Am I supposed to list my languages in my profile somewhere?

Discuss technical problems and features here
TiglathPileser3
Languages: American English (N), German (advanced), French (intermediate)

Am I supposed to list my languages in my profile somewhere?

Postby TiglathPileser3 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:42 pm

My languages are American English (native), German (advanced 2nd language), French (intermediate), and Swiss-German (a little). Am I supposed to list this in my profile somewhere?
1 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Re: Am I supposed to list my languages in my profile somewhere?

Postby sillygoose1 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:08 pm

You can if you want to, but no one is going to force you to (that I'm aware of :P).
3 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:10 pm

You can if you want to, but it's not mandatory. You have your three approved posts, so you will be able to edit your profile. Simply click on your username (should be in the upper right hand corner of the screen), User Account Control and then the 'Profile' tab.
2 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:49 pm

There is no requirement but it is a big courtesy to other forum members and can give your posts more weight when commenting or posting. Filling out your language profile can also help others to help you better.
7 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)

Postby iguanamon » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:22 am

BUMP. I keep noticing more and more new members who aren't bothering to fill out their profiles. Without context, it makes it difficult to respond to their posts and see from what point they're coming.

Newbies: You may fill out you profile after three posts. Please do this as a courtesy to other forum members.
13 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:37 pm

iguanamon wrote:Please do this as a courtesy to other forum members.

I totally agree. I find that many of the more interesting postings and questions come from new members or other members who have no profile at all. I often look at the profile to further understand the posting, and am often disappointed to see nothing. As a minimum, it would be good to have at least the country and the native language, and preferably at least the main target language. It would improve the quality of the forum, and probably would improve the quality and chance of a reply to questions.
4 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

annie25
Languages: English (N), French (basic conversational), Italian (basic conversational), Swedish (beginner, studying now)

Postby annie25 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:06 pm

This would be a good thing to add to the FAQ. I just spent a good few minutes going back and forth trying to find where to add languages!
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:24 pm

annie25 wrote:This would be a good thing to add to the FAQ. I just spent a good few minutes going back and forth trying to find where to add languages!

FAQ question number 2

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1792
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

annie25
Languages: English (N), French (basic conversational), Italian (basic conversational), Swedish (beginner, studying now)

Postby annie25 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:32 pm

rdearman wrote:
annie25 wrote:This would be a good thing to add to the FAQ. I just spent a good few minutes going back and forth trying to find where to add languages!

FAQ question number 2

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1792

Thanks for the link - I did figure that out within seconds of my previous post! Sorry. :oops:
What I should have written is, that for dippy folk like me who are scanning the FAQ looking for the word 'languages' and not absorbing the words in front of us, something along the lines of "Why can't I amend my profile or add my languages?" would have been most helpful... :D
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby iguanamon » Mon May 09, 2016 3:34 pm

BUMP AGAIN!!!

OK, the problem is becoming more and more common now. Most new users are not bothering to fill out their profiles at all. This makes it difficult to respond to their posts because the normal incomplete information is now even more incomplete! We should look into allowing new members to fill out their profiles upon joining. We'll still be able to detect spam. If that isn't possible, perhaps an automated message after their third post reminding them to do this.

This is really starting to get frustrating. I don't really see this as a privacy issue. It just helps more experienced members to give better responses. Maybe we need to go back to a "Speaks" & "Studies" column like we had on HTLAL. I can't make sense out of a profile that reads:
"Languages: English, French, Italian". What does this mean? Do you speak English natively? Do you speak French and Italian or are you just studying them?

NEWBIES:
After you reach three posts you may fill out your profiles. PLEASE do this so we can better help you. It's a courtesy to everyone else here who want to help you. If I don't know what your language-learning experience is, it's hard for me to taylor my advice. I don't want to be giving an experienced learner advice I would give to a neophyte beginner and vice versa.

SENIOR MEMBERS: it would also be nice if you would do this too- at least for languages, not necessarily your location . I understand some of you don't want to list your native-languages for whatever reason- some fear discrimination or typecasting. Some seem to portray themselves as experts on language-learning and yet- nothing about what languages they've learned to a high level, studied or anything. Of course, long-time members know some of their experience from years on the forum, but newer members will not have that advantage. How could it hurt to tell us about your language-learning experience upon which you base your opinions? Of course, I realize that some will simply not do this, no matter. Still, please consider doing it. It's a courtesy to everyone else and tends to give your posts more weight.
8 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”