Language Profile - Dev Talk

Discuss technical problems and features here
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: Language Profile - Dev Talk

Postby smallwhite » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:34 am

Can start a separate thread and transfer the Wishlist part there. Anything as long as Wishlist stays separate from Learning.
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Language Profile - Dev Talk

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:42 am

Expugnator wrote:
Cavesa wrote:
Komma wrote:
smallwhite wrote:Would you consider removing the "Wishlist" part?

With "Wishlist" languages included, which outnumbers "Learning" languages in most cases, the forum search function is rendered useless. You have to read each post yourself to find out who's learning the language you're searching for. There're 53 messages in that thread so far and it's already pretty tedious. Can't imagine what it'd be like when we reach 530 messages and you try to search for "German".

You have a point there. I didn't think about it when I made the post. I guess it's not easy to get everyone who posted there to remove their wishlist, but I could make a post about it.

Truth be told, I don't think wishlists are that valuable source of information. Yes, they have their place in our individual logs, whenever the author feels they should mention the wishlist. But other than that, it is quite safe to assume everyone on this forum has got all the languages of the world on their wishlist at some point, even though most are just a phase :-D

They do for some minor languages. I'd be as happy to meet another learner of Georgian, Estonian or Papiamento as to meet a native speaker of one of those languages.

For this reason, I've only listed the rare languages I want to know about from others.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”