Emergency contact info

Discuss technical problems and features here
emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Emergency contact info

Postby emk » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:12 pm

Hey, first I'd like to apologize for being an absent server maintainer. There have been some technical problems for years, largely related to broken proxy configuration between nginx and phpBB. At some point, rdearman and I will need to figure that out, and review the larger hosting situation. It's just that life has been busy for a long time. :-/

But in the meantime, some emergency contact updates in case the forum suddenly catches fire and people need to find me:

• rdearman has the ability to reach me pretty quickly.
  • I have largely ignored my Twitter accounts for the last 6 years or so. :? But I am more active on Mastodon recently, and I am currently easy to reach there.
I really ought to write an introduction to Mastodon for language learners! Because the network is organized into a collection of "instances", it's possible to join an instance in a country that speaks a language you're learning. You can still follow people all around the world, of course! But there's also a "Local" timeline of just the people on your server, which is a good place to look for conversations in the local language. (And you can move your account between instances after you sign up, without losing any followers.) I'd be happy to make a "guide to Mastodon for language learners" if anyone is interested.
7 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Emergency contact info

Postby iguanamon » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:30 pm

Good to hear from you again, emk. I just followed you on mastadon. I agree that mastadon is good for language learners. I joined the Catalan local site. I needed more input in Catalan and I get much more on mastadon than I do on twitter. I'm still learning how things work on the tusk site. It's not as easy to find people and organizations there, but I'll get there, eventually, I'm sure.

Again, welcome back! It would be great to see you here a little more often, even if only now and then. You are missed.
4 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: Emergency contact info

Postby emk » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:38 pm

Thank you for the kind words! I have missed everyone here, too. Though it's my own fault for not dropping by. I spent my pandemic years focusing on family and work. I just didn't have a lot of spare bandwidth.

I am delighted to hear that Mastodon has helped with Catalan! If it has helped two of us, then I will write a post about how to use it as a language learner!

EDIT: Here is the post on Mastodon!
5 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”