Login is really slow

Discuss technical problems and features here
iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Login is really slow

Postby iguanamon » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:15 pm

I have to log-in every time now... then 504 error. Forum has become unusable for all practical intents and purposes. I'm surprised we haven't heard from rdearman or emk. rdearman tweets- about things to do to stop being bored. Here's a suggestion "bored, just come on the forum and tell us what's going on", please.
1 x

bolaobo
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin Chinese, German, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19845

Postby bolaobo » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:51 pm

For now, it appears to be back to normal to me and page is loading at normal speed.

What is going on?
0 x
Perfectionnement Arabe: 12 / 70 New Arabic Grammar: 31 / 51
Le Grec Ancien: 15 / 101
Hindi ohne Mühe: 44 / 54
Le Persan: 86 / 86
Le Turc: 19 / 71
Tobira: 4 / 15

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:57 pm

I suspect neither admin is aware of the current problem (or was just recently made aware) but cannot say for sure. If memory serves, the server may need to be rebooted outside of the normal schedule. On servers that I administer for work purposes, what has always helped me mitigate this type of situation is to establish a few core reliable custom email alerts made and tested 'by hand', rather than using a monitoring tool. I give it purely as a general suggestion for post-mortem to those involved in development. There may be several leading indicators that could trigger an alert in advance of need concurrent with or before end-users notice.

For those currently experiencing issues, I don't have a user-oriented workaround. However, I can navigate and use the forum. In case it helps anyone, I always click remember me on login, open threads in new tabs only, click once to process a like action, leaving the tab open until it shows as registered, and limit overall forum time in case the server overload is an issue with too many users trying to navigate on a taxed server. Searches per usual are best done via Google if they are necessary at all. I have started logging out when finished in case that helps as well. I would suggest saving any lengthy new posts offline (word doc/notepad) and in the rare event that a restore from an earlier point may be needed just as a simple and time inexpensive precaution (myself not knowing the details of the issue but being familiar with problems on different platforms in the past).
5 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:30 pm

I only just attempted to login to the forum today, so I haven't noticed the errors. I didn't have a problem logging in, although I noticed I had been logged out which was unusual. I've looked around and everything seems to be ticking along OK at the moment. I suspect we had another round of Bots trying to create accounts on the system. I've spoken to EMK and he'll be able to check into the server history (it is stored on his AWS account) and get more information.

Sorry for the disruption.
11 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:25 am

The problem is still there, although the situation was even worse Monday. I have also been logged out even though I always mark "remember me", and I have noticed another weird detail: now each tab is marked (645) - and only that. I don't remember this situation from earlier times so when I first saw it I thought that the forum had been hacked, but now I just see it as a sign that it isn't functioning normally yet.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:45 am

Emk and I think we need a reboot. Emk will perform it as soon as he can.
10 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

ryanheise
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner)

Postby ryanheise » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:40 am

By the way, I get the same challenge question (12 divided by 6) each time I'm forced to re-login, which is probably not an ideal preventative measure against bots.
0 x

cito
Orange Belt
Languages: english (N) //
use: french
study: latin, modern greek
study sometimes: spanish, russian, old english
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17064

Postby cito » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:38 pm

ryanheise wrote:By the way, I get the same challenge question (12 divided by 6) each time I'm forced to re-login, which is probably not an ideal preventative measure against bots.

Site has been quite slow for me lately, but I haven't had this issue. I did think recently, however, that it is possible bots may be logging in with Chat-GPT or other AI to solve the log-in questions, as for something like an advanced language model, they can probably solve the questions quite easily.
2 x
50 French Books: 20 / 50
Greek ASSIMIL: 35 / 100
Russian ASSIMIL: 43 / 100
(On Pause)
Latin ASSIMIL: 29 / 101
Spanish ASSIMIL: 40 / 100

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:00 am

I got in without delay today - and that's the first time in a fairly long time. Even when it was possible to get in during this period it took a long time, and probably due to the delay the system asked for login data. And at other times it wouldn't even open the login screens. I hope the easy access this time wasn't a one time fluke. HTLA>L largely died because its administrator didn't care about it. At least we are not in the same boat with Llorg.

PS: maybe I was too optimistic - the system is now again beginning to open and store pages slowly. But so far it works...
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:26 pm

For me login worked okay and navigating the site works okay, no errors, but it is sluggish.
FWIW, I noted also logging out took longer than usual, too.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”