Notifications about Likes

Discuss technical problems and features here
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Notifications about Likes

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:18 pm

Serpent wrote:Generally the names are shown when you hover over the number, not the heart :)

Oops. I remembered wrongly because I'm on my iPad, so I can't check.
0 x

Allison
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native), Spanish (high intermediate-ish), American Sign Language (ASL) (I dabble occasionally)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5177

Postby Allison » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:00 pm

Serpent wrote:Generally the names are shown when you hover over the number, not the heart :)

That works, thanks! I had been trying to hover over the heart with no success.
1 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:19 pm

I can confirm that some "likes" are still not showing up.

Eyeballing the code, it looks like this is where notifications get generated. They then pass through here, and then wind their way down into the main phpBB code. There's a chunk of code here which attempts to avoid sending duplicate notifications. Duplicates are detected using an "$item_id".

And when we look up item_id calculation, we find this very suspicious bit of code which sets the item ID to the "requester_id".

The fix here is probably to include both the requester ID (the person who clicked on the heart, I think) and the post ID when calculating the "$item_id", so that you could receive one notification per user per post. If I understand the current code correctly (which is far from certain), it looks as if you can maybe receive only one "like" per user. I'd imagine that if you can somehow clear your notifications, this would reset.

If any programmers reading this feel like they understand the issue well enough to submit a pull request to the postlove maintainer, I'd be happy to update the forum's copy of postlove. I might be able to tackle this myself at some point, but it's a bit hairy and I'd want to make sure I understood everything that used "$item_id".

As for disappearing "likes" in your notification history, check your profile page. There should be a link which shows all the "likes" you've given and received. Look at the lower right. This should also include "likes" for which you never received a notification, so it might be a short-term workaround for the other problem as well.
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:28 am

I think it resets for me when I mark all as read, and/or it gets reset per user when I mark "their" notification as read :? I often use the notification links to go to threads, which also marks the notifications as read.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:56 am

Going to my notifications page and clicking to mark them all read seems to have fixed things/ Now I can even see who liked posts. Thanks!
0 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Evita
Orange Belt
Languages: I speak: Latvian, English, Russian, German
I study: Korean
I'm slowly forgetting: Spanish, Finnish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1141

Postby Evita » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:55 am

emk wrote:As for disappearing "likes" in your notification history, check your profile page. There should be a link which shows all the "likes" you've given and received. Look at the lower right. This should also include "likes" for which you never received a notification, so it might be a short-term workaround for the other problem as well.

Sorry, I just don't see it. Am I blind? I received some notifications yesterday so I have 13 now, but the oldest one is still from December 10.
llattach.png

Edit: Never mind, I found the link you were talking about. But I'm talking about Notifications being deleted even though at the top it says "Here you may view all past notifications."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
: 6480 / 8000 Korean Vocabulary

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”