Can we Turn Off the Automated Spelling Checker?

Discuss technical problems and features here
haziz
Orange Belt
Languages: English (L2 but at native level - my primary language), Spanish (Beginner - ?A1), Egyptian Arabic (N but not using the language), Modern Standard Arabic (?C1 passive/reading, A2 active/writing - also not using), French (Studied in school but retained very little).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19722

Can we Turn Off the Automated Spelling Checker?

Postby haziz » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:40 am

Is there a spell checker running in the background with the phpBB software? If yes, can we turn it off?

As I type posts on this forum, I have to remain vigilant, and prevent the automated spell checker that seems to reside in the forum software from converting my humble attempts at Spanish, or conceivably other languages, into hilarious sounding English.

I am noticing this on an Apple Mac, running Safari; so it is not on a phone/tablet. I don't think it is the browser itself that is running the spell checker, but I could be mistaken.

Thanks.
0 x
Spanish:
: 23 / 55 FSI
: 16 / 126 Gramática de uso del español
: 1 / 15 Spanish for Reading
: 11 / 52 Destinos
: 3 / 2500 24/25 Super Challenge Reading
: 79 / 4500 24/25 Super Challenge Watching

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: Can we Turn Off the Automated Spelling Checker?

Postby emk » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:47 am

haziz wrote:Is there a spell checker running in the background with the phpBB software? If yes, can we turn it off?

I am not aware of any built-in spelling checker in phpBB. The only spell checkers I see on any of the browsers and mobile devices I've tried are the ones built into the web browsers. You might want to check your phone settings to see if you can set up switchable keyboards for different languages.

If you can't find any obvious way to deactivate the spell checker you're seeing, you could try posting a screenshot and seeing if anybody recognizes it.
0 x

haziz
Orange Belt
Languages: English (L2 but at native level - my primary language), Spanish (Beginner - ?A1), Egyptian Arabic (N but not using the language), Modern Standard Arabic (?C1 passive/reading, A2 active/writing - also not using), French (Studied in school but retained very little).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19722

Postby haziz » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:03 am

emk wrote:
haziz wrote:Is there a spell checker running in the background with the phpBB software? If yes, can we turn it off?

I am not aware of any built-in spelling checker in phpBB. The only spell checkers I see on any of the browsers and mobile devices I've tried are the ones built into the web browsers. You might want to check your phone settings to see if you can set up switchable keyboards for different languages.

If you can't find any obvious way to deactivate the spell checker you're seeing, you could try posting a screenshot and seeing if anybody recognizes it.

I am used to it on a phone or tablet, but this seems to be also running on the Safari browser on an Apple Mac laptop.
0 x
Spanish:
: 23 / 55 FSI
: 16 / 126 Gramática de uso del español
: 1 / 15 Spanish for Reading
: 11 / 52 Destinos
: 3 / 2500 24/25 Super Challenge Reading
: 79 / 4500 24/25 Super Challenge Watching

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:16 am

There isn't a spell checker on this site. But try to go to a different website with a comment box or contact us and try there. If you see the spell checker on another site it must be the browser.
2 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:24 pm

It must be a spell checker on your computer. I have never seen any sign of spell checker activity when I write in other languages, and the forum software doesn't even correct my spelling errors in English - I have to take care of that myself.
1 x

Allison
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native), Spanish (high intermediate-ish), American Sign Language (ASL) (I dabble occasionally)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5177

Postby Allison » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:49 pm

Safari does have its own spell checker, but I believe it's linked to the overall Mac preferences. If you google something like "turn off safari spell check" you'll probably find instructions.
1 x

Pekoral
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (C2), German (B1), French (A2), Standard Chinese (A2), Japanese (A2), Latin, Akkadian, Sumerian

Postby Pekoral » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:05 am

Apple has implemented a system wide spell checker in OS X as well as iOS, and it applies to all text files that are made with the Cocoa Frame work, except in Word, where Microsoft has hard coded their own spell checker into the programme. I would say, however, that the spell checker is very nice: it can recognize that I am writing English now, but when I'm writing Swedish it applies Swedish spelling rules instead. It also replaces common misspellings and typos. And, of course, one can add words to the dictionary, etc. etc. But, if you want to turn it off, it can be done in the System Preferences, under the Language and Localization panel.
1 x
pekoral, litterärt verk kännetecknat av den icke avsedda komiska effekt som uppstår ur kontrasten mellan författarens aningslösa banalitet och hans misslyckade ansträngningar att imitera en högstämd eller högtidlig stil.

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”