Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: I almost lost my post because of automatic log-out

Postby lingua » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:45 pm

I'm on an iMac using Firefox and I stay logged in for days. I didn't originally (a long time ago) realize the extra logon was an anti-spam thing so now I've learned to just x, x on the first attempt and then answer the question. I also always do the two checkboxes (keep me logged on and don't show my online status). The latter kind of bugs me ... I wish that was an actual setting so one didn't always have to click it.
2 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Diomedes
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N); English (advanced, esp. reading); French, Spanish (intermediate); German, Italian (beginner)

Postby Diomedes » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:46 pm

StringerBell wrote:I am getting logged out constantly. I'm using Safari on a laptop. I also tried Firefox and the same thing happens.

Here's what happens to me:
1) Login with UserID and password, but then am directed to re-enter UserID and password again, plus answer an anti-spam question.
2) write a post/comment, click submit.
3) I am immediately directly to relogin before anything posts and whatever I wrote is lost (I have to copy whatever I wrote because I almost always have to re-create it). I enter UserID and password and then I'm directed to re-enter UserID and password, plus answer anti-spam question again.

I don't go to other sites while logged in.

I seem to get kicked out while I'm in the process of writing something, it's never because of inactively. Occasionally I don't get kicked out but that's somewhat rare. Often I'll login, like someone's post, and then get logged out so it doesn't always seem to be tied to writing something.

However, I don't generally choose the "keep me logged in" option, so I'm going to try that to see if it makes any difference.

EDIT: the "keep me logged in" option worked for about 2-3 minutes, then I got kicked out and had to log back in again. There was no inactivity, I was clicking on new threads every 20-30 seconds.

Same here. It works exactly this way since my first post, so I just somehow got used to it and to "ctrl + C" what I wrote before submit any post, because I know I will surely have to paste it again after the new login. I know this is an anti-spam thing. It can be a bit annoying sometimes, but other than that, no complaints ;)
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:45 pm

One important trick is to mark "remember me" when you log in. We have discussed whether it's possible to mark it as default, but so far you have to do it yourself. If you do have to log in then the thing you wrote may turn up again after a couple of hops backwards (ALT + arrow left) - but it doesn't harm also to tap CTRL + C.
1 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”