[Update] Deal with Spammers

Discuss technical problems and features here
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: How to deal with Spammers

Postby rdearman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:34 pm

tomgosse wrote:Here is the kind of post that confuses me: tertrih. First time poster, no introduction, just promoting a link to his you tube channel. I did not report it, but I did send him a private message reminding him of the self-promotion policy. I tried to be polite. If I'm out of bounds doing that, please let me know.

The video is not selling anything, but has a link in it's comments to a facebook page that does have some items for sale. I have no idea what the purpose of the video is. His French accent is worse than mine. :roll: A quick Google search on his name indicates he is a developer of a conlang.

I appoligize if I'm making this topic more confused than it should be. I may be falling into the, "What about this?," trap.

You've run into the grey area which I normally leave to the moderation team myself. It could be this person is just introducing themselves to the forum, or they could be a drive-by spammer. I'd be inclined to report it and let the mods decide. Or in the case of a grey area like the one you've linked to, just ask the person to introduce themselves to the forum. If there isn't any response in a few days, it will eventually get buried by new topics.
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: How to deal with Spammers

Postby emk » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:20 pm

tomgosse wrote:First time poster, no introduction, just promoting a link to his you tube channel. I did not report it, but I did send him a private message reminding him of the self-promotion policy. I tried to be polite. If I'm out of bounds doing that, please let me know.

The video is not selling anything, but has a link in it's comments to a facebook page that does have some items for sale. I have no idea what the purpose of the video is. His French accent is worse than mine. :roll: A quick Google search on his name indicates he is a developer of a conlang.

I appoligize if I'm making this topic more confused than it should be. I may be falling into the, "What about this?," trap.

Yeah, there's a lot of borderline posts from new users in the Resources room. As a general rule, feel free to do any of the following:

• Just hit the report button and say, "This one looks a little spammy."
  • Write a short review saying, "This looks like an overpriced, inferior version of existing product X," if you feel inspired to do so.
  • Say, "Hey, that's an awesome idea and I've been looking for it for years."
As moderators, our goal is to keep the forum interesting and useful for the community, and to tempt other language learners into joining. This means we'll remove most of the ads for crappy products, and occasionally offer more leeway to awesome stuff. But if the community is having fun talking about an especially awful product, hey, whatever amuses folks. (Like I said, we can always just lock the spammer's account and delete their links, if it comes to that.) Basically, if a new user shows up and promotes a product without asking permission, we reserve the right to respond in whatever way we think is most interesting for the community.

As for the huge drive-by spams, honestly, people probably don't even need to report those, because we'll notice them the next time we log in anyway and just nuke the user and delete all their posts. But what we do find really helpful is when folks help us notice the "sneaky" spammers; the folks who make five short posts and then start mentioning their Chinese language school in threads where it's almost on topic. Those we won't necessarily notice on our own, and reports are super useful.
7 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Re: [Update] Deal with Spammers

Postby Carmody » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:44 pm

TomG-
I think the moderators are doing an admirable job of running the forum.

+1
4 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”