Miscellaneous sub-forum?

Discuss technical problems and features here
NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Miscellaneous sub-forum?

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:43 am

Have the admins/moderators thought about opening/making a non language related miscellaneous sub-forum?
I think a lot of forum members would like to have a place to talk about non language related topics, myself included.

But of course, no politics and religion talk.
8 x
How yes no.

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Re: Miscellaneous sub-forum?

Postby Bluepaint » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:37 pm

Have moved your topic as I think it is better suited here.

Also I can't speak officially but I think the general feeling from the mod team (or at least the impression I got) was that they thought people could either discuss off-topic subjects either via PM, in the multi-lingual boards in their target langauge or people could find an alternate forum for their off-topic discussions. I realise PMs mean you'd only be able to chat with your "mates", multilingual boards would mean you'd need a certain level of a language which your topical conversatiom partners would also need to speak and an alternate forum means you might not get to speak to those you've bonded with here/those you already respect and know. So I guess I'm saying we don't have a perfect solution save creating an OT board thus making more work and possibly diluting the language side of things.

Again all my thoughts, none of it official. I've pointed the mods in the direction of this thread anyway. By posting all this I may have opened a can of worms but it's a reasonable request so it deserves discussion...
1 x

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Postby daegga » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:43 pm

Opening up the multilingual forum for English off-topic entries maybe? After all, English is supposed to be a language too (and some might even want to practice it outside the scope of language discussion).
3 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:51 pm

Yeah, I agree that it would be nice to have an off-topic part of the forum, although I also understand the other points of view presented by Rhian.

The thing is, we have language-specific areas (I know there's only the Spanish one now but I'm sure there will be more) where we can discuss anything and everything, but what if, say, Joe Bloggs wanted to discuss bird watching with others here who enjoy bird watching, but the only place he could talk about non-language things was in these language-specific sub forums, and he didn't have any common languages with any of the other bird watchers around? Poor Joe... :cry:

Edit: I am taking for granted that Joe and other bird watchers would be able to speak/write English, which they would use in an off-topic, bird watching thread. :?
2 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:00 pm

I agree, it'd be such a shame for imaginary Joe and that was one of the concerns I had about OT threads being confined to the multilingual area.
1 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:33 am

I would really like to see a miscellaneous forum too.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:08 am

Just playing Devils advocate, but why doesn't joe the bird watcher go to a bird watching forum, most of which are in English?

Also nothing preventing joe from using his log as the unofficial bird watching area.

Given that English as an inordinate amount of usage on the internet in comparison to other languages the miscellaneous topics tend to be better covered there.
6 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

sctroyenne
Orange Belt
Location: Montreal, QC (moved from the SF Bay Area living my dream!)
Languages: French (C2), Irish (beg-intermediate), Spanish (intermediate but mostly passive)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=767

Postby sctroyenne » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:16 pm

PsittacusMagnus wrote:I was going to say the same thing, rdearman. But we could ask 'Where is the bird watching forum for beginner/intermediate learners of English?'

Perhaps we could organise a off-topic area for non-natives who want to practice their English before being thrown into the deep end of native-English speaking forums whose main concern isn't linguistic. Instead of just a free-for-all, we allow non-natives to start threads on topics which interest them and natives/other non-natives can help out - giving linguistic advice on their topics (even doing comparison between languages to help out > might lead to some interesting content like technical vocab lists between English and various languages. Another optional step is to allow posting 'posts of interest' for discussions on the more heated topics are desired, which can be moved into PMs.

EDIT: On logs, they are sacred space. Although conversations like this might be of high interest to someone, they might get a whole heap of posts in their log.

With the off-topic linguistic angle it almost sounds like working on "islands" à la Boris Shekhtman (How to Improve Your Foreign Language Immediately). Though that can be covered off-site through Lang-8 or another foreign language writing practice platform...

The discussions about enhancing multilingual posting capabilities (having a translated version of a post, having multiple language versions of a single post, etc) was partly to facilitate this kind of thing - letting people practice writing in their TLs, expanding the Multilingual lounge, and opening up the forum to users with weaker English skills while still letting everyone communicate with each other.
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:36 pm

If there were a miscellaneous sub-forum, it could not go unmoderated. Certainly the admin would not accept an unmoderated subforum for reasons clear to all. So who would moderate it? None of the proposals for an off-topic forum has addressed this issue, SFIK. Would the current moderators want to do it? Even if they wanted to, would they have the time? Both the admin and emk have suggested folks find another forum to discuss their non-language questions and issues. To date no one has made a counterargument that is even remotely persuasive.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:44 pm

daegga wrote:Opening up the multilingual forum for English off-topic entries maybe? After all, English is supposed to be a language too (and some might even want to practice it outside the scope of language discussion).

I like this suggestion.

I honestly don't see what the problem is. If we can have a Spanish sub-forum, why can't we have an English one? There is a large amount of non-native English speakers on this forum, and I'm sure most of them would like to talk about/discuss something other than "Should I read or should I listen more?".

It would be even easier to moderate than the Spanish one, since (I'm guessing) most of the admins/moderators are native English speakers. I'm pretty sure that off-topic threads wouldn't get derailed as much as the language related threads.
2 x
How yes no.

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”