Dark Mode?

Discuss technical problems and features here
kraemder
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Japanese (JLPT N2)
German (read several books)
Spanish (read a couple books)
Korean (studying for about a year semi seriously)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1204

Dark Mode?

Postby kraemder » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:37 pm

I have dark mode enabled on my browser but this site still shows up normal with a nice white background for the posts. I have floaters and it would be really nice to have dark mode work to hide the floaters. Is it possible to use the site with dark mode on and maybe I'm just not doing it right or is this site just not dark mode friendly?
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Dark Mode?

Postby rdearman » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:15 am

You can change the theme from the default to something else. I am not sure if we have a dark mode theme installed.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:40 am

User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Global Settings > My board style (toward the bottom)

“Digi” is the dark theme.
6 x

kraemder
Green Belt
Japanese (JLPT N2)
German (read several books)
Spanish (read a couple books)
Korean (studying for about a year semi seriously)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1204

Postby kraemder » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:59 am

tastyonions wrote:User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Global Settings > My board style (toward the bottom)

“Digi” is the dark theme.

This is a real life saver! Thank you!
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:52 am

I started using the Digi theme a few weeks ago and it's good, but just has no custom header. Practically every site I routinely visit is switched to dark theme. It's a great relief on the eyes.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:43 pm

When this forum was established it was light blue, but switched to grey around November 2015, However I preferred the old colors and chose to retain to the blue colour scheme. As it happened I used the rare reptile below to mark my point:

Gorgona-anole_64644_580_360.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:48 pm

There is a way to identify that a user has dark mode enabled and automatically switch to darker colours in CSS (the language used to style Web pages), but it's new-ish especially compared to the venerable phpBB software and its themes, so I doubt we'll ever benefit from it here! So setting your theme in the forum options is the only way.
0 x

Kullman
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N) Galician (N) English (B2)

Postby Kullman » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:56 am

What I don't like is than the Dark Mode got the phpBB logo instead of the Language Learners Forum text.

Anyways, a dark mode reduces the power consumption, increases the battery life and, ultimately, is better for the enviroment.

Maybe it would be nice to organize some sort of contest/poll to find a new logo for the forum.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:51 pm

Kullman wrote:Anyways, a dark mode reduces the power consumption, increases the battery life and, ultimately, is better for the enviroment.

Dark mode saves energy on OLED displays, but not LCD-LED displays. LCD-LED displays require a backlight that shines at a constant intensity, and to darken a spot, an electric current manipulates the crystals so that light gets blocked. This requires energy. While your phone may have OLED displays, most computers and monitors still use LCD-LED displays. It is clear that dark mode does save energy, but only on OLED devices. This is because the construction of OLED displays is such that dark mode does not require energy to block light by manipulating crystals, as is the case in LCD-LED displays.

According to the results of a new study by PhD student Pranab Dash and Charlie Hu, a professor of electrical and computer engineering, an OLED display draws between 44% and 73% of a phone's total power (averaged across the apps and devices) while in light mode at maximum brightness.

Most people don't put their screen on full brightness, however, so the study also measured the impact of brightness on energy drain. That gave a surprising figure for battery life.

At 100% screen brightness, the switch from light to dark mode reduced a phone's power consumption by an average of 42% overall.

But at a 50% brightness level, switching only saved 8.5% battery, and at 30% brightness that saving was less than 5%.

So unless you need the display at high brightness, like on a sunny day, 'dark mode' will only save a small percentage of battery life — so little that you might not even notice.

On a side note, changing the logo would require messing around with the system files, and I work on the theory that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". :D
8 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:42 pm

There does seem to be another side benefit to this dark mode, for me at least: not accidentally quoting myself! There are two orange buttons in the middle of the four and the edit button feels easier not to miss, I routinely made the mistake before. I wish the other skin was like that. Though it may be that I'm just a clumsy plonker.
0 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”