Feature tweakette: virtual keyboard - y-circumflex?

Discuss technical problems and features here
Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Feature tweakette: virtual keyboard - y-circumflex?

Postby Montmorency » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:13 pm

I'm really impressed with the virtual keyboard. IPA - wow.

However, I wonder if it might be possible to add ŷ and Ŷ?

These are used in Welsh (where "y" is a vowel). (Actually I'm not sure if Ŷ is used much, but it would be safer to include it).

I don't generally need the virtual keyboard for Welsh, as I have a utility called "To Bach" (literally "little roof") installed which does the job, but it might be useful for others who don't have it or can't install it on whatever they are using. (And knowing the vagaries of software, things can stop working...).

(And if my secret plan for Welsh domination comes to fruition there will be a lot more Welsh speakers on this forum one day... 8-) )
1 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: Feature tweakette: virtual keyboard - y-circumflex?

Postby emk » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:56 pm

Montmorency wrote:I'm really impressed with the virtual keyboard. IPA - wow.

Give your thanks to the great programmers of the Unilang forum, who built the IPA keyboard and open sourced it for the entire world to share. They rule.

Montmorency wrote:However, I wonder if it might be possible to add ŷ and Ŷ?

Yes! The way this process works goes something like this:

1. Somebody dreams up a good feature and proposes it here on the forum.
  2. One of our several excellent developers forks the open source version of our forum's code on GitHub, and makes the necessary changes. In this case, somebody will need to edit the unilang_virtualkeyboard_charsets.html file and add the missing characters in the appropriate location, with descriptive names. In fact, this change could be made directly from the GitHub web interface using the "Edit" function.
  3. The change is submitted as a "Pull Request" for me to review, and to merge into the main forum code if it looks good. Two warnings: (1) You may have to nag me, because I'm shamefully far behind at the moment, and (2) it's far easier for me to accept 100% correct changes than changes that are almost there. So before submitting a change, let you inner pendant loose and triple check everything. Also, when submitting a Pull Request, please use a meaningful title and describe who the change will help and why. This will make it much easier to upgrade the forum in the future without having to puzzle out why we made lots of little changes 5 years ago!
Thank you for proposing a new feature!
1 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”