Evita
Orange Belt
Languages: I speak: Latvian, English, Russian, German
I study: Korean
I'm slowly forgetting: Spanish, Finnish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1141

I almost lost my post because of automatic log-out

Postby Evita » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:47 pm

I just wrote a long post in my log. It took me a long time, maybe an hour, and when I finished I pressed "Preview" but I was taken to the log-in screen because I had been automatically logged out. When I logged back in, everything I had written was gone. The only thing that saved me was my habit of pressing Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C.

I know it's because I hadn't checked the "Remember Me" box during login, but I still think this is a bug. I would have been very unhappy if the post I was writing for an hour had been gone. Please fix it.
2 x
: 6480 / 8000 Korean Vocabulary

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: I almost lost my post because of automatic log-out

Postby Serpent » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:06 pm

Instead of Ctrl+C you can install Lazarus add-on that saves everything you type ;)
4 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 pm

Evita wrote:I just wrote a long post in my log. It took me a long time, maybe an hour, and when I finished I pressed "Preview" but I was taken to the log-in screen because I had been automatically logged out. When I logged back in, everything I had written was gone. The only thing that saved me was my habit of pressing Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C.

I know it's because I hadn't checked the "Remember Me" box during login, but I still think this is a bug. I would have been very unhappy if the post I was writing for an hour had been gone. Please fix it.

At what time did this occur? I tried to give at least an hour and half of warnings that you'd lose posts if you didn't complete your posts before 18:00 UK time. I'm sorry this has happened to you.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Evita
Orange Belt
Languages: I speak: Latvian, English, Russian, German
I study: Korean
I'm slowly forgetting: Spanish, Finnish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1141

Postby Evita » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:47 pm

No need to be sorry, I didn't lose my post in the end because I had saved it. I just want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

It happened a little over an hour ago. I am using Firefox (if that helps).
0 x
: 6480 / 8000 Korean Vocabulary

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) German (B2) Finnish (beginner) Swedish (beginner) Polish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... f=15&t=742

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:26 pm

This has happened a few times to me, but even if you have not copied everything, if you click back twice you should find your post will still be there in full. But, of course, it's always best to be safe, so I always copy my posts before posting now that I know this can happen.

I never thought anything of it as I'm pretty sure it used to happen to me on the old site as well.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:43 pm

I have seen the same thing, but was able to get back to the edit window with ALT LeftArrow after logging in. The thing i don't understand why hammering away at a message isn't recognized as activity.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:09 pm

During the Stone Age, the dial-up modem could disconnect because of inactivity (15 minutes?) - it happened to me several times even though I was typing in the Hotmail window - but of course, the site didn't "know" that words were added to/deleted from that field (and there definitely wasn't any "auto-save every X minutes" back then). Nowadays, a lot of web apps are more intelligent than back then - Google docs is one.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Hrhenry
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish (C2), Italian (C2), Catalan, Galician, Portuguese, Norwegian

Studies: Turkish (B2), Polish, Ojibwe, Indonesian

Postby Hrhenry » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:20 pm

You will still have to make an effort to copy text, but if you're on android, there's an app called Native Clipboard that works really well for recalling copied text.

R.
==
1 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:03 am

I almost lost a long log post yesterday (in the morning, long before the switch-over) because of auto log-out. Lazarus saved me.

I think it's because I forgot to click the "Remember me" option when logging in, so my session expired after a given amount of time. I would have expected that if the "Remember" option isn't clicked it should use a session cookie so that I'd be remembered until I close the browser, rather than a being silently logged out after a hard time limit.

I think this should be fixed if possible, although it's probably a phpBB issue rather than something an extension can change which could make it trickier. We shouldn't have to resort to using browser extensions in order to work around forum bugs - we're not on old HTLAL any more ;).
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:33 am

Evita wrote:I just wrote a long post in my log. It took me a long time, maybe an hour, and when I finished I pressed "Preview" but I was taken to the log-in screen because I had been automatically logged out. When I logged back in, everything I had written was gone. The only thing that saved me was my habit of pressing Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C.

I'm so sorry the software almost ate your post. That's not acceptable.

Unfortunately, this bug is pretty deep in the design of phpBB, and it's going to take fairly non-trivial custom extension to fix. (Possibly something using HTML local storage?)

I have three possible recommendations: First, try using the Save Draft button below each editing window periodically when working on a longer post. Second, try writing long posts using Notepad or another simple text editor on your local machine. Third, try the extension Serpent suggested:

Serpent wrote:Instead of Ctrl+C you can install Lazarus add-on that saves everything you type ;)

Lazarus is great, and it has saved my drafts many times. Chrome users can find a version here. And there appears to be a Mozilla version here. Users of other browsers may want to check your extension site.
3 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”