Notifications When Logging On

Discuss technical problems and features here
Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:02 pm

Since about a few days ago, my “Notifications” list has been increasingly populated with “Replys” to discussion threads to which I have never posted a comment. While this does not have any effect on the functionality of the forum, nor on the pleasure of accessing it, it is a little disconcerting. Gremlins, perhaps (while the kids are cute, the adults are dangerous)?
Notifications.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Notifications When Logging On

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:17 pm

I get notifications when there's a reply in a topic which I've subscribed to. Sometimes it's a dormant topic I found years ago, and all of a sudden it's awake again.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:32 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:I get notifications when there's a reply in a topic which I've subscribed to...
Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Nevertheless, I suspect that something else is at play here. First, this started just a few days ago and it seems to be related to any topic that I merely clicked on and read. Second, I do not even know how to subscribe to a topic; could I be doing this unknowingly? :geek:
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:53 pm

Speakeasy wrote:Second, I do not even know how to subscribe to a topic; could I be doing this unknowingly? :geek:

Hmm, I don't think so. It's an active choice. :? You subscribe by clicking the Tool icon just below the topic title at the top of the page, and then confirming Subscribe topic.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:24 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote: Hmm, I don't think so. It's an active choice ...
Thank you very much, I had no idea how to subscribe to a post. So then, there must be something else at play ... or someone else ...
Zygon.JPG

While I do not suspect foul play, there is clearly something wrong here. Perhaps you could call upon a Navy Seal Team or, better still, a brigade of Mind Warriors, to intervene?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:38 am

As another example, my "Notifcations" log has just informed of the "replies" below.
Notifications 2.JPG

However, in neither case are the cited "replies" in response to anything that I wrote. That is, I have not made any posts to the cited threads; therefore, the members' posts cannot be replying to me.

The Zygons are coming! Either they are or the Triffids are after me. Help!
Triffids.JPG
1 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:48 am

Go to the Practical Questions and Advice subforum. Scroll to the bottom. Click Unsubscribe Forum. I think you accidentally clicked Subscribe Forum previously.

Click “Settings” at the top-right of those gremlin notifications, and untick unwanted notifications as appropriate.
3 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:04 am

smallwhite wrote:Go to the Practical Questions and Advice subforum. Scroll to the bottom. Click Unsubscribe Forum. I think you accidentally clicked Subscribe Forum previously. Click “Settings” at the top-right of those gremlin notifications, and untick unwanted notifications as appropriate.
smallwhite, thank you very much! Yes, it appears that someone gained access to my Username and deliberately subscribed to the Practical Questions and Advice sub-forum on my behalf. This must be a modern day version of "knock, knock, ginger." Those darned kids and their pranks!
4 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:40 am

Speakeasy wrote:
smallwhite wrote:Go to the Practical Questions and Advice subforum. Scroll to the bottom. Click Unsubscribe Forum. I think you accidentally clicked Subscribe Forum previously. Click “Settings” at the top-right of those gremlin notifications, and untick unwanted notifications as appropriate.
smallwhite, thank you very much! Yes, it appears that someone gained access to my Username and deliberately subscribed to the Practical Questions and Advice sub-forum on my behalf. This must be a modern day version of "knock, knock, ginger." Those darned kids and their pranks!
Well, it is getting close to Halloween. But maybe Canadians don't subscribe to Halloween?
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:18 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote: ... But maybe Canadians don't subscribe to Halloween?
Subscribe to it? We invented it! We conjured up this festival around the time we invented Time Zones ... "Scottish-born Canadian Sir Sandford Fleming proposed a worldwide system of time zones in 1879. He advocated his system at several international conferences, and is credited with 'the initial effort that led to the adoption of the present time meridians'". Source: Wikipedia

There are many myths, legends, and folk histories surrounding the origins of Halloween, but you can trust me on this one, we invented it. We also invented Santa Clause and the North Pole. 8-)
3 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”