New look and feel (and how to get the old blue and silver look back)

Discuss technical problems and features here
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: New look and feel (and how to get the old blue and silver look back)

Postby Serpent » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:12 pm

emk wrote:It feels like an old friend got replaced by a lizard person.

A jab at me and iguanamon? ;) :lol:

I love we_universal. For those who don't, maybe there's a way to add the theme to url, when logged out?
4 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Wanderer81

Postby Wanderer81 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:12 am

I was able to switch back to Pro-Silver with no problem. Thanks for leaving the option. Everyone has their own preferences, but for me Pro-Silver is easier to read than we_Universial. Basic User options without having to log-in would be the best.
1 x

Evita
Orange Belt
Languages: I speak: Latvian, English, Russian, German
I study: Korean
I'm slowly forgetting: Spanish, Finnish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1141

Postby Evita » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:06 am

I didn't follow the discussion about themes so I got a shock when I opened the forum just now, but it was in a super positive way. I love the new look! I like the colors, the fonts, the banner, the links at the top, it feels well thought out and polished. Thank you to everyone who made it happen!
3 x
: 6480 / 8000 Korean Vocabulary

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

Voxel
Yellow Belt
Languages: French (N), English (I), Russian (?), Japanese (?)

Postby Voxel » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:33 am

emk wrote:The banner needs to be a JPEG, 1170x240 pixels in size, under an open source or creative commons license.

OK but why did you set the forum width for prosilver theme if there is not banner for this theme?
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:06 pm

emk wrote:
Bakunin wrote:I tend to browse the forum without logging in for a quick update on what's going on, but now with we_universal that's not very appealing anymore.

If you're using a personal machine, you can usually stay logged in by checking the "Remain logged in" box on the log in screen. This will allow you to keep your customizations in force at almost all times. If you can try this, does it help any?

It's not a big deal for me, but I find that in spite of checking this box, I still get logged out from time to time (on a machine that hasn't been rebooted or used by anyone else).

Elenia wrote:
Bakunin wrote:Are hieroglyphs really a good symbol for this language learning community?

Well, I don't know about the community, but they're a great symbol for emk!

Well, the original we_universal theme actually used a dramatic stock photo of an office building, which was really weird looking on a language forum!

The hieroglyphs are really just a placeholder. I needed something that was roughly the same dark color as the original office building photo, and which we could legally use and redistribute. Oh, and it needed to have something to do with language learning. :-)

I've always wanted to have a more interesting banner, one which features more languages (especially ones with interesting scripts). We could, for example, ask native speakers to translate "Welcome!" into as many languages as possible, if that's not too corny. I like the idea of using text in interesting scripts, but I'm open to other suggestions.

The banner needs to be a JPEG, 1170x240 pixels in size, under an open source or creative commons license. It needs to be dark enough that the white text shows up legibly.

I think the hieroglyphs are a good choice. They have a sort of timeless feel, and are somewhat reminiscent of the old HTLAL logo (in my mind, anyway). If you had something with a lot of modern languages on, it might imply an unintended bias towards those languages (since you can't include everything). Having said that, I quite like the idea of exotic scripts. "Welcome" isn't such a bad idea. Also maybe pick out and distinguish the major language groups.
1 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:52 pm

emk wrote:It feels like an old friend got replaced by a lizard person.

It's always the same thing from you mammals. We were here on this Earth long before you came on the scene, just remember that. On behalf of the RADL the "Reptilian Anti Defamation League", Lizard Division, I resemble that remark. Thanks, Serpent, for defending reptilian rights. We may be cold-blooded but reptiles are people too! :lol:

Seriously, thanks for all your hard work, emk. :)
5 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:17 pm

Voxel wrote:
emk wrote:The banner needs to be a JPEG, 1170x240 pixels in size, under an open source or creative commons license.

OK but why did you set the forum width for prosilver theme if there is not banner for this theme?

we_universal requires the same dimensions :) Probably most other themes too.

Evita, glad you liked it!!! It's been available for a while. That's exactly why it was made default - many users never get around to trying out more themes :)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Evita
Orange Belt
Languages: I speak: Latvian, English, Russian, German
I study: Korean
I'm slowly forgetting: Spanish, Finnish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1141

Postby Evita » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Serpent wrote:Evita, glad you liked it!!! It's been available for a while. That's exactly why it was made default - many users never get around to trying out more themes :)

Yeah, I would have switched sooner if I had known about it, but that's okay. The best thing about making it default is that more new users will join, I think. I was really reluctant to join this forum because there are tons of other phpBB boards on the internet and many use that default blue style, it seemed outdated and too common to me. Now everyone will realize that this is not just a quick backup site, that it has serious intentions.

One thing that seems strange though is that there are two links to the active topics at the top. Wouldn't one be enough?
3 x
: 6480 / 8000 Korean Vocabulary

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:25 pm

Evita wrote:One thing that seems strange though is that there are two links to the active topics at the top. Wouldn't one be enough?

Ah, yeah, that's a fun little issue.

t123 wrote us an awesome "topics" plugin that added an "Active Subjects" link to phpBB. But we_universal has this link built in!

I want to edit t123's plugin to have links to the wiki and (soon) the blog, and I want to remove the duplicate links under we_universal. But I don't want to take away the "Active Subjects" link from people using prosilver, and so I'm going to have to write even more code to deal with that, and I don't know how yet. So it's going to take a while to sort some of this stuff out. :-)
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:23 pm

The colour of the "universal" theme is almost like the one of a Komodo Dragon - but not all reptiles look like that. Most other reptiles of the planet have lots of different colours. There is even one purely blue anole, but it only lives on a small island named Gorgona and is threatened with extinction - as if the sombre dark grey of the universal wasn't enough to make one depressed... When I see the forum now I logon as fast as possible to get back to the airy blue colour scheme which is my absolute favorite among the possibilities. I hope it won't go the same way as the Gorgona anole.

Anole.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”