Missing link to LLO and the Wiki

Discuss technical problems and features here
tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Missing link to LLO and the Wiki

Postby tommus » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:05 pm

Maybe I have been here too long and cannot see the forest for the trees. But is there a link anywhere on forum.language-learners.org back to language-learners.org? I know there has been discussion on the subject. But I have searched everywhere on the Forum and can't find a way back to the main page (and then to the Wiki, etc.) other than using the URL.

I think there would be a lot more interest in, and support for, the Wiki if there was a prominent direct link from the Forum to the Wiki. Probably a lot of newcomers get to the Forum without ever knowing there is a Wiki, and never go there. And probably a lot of veterans on the Forum never go to the Wiki because it is out-of-sight, out-of-mind.

The Forum is a very active place. The Wiki is a very useful place. I suggest that we have a big signpost pointing to the Wiki.
6 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Missing link to LLO and the Wiki

Postby rdearman » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:13 pm

tommus wrote:Maybe I have been here too long and cannot see the forest for the trees. But is there a link anywhere on forum.language-learners.org back to language-learners.org? I know there has been discussion on the subject. But I have searched everywhere on the Forum and can't find a way back to the main page (and then to the Wiki, etc.) other than using the URL.

I think there would be a lot more interest in, and support for, the Wiki if there was a prominent direct link from the Forum to the Wiki. Probably a lot of newcomers get to the Forum without ever knowing there is a Wiki, and never go there. And probably a lot of veterans on the Forum never go to the Wiki because it is out-of-sight, out-of-mind.

The Forum is a very active place. The Wiki is a very useful place. I suggest that we have a big signpost pointing to the Wiki.

That is a very good idea and I think we could all those links along the bottom in the footer. This is done by an to edit overall_footer.html and a refresh of the templates (in the styles tab) after making any changes so the changes will show up. We do have our site under source code control in GitHub, so if any web-designer types want to insert the links?

https://github.com/language-learners/phpbb
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

nexus
White Belt

Postby nexus » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:39 am

Last edited by nexus on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:56 am

No that doesn't work (I tried it) it breaks the breadcrumbs because the forum is on a sub-domain rather than just a sub-directory of our main site. In addition the wiki site isn't hosted here.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

tommus
Blue Belt

Postby tommus » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:18 pm

The main page of the Learn Any Language Wiki has quite obsolete headlines as the main welcome. Both main headlines are about HTLAL going down, etc.

http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Learn_Any_Language

I know that anyone can edit these headlines and the Wiki. However, seeing that both headlines and the accompanying information were put there by our LLorg moderators, perhaps it is best to ask them if they also feel that the headlines are obsolete, and indeed perhaps now inappropriate, and if so, remove them, or replace them with something more appropriate for LLorg.
4 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:37 pm

If we are going to have static content on the main site and the wiki, we ought to have an obvious link to the main site and the wiki here on the forum header, soon.
7 x

tommus
Blue Belt

Postby tommus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:21 pm

iguanamon wrote:If we are going to have static content on the main site and the wiki, we ought to have an obvious link to the main site and the wiki here on the forum header, soon.

I'd like to bring some more attention to this topic. We have been discussing the need for a very obvious link from the Forum to the Wikia for 1 to 2 years. Everyone seems to agree it is a badly needed feature because the Wikia is out-of-sight, out-of-mind. It contains great info, but it is getting very stale because few people think about it. I'll bet most users here don't even know it exists. And if you take a look at the main page of the Wikia, you will see just how stale it is:

http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Learn_Any_Language

The main headline is devoted to worrying about the status of HTLAL. In the "What's New on Learn any Language", the latest news is from May 8th, 2014. That front page is not a good message to send to potential users. And again, I think it is stale because of the lack of a clear and visible link from here on the Forum.

If I had the knowledge about the phpBB system and skill to help with such a link, I would help. But I don't. I see on another thread that there is much concern with finding a new Forum tag line. I think a much more important issue is this link from the Forum to the Wikia. It would remind current members to use it, to add to the Wikia, and keep it fresh. And it would be very helpful in keeping the attention of new users.

So can we discuss this issue again and see if we can get this much needed link?
8 x

tommus
Blue Belt

Postby tommus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:18 pm

If I knew more about phpBB systems, I'd be more helpful. But maybe this link will help. I hope it applies to our version of phpBB.

Adding buttons to the navigation bar

So we should add two buttons/links to the navigation bar:

Language Learners' Forum Blog

Language Learners' Forum Wikia

These two buttons/links on the Forum pages would be a very significant improvement in the functionality and the effectiveness of LLorg.
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Thanks to tommus for keeping this thread alive. It is obvious that links to the wiki and static content would be would be useful. My own guide to language learning is out there in the static area, but I have also stored it as an ordinary thread (with a link in the first message of my log) precisely because there isn't a simple way to find the other version. Actually I don't know which of the two versions is most impossible to find, but they are both well kept secrets as things are right now, and that situation doesn't invite others to publish their stuff outside the forum itself.

If it should turn out to be difficult to change the footers or menus then it could maybe be done via a permanently visible message or through some other mechanism, but we'll have to leave the choice of method to our administrators.
3 x

tommus
Blue Belt

Postby tommus » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:07 pm

So as not to further hijack the thread on New blog post on Static site by LinguaPony, I will return to this thread about the missing links to our Blog and Wikia.

From the other thread,
rdearman wrote:The problem is that in order to put a link to another site on the forum we'd have to modify the code of the forum to allow such links to be embedded

As I have admitted earlier, I am not familiar with the phpBB code. But I see that the phpBB home page itself has a whole row of links, such as the ones we need. It even has a link to its Blog.

phpBB home page

So it seems to me that no code changes are required.

Could we not use the code from the phpBB home page with our links embedded?
0 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”