What file types can be attached to posts in this forum?

Discuss technical problems and features here
mrwarper
Orange Belt
Languages: A bunch, in various stages
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... ?TID=39905

What file types can be attached to posts in this forum?

Postby mrwarper » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:22 pm

While I wait for an answer to the question I asked here, I thought I'd start exploring what I can (not) do in the new forum.

The first thing I tried was to write a new post and attach files to it, and I would need to know
what kind of files can be attached to posts in this forum. If there's a list, a simple pointer to it will do.

I have tried several on my own, and apparently I can upload everything I want inside .zip archives, which is a good thing, and solves the problem in general, but the post editor throws an 'invalid file extension' with another few common file types I have tried, such as txt, html, or .pdf. Is there a reason for this, or simply nobody needed to do it so far? A JPG image seemed to work OK.
0 x
MrWarper while HTLAL is offline.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: What file types can be attached to posts in this forum?

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:37 am

Welcome back!
Note that files and images uploaded here are dependent on the the bb file management system and not stored directly in the bb database.
You may want to self host and then link here. In this manner you control the historical availability. I’ve lost content over the years when backups and restores did not take into consideration file structure. Obviously, links are always maintained if the post is not deleted.

For your programming projects, in my humble opinion - post them in the general discussion area if they are of general internet and the dev area if the are specific to the development of the forum. But it seems that getting new dev integrated is going to be on hold for a bit - until the lead tech admin (EMK - busy with real world business, etc) can get to it or pass the reins.
Last edited by zenmonkey on Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

mrwarper
Orange Belt

Postby mrwarper » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:37 am

zenmonkey wrote:Welcome back!
Thank you! ^^
Note that files and images uploaded here are dependent on the the bb file management system which is less than perfect and not stored directly in the bb database.
You may want to self host and then link here. In this manner you control the historical availability. I’ve lost content over the years when backups and restores did not take into consideration file structure. Obviously, links are always maintained if the post is not deleted.
OK. I have set up a few fora before, and having binary blobs (f.e. multi-megapixel images) inserted into a database to bloat it is not without its faults either, but thanks for the warning : )
For your programming projects, in my humble opinion - post them in the general discussion area if they are of general internet and the dev area if the are specific to the development of the forum. But it seems that getting new dev integrated is going to be on hold for a bit - until the lead tech admin (EMK - busy with real world business, etc) can get to it or pass the reins.
Thanks for your advice again. I'll still wait for a couple of days, but General discussion is what I was more or less planning already -- for the moment being, the projects I want to work on are not related to the forum itself, or fora in general. If they can be integrated into the site at a later point, that is great, but I am used to interesting stuff taking bloody ages so no hurries.

Now I just want honest feedback from (not necessarily IT-savvy) fellow language learners, which will hopefully give me a reason to push my development. In turn, this needs a way to make samples and other signs of progress readily available so I can get such feedback.

I assume being able to use a forum on the Internet kind of implies people IT skill level should be enough to let them use my stuff and help with it, but this is already an artificial requirement of sorts, and by no means do I want to make it any more complicated (f.e. by forcing to unzip downloads, or somesuch). Knowing how to download a file and open it should be enough IMHO.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:41 am

By default, I have only enabled images and archives, however I can add other file extensions like document extensions. However, the amount I can add is limited to media files (read audio), document files (pdf, docx, etc) and plain text/source code (.txt, .c, .h, etc).

What is it you desire?
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:05 am

mrwarper wrote:OK. I have set up a few fora before, and having binary blobs (f.e. multi-megapixel images) inserted into a database to bloat it is not without its faults either, but thanks for the warning : )

Most certainly. My comment was an observation and not a criticism. I think using the file system makes sense. It’s just that both backup and moving to a cloud system then have other risks/complications. It’s actually the right thing to do (or at least how I develop web apps).

]Thanks for your advice again. I'll still wait for a couple of days, but General discussion is what I was more or less planning already -- for the moment being, the projects I want to work on are not related to the forum itself, or fora in general. If they can be integrated into the site at a later point, that is great, but I am used to interesting stuff taking bloody ages so no hurries.

Now I just want honest feedback from (not necessarily IT-savvy) fellow language learners, which will hopefully give me a reason to push my development. In turn, this needs a way to make samples and other signs of progress readily available so I can get such feedback.

I assume being able to use a forum on the Internet kind of implies people IT skill level should be enough to let them use my stuff and help with it, but this is already an artificial requirement of sorts, and by no means do I want to make it any more complicated (f.e. by forcing to unzip downloads, or somesuch). Knowing how to download a file and open it should be enough IMHO.

There are lots of different skill levels here and several developers too. You’ll get a great mix of good feedback.
Looking forward to seeing your project thoughts.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

mrwarper
Orange Belt

Postby mrwarper » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:07 am

rdearman wrote:[...] the amount I can add is limited to media files (read audio), document files (pdf, docx, etc) and plain text/source code (.txt, .c, .h, etc).

What is it you desire?

I have no intention whatsoever of asking anyone to look at C code or compile anything :D

For all my intents and purposes, adding .htm(l), .pdf, and .txt to the current types would be more than sufficient, thank you. Wouldn't you think these might be useful in general for other users as well?

Thank you in advance.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:22 pm

mrwarper wrote:
rdearman wrote:[...] the amount I can add is limited to media files (read audio), document files (pdf, docx, etc) and plain text/source code (.txt, .c, .h, etc).

What is it you desire?

I have no intention whatsoever of asking anyone to look at C code or compile anything :D

For all my intents and purposes, adding .htm(l), .pdf, and .txt to the current types would be more than sufficient, thank you. Wouldn't you think these might be useful in general for other users as well?

Thank you in advance.

Depends on what they do with them. But I've added them now, so you should be able to attach most document types, but not HTML files. The forum software doesn't support the upload or embedding of html, probably for good reason.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

mrwarper
Orange Belt

Postby mrwarper » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:43 pm

zenmonkey wrote:My comment was an observation and not a criticism.

I didn't think it was, no worries : )
I think using the file system makes sense. It’s just that both backup and moving to a cloud system then have other risks/complications. It’s actually the right thing to do (or at least how I develop web apps).
Same here ^^
Files will be expendable at least for a while though, so no worries at all.
There are lots of different skill levels here and several developers too. You’ll get a great mix of good feedback.

Yes, I know, and I hope I will.
Looking forward to seeing your project thoughts.

Thank you!
1 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”