samfrances
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: British English
Learning: Spanish (B1/B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2967

Feature request: favourite posts

Postby samfrances » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:35 am

Hi

Just a quick feature request. It would be great to be able to save particular posts to a list of favourites that you could refer to later. There are some real gems of advice on this forum but its easy to lose them.

Many thanks
3 x
: 156 / 156 : Schaum's grammar, Fluent Forever
: 642 / 1000 : Learn / make flashcards for 1000 most frequent Spanish words

Sam's Spanish Log
Sam's Year of Reading Only Spanish
Dipping my toe into Latin

Beosweyne
Yellow Belt
Languages: En (L1), Fr (A2), Af (A1), Ar (beg.), Zu (beg.)
Ancient:
La (A2), Gr (A2), Eg (beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16342

Re: Feature request: favourite posts

Postby Beosweyne » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:15 am

In the user profile page there is a link to a list of all posts you've "liked", in chronological order. There doesn't seem to be a way of filtering that list, or of searching by keywords.
1 x
Learn More Zulu: 28 / 468 (p. 28/468)

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:10 pm

In the first message in my own log I have referred to my language learning guide and to a thread I wrote about Google translate and a reference to the incipit of month-long overview over the European music history in the relevant languages. But I can't see how we should be able to agree on a shared list of 'greatest messages' in the whole forum. Besides I am currently rereading my own log and sometimes I see something that is slightly better than the rest ... but apparently it was still not good enough to make even myself remember it. So if we had to make a common list it would only contain the tip of the iceberg, and some of the really good stuff would remain buried. Like the thread about linguistic nerds and the other one about answers to thread titles - two of my own favorite threads. If nobody continually adds to such threads then they will become buried and forgotten within just a few months.

Or maybe the OP just wanted a personal bookmarking device? Well, until we get such a thing integrated in the forum software you could in principle make a subsection under 'favorites' in your browser.

Sorry to be so pessimistic...
1 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:09 am

Yes, I was looking for way to bookmark (within the forum, not in my already overcrowded browser bookmarks) my favorite posts too just the other day. I will "like" posts for all kinds of reasons, but I would also appreciate being able to keep hold of particularly useful ones for future reference somehow. I was surprised that this didn't seem to be something I could do here.
1 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

samfrances
Orange Belt

Postby samfrances » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:54 am

Iversen wrote:Or maybe the OP just wanted a personal bookmarking device?

To clarify, yes, that's what I was asking for.
0 x

Sam's Spanish Log

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:39 am

That is a feature which you'd need to request on the PhpBB development website. We don't write the software here we just use the software "out of the box" with some plugin added. Although if you can find a plugin I could get it loaded.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

samfrances
Orange Belt

Postby samfrances » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:10 pm

rdearman wrote:That is a feature which you'd need to request on the PhpBB development website. We don't write the software here we just use the software "out of the box" with some plugin added. Although if you can find a plugin I could get it loaded.

Fair enough.
0 x

Sam's Spanish Log

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:19 pm

tangleweeds wrote:(...) my already overcrowded browser bookmarks (...)

I also have a lot of bookmarks, but I have made separate subordinate favorite lists for Romance languages in general, Romance language media, Germanic languages in general, Germanic languages media etc. etc - all in all at least a dozen sublists for just the language-related links, and I have others for travel, weather, computering etc. etc. Without that structure I would have given up keeping any semblance of order long ago.

So far only a few of the links point to the forum, but that's mainly because I don't expect to find anything specific ever again so I just try my luck with the search machines. Or read new and/or random stuff...
0 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:44 pm

rdearman wrote:That is a feature which you'd need to request on the PhpBB development website. We don't write the software here we just use the software "out of the box" with some plugin added. Although if you can find a plugin I could get it loaded.
Just checked. I would have thought there should be a plugin for that available out there for this by now, but no. While there have been a number of requests for it, folks more in-the-know say it would need to be an extension rather than a plugin, and no-one seems to have gone ahead to create/upload such an extension.

I was reminded that we can, however, bookmark an entire thread via the wrench icon at the bottom of the page, which could be handy in certian cases, but it's simply not useful for relocating a single post within a 50-page language log.

Iversen wrote:
tangleweeds wrote:(...) my already overcrowded browser bookmarks (...)

I also have a lot of bookmarks, but I have made separate subordinate favorite lists for Romance languages in general, Romance language media, Germanic languages in general, Germanic languages media etc. etc - all in all at least a dozen sublists for just the language-related links

Yeah, I've got folders and subfolders for languages in general and particular languages within that, there's still probably more than 100 links for each language, at which point it becomes easier to just Google--but oops, that becomes a dangerous distraction-sink as I find new things to explore and bookmark, by which point, what was I looking for to begin with??? And when I get into sub-sub-folders I run into the problem of the bookmarks menu collapsing before I can navigate to the sub(-sub-sub-sub-sub) folder that I need, sigh.
1 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”