Evita
Orange Belt
Languages: I speak: Latvian, English, Russian, German
I study: Korean
I'm slowly forgetting: Spanish, Finnish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1141

Notifications about Likes

Postby Evita » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:57 am

I've got a question. I've made two posts in my language log, and one of them has 4 likes and the other one has 3 likes (as of now), but I only received notifications about 5 of them. Where did the other 2 go? Is there a "I don't want people notified when I like something" setting somewhere?
1 x
: 6480 / 8000 Korean Vocabulary

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Re: Notifications about Likes

Postby garyb » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:44 am

I have similar issues. Some likes are reported as notifications but most aren't, and I've not seen any pattern to which ones are and which aren't. I'm not too bothered about knowing that people like my posts, but it would be nice if it were more consistent and either notified about all of them or none of them.
Last edited by garyb on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:45 am

I don't know what happened to the other likes, but anyway, it's possible to edit your settings here:
User control panel/Board preferences/Edit notification options
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:41 am

I've noticed that if I get multiple likes on one post, it will only notify me about the first of them, at least until I've cleared the notification. I think that this is so if a post get 50 likes, I won't get tons of notification spam.

But other than that, yes, the "like" notifications are sometimes failing for no obvious reason. At some point, one of the programmers around here (maybe me) will try to understand what's going on and fix it. But it's going to take some time.

Please remember that even though we have the source code to phpBB, there are a couple thousand files of code, translations and images, and we didn't write any of it. While we would definitely like to fix any bad bugs (by writing extensions or submitting patches upstream to the phpBB project whenever possible), it's going to take a while.
2 x

Evita
Orange Belt
Languages: I speak: Latvian, English, Russian, German
I study: Korean
I'm slowly forgetting: Spanish, Finnish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1141

Postby Evita » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:00 am

emk wrote:I've noticed that if I get multiple likes on one post, it will only notify me about the first of them, at least until I've cleared the notification. I think that this is so if a post get 50 likes, I won't get tons of notification spam.

This is... interesting. I think that most posters who want to receive notifications about Likes would like to receive them about all Likes, not just a subset of them.

But other than that, yes, the "like" notifications are sometimes failing for no obvious reason. At some point, one of the programmers around here (maybe me) will try to understand what's going on and fix it. But it's going to take some time.

Please remember that even though we have the source code to phpBB, there are a couple thousand files of code, translations and images, and we didn't write any of it. While we would definitely like to fix any bad bugs (by writing extensions or submitting patches upstream to the phpBB project whenever possible), it's going to take a while.

I understand it's going to take a while, and I'm grateful that there are people willing to do this at all :) I'm just documenting these bugs so that they aren't forgotten. I work as a software tester so I'm good at finding bugs ;)
3 x
: 6480 / 8000 Korean Vocabulary

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:55 am

Yeah, it would be nicer if it were like Facebook where multiple likes result in a single notification, like "Person X, Person Y and 3 others liked your post". I'm not sure this is the only issue though, I've also had no notifications at all for posts that had multiple likes.

If I remember correctly, the Like system is an extension, not a core part of phpBB? This might mean the extension is buggy, or it might just be limitations of phpBB's notification system that it uses.

I agree with Evita, it's a very minor issue, I'm not in any rush to have it fixed or bothered enough about it to look into fixing it myself. It's just good to have it reported.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:24 pm

That is a good point about it being an extension. Perhaps we can report it to the original author and see if they can update it.
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:22 pm

rdearman wrote:That is a good point about it being an extension. Perhaps we can report it to the original author and see if they can update it.

The original author was open to people submitting patches, too, FWIW.
0 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

AlexTG
Green Belt
Languages: Easy to Read: English(N), French, Spanish
Able to Read: German, Latin
Learning to Read: Japanese, Hindi/Urdu

Postby AlexTG » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:10 am

It's been fixed in the development version of the extension yay! Go through your history of like notifications and you might be able to spot the problem if you're good at solving puzzles.... [spoiler]you only ever receive one notification from a particular user. Once someone's liked a post of yours you never receive another notification from them :P. Hence you will have been getting less and less notifications as time has gone on. [/spoiler]

The development version also allows you to see a list of posts a user has liked, which I think will be great. Now we just need to wait for the changes to be passed on to the production version, the developer probably wants to do some testing first.

I think it'll still only give one notification if you receive a bunch of likes for the same post in a short span of time though.
3 x

nexus
White Belt

Postby nexus » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:53 am

Last edited by nexus on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”