tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Gender-related things

Postby tarvos » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:43 am

Was there ever a point where the forum required you to specify gender? I do not think I ever saw it, but I might have been forced to when I signed up. If so, please let me know where that would be because I can't find it. If it simply isn't there, it doesn't matter :)
2 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Gender-related things

Postby Cavesa » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:08 am

tarvos wrote:Was there ever a point where the forum required you to specify gender? I do not think I ever saw it, but I might have been forced to when I signed up. If so, please let me know where that would be because I can't find it. If it simply isn't there, it doesn't matter :)

I think it simply isn't there. And I don't find it actually inconvenient. Yeah, I get called "he" a lot (at least when I don't have a photo uploaded), but it doesn't bother me too much. Not that I'd expect any kind of sexism around here, I just don't find gender to be a crucial bit of info about a language learner.

But I'd be quite interested in the general opinion. Do you think the community would benefit from people sharing the info about their gender and/or perhaps another kind of characteristics?
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:14 am

I don't remember it being there either. And I don't see it as being important. I don't necessarily know the gender of other members unless they have a picture or name that makes it obvious or I read their logs enough to have found out. You can, of course, put whatever you want in the sidebar or signature of your profile, but I don't think it should be required in the profile as there are people who don't really fit the binary division of gender that is generally assumed.
2 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:47 am

Cavesa wrote:
tarvos wrote:Was there ever a point where the forum required you to specify gender? I do not think I ever saw it, but I might have been forced to when I signed up. If so, please let me know where that would be because I can't find it. If it simply isn't there, it doesn't matter :)

I think it simply isn't there. And I don't find it actually inconvenient. Yeah, I get called "he" a lot (at least when I don't have a photo uploaded), but it doesn't bother me too much. Not that I'd expect any kind of sexism around here, I just don't find gender to be a crucial bit of info about a language learner.

But I'd be quite interested in the general opinion. Do you think the community would benefit from people sharing the info about their gender and/or perhaps another kind of characteristics?

I find it hugely convenient it isn't there. There's a reason my cover pic is the South Korean sea :) I just wanted to know if I'd missed it, so that I could adapt it if required. I certainly don't want it on here...
4 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:55 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I don't remember it being there either. And I don't see it as being important. I don't necessarily know the gender of other members unless they have a picture or name that makes it obvious or I read their logs enough to have found out. You can, of course, put whatever you want in the sidebar or signature of your profile, but I don't think it should be required in the profile as there are people who don't really fit the binary division of gender that is generally assumed.
It's also possible to offer more than just the default options. For example: female, male, genderqueer, other, prefer not to specify.
Although I agree that generally it shouldn't make a difference.
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

steyyan
Orange Belt
Languages: NO, en, de, es, nl, fr, ja

Postby steyyan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:56 pm

Cavesa wrote:Yeah, I get called "he" a lot (at least when I don't have a photo uploaded),

I used to be called "she" a few times on another forum due to my username being "stifa", despite there being a blue male symbol (that circle with arrow thing) right next to my username, so I don't think that would help much.

I personally don't think it's worth the effort. I use the singular they almost automatically anyway ("he or she" and so forth seem more clunky to me) when I don't know someone's gender (for instance when they've not got a picture of themselves).
4 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”