Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Re: Login is really slow

Postby garyb » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:14 pm

This is the first time I've managed to access the forum in a few weeks, and it's still extremely slow and sometimes timing out.
6 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:25 am

Well, I am in Penna. in USA and for the past month I have not been able to access the Forum; and now it is intermittent and times out.

I love the Forum and miss it very much but maybe that is not enough to keep it going.

I run Windows 11 with multiple browsers that work great on other sites but this site seems very flaky to say the least. I am concerned the degredation of the signal has gone on for so very long without any remedy. It has become the new normal to not get in and then when I do the waiting to respond to posts and the timing out.

I am sure I am not the only person who wishes they could do something to address the situation. If rdearman is off building things elsewhere I respect that but maybe someone else could step in and address the chronic problems that are impacting us.

Very Sad at the state of affairs but hopeful....I think we all wish there was something in our power to correct the situation.
3 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:40 pm

Forum goes from really fast to pathetically slow. It has, sadly become practically unusable on a regular basis. Lots of 504 timeouts. Here's hoping emk and rdearman come up with a solution soon.
Last edited by iguanamon on Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:43 pm

There has been some faster movement, but it was very limited. I get logged out all the time (yes, I check the tab to keep me logged in!) and then logging back in is like crawling through a vat of molasses. 504 between each step, multiple times.

I did read the explanation from emk though, so I realise the issue.
2 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:42 am

I'm experiencing much the same as everyone else...504 timeouts, AJAX errors, missing graphics, and super slow response times on the rare occasion I manage to log in. In a nutshell, our forum has been largely inaccessible or painfully slow for the past fortnight. With so many members no doubt wishing to make a fresh start to the year, I hope the situation can be resolved soon. I'm very grateful for all the hard work that Rick and emk put in, as well as the moderators. I would be happy to contribute financially to its upkeep, and I think many other members would too.
15 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:15 am

I think I'm going to have to check back in a few weeks. It's a bit exhausting having multiples of 504 timeouts between clicks. I'm sure this will be ironed out before long. I look forward to it. Cheerio until then!
1 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:51 pm

Login and navigating the site and ajax worked smoothly for me this morning. (Jan 6, 2024, 10:49 AM Central Time USA). Looks like emk worked his magic, for which thanks. :)
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:05 pm

Also continuing to work for me, so additional thanks to emk from me as well.

It feels great to be back in, only—no-one else has been able to access either, so there’s barely anything to read! I certainly tried posting, but this time couldn’t even get to the point of losing half-typed posts. A remarkably complete shut-out!
2 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:25 pm

Midway through the ordeal I planned to write something down to post whenever it was possible, but the plan fizzled out. I checked regular whether I could get to at least a login screen within 10-15 seconds, and if even that wasn't possible then I just did something else with no relation to this site (and barely to language learning). However today I have been able to get in, and if it just continues then I am back in my normal routine. If (or when) the site becomes blocked again I'll continue to check in a couple of times daily - and if getting in then isn't up to normal speed then it hardly serves any purpose to try again and again.

Others may have dropped out for good, and some may have taken a pause (like Le Baron) - and then they will of course not discover if the site has been accessible again. But I remember that we had similar problems a couple of years ago, and somehow the site got through the storm. Let's hope it lasts this time, but rebooting only provide a temporary respite. The fundamental problem is still that unruly bots take up all available capacity.
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:28 pm

Everything works fine now. (Even the boiler in my house.)
4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”