Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

missing notifications

Postby badger » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:09 pm

notifications don't seem to be working properly for me:

1. I don't get *any* email notifications at all

2. the "bell at the top of the screen" notifications are intermittent at best - some I get, some that I know I should be getting (eg likes on my posts) I either get or don't get, but I can't see any pattern as to why I receive some & not others.

it's not super-critical, but I thought I'd raise it as I'm curious as to why it is seemingly random, & to flag it up to the admins in case it's a wider issue.

many thanks
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: missing notifications

Postby rdearman » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:47 pm

Email notifications are broken. We don't have the ability to send email through a secure email service with the version of PHP BB were using
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

badger
Green Belt

Postby badger » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:03 pm

rdearman wrote:Email notifications are broken. We don't have the ability to send email through a secure email service with the version of PHP BB were using

ok, thanks for replying, I can live without those in that case, but it would be useful if the internal-to-the-forum-software notifications were to work.
0 x
Super Challenge progress French (double):
reading: 5000 / 5000 reading: 5000 / 5000
watching: 150 / 150 watching: 150 / 150

badger
Green Belt

Postby badger » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:39 am

Morgana wrote:
badger wrote:2. the "bell at the top of the screen" notifications are intermittent at best - some I get, some that I know I should be getting (eg likes on my posts) I either get or don't get, but I can't see any pattern as to why I receive some & not others.
FWIW my board notifications have never been consistent either, it's not such a big deal to miss the hearts but I do feel bad if I miss someone's response to something I said.

yeh, I just cited 'likes' as they're easier to correlate (or not) to notifications, & are less of a big deal, although it can be nice to see who's 'liked' something you've written so you can maybe go & read their log.

like you say, missing when someone has taken the time to write something back to you through a not getting a notification is more of a pain.

anyway, it's not the end of the world, I just thought I'd raise it - I did read back a few pages in this sub-forum first to check whether it was a known issue.
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:48 am

It's been discussed before.. I generally have only one pending notification per member. Clearing them every now and then seems to help somewhat.
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

badger
Green Belt

Postby badger » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:14 pm

Serpent wrote:It's been discussed before.. I generally have only one pending notification per member. Clearing them every now and then seems to help somewhat.

ok, thanks Serpent.
0 x

languist
Orange Belt
Learning: Mostly, how to procrastinate + French, Spanish, Darija, Russian, Slovak, Circassian, Greek
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7523

Postby languist » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:11 pm

As everyone has said, it's not the biggest issue in the world, although it would be nice if it worked.

However, I was trying to figure out if there is some kind of obvious cause/way to improve it? I haven't noticed any kind of "one notification per member" pattern (sometimes I'll have 3 from the same person), nor does it seem to work like "only 1 notification per post', "only notifications for up to 3 different posts", "only first 2 likes for a post"... etc, etc. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to which notifications show and which don't - and clearing them hasn't seemed to change anything for me.

Kind of an aside, but I always thought of coding issues (this is a coding issue, right? ^^;) to be less like a rusty piece of machinery that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, and more like an electrical circuit, which is either complete or broken, on or off. Is this unpredictability normal ?
1 x

Jinx
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (adv), varying levels of French, Esperanto, Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, Croatian, Catalan, Mandarin, Japanese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16835

Postby Jinx » Sun May 16, 2021 10:17 am

For what it's worth, I'm reviving this thread to mention that this issue is still occurring. As badger said, it would be nice to be able to see who liked your posts. For instance, when I post some "practice writing" in a target language and get a few "likes" on it, I'd be curious to see if any of those likes came from a native speaker of the language I was practicing – because in that case it might serve as helpful feedback that my writing wasn't as awful as I thought :)

I will try Serpent's suggestion of clearing the notifications more often, for now.
0 x
Feel free to add me on Goodreads.
Pronouns: she/her.
Corrections welcome!

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun May 16, 2021 11:34 am

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious here, but if you're using a mouse, you can place your cursor on the number next to the heart and see what the tooltip says. In Chrome and Firefox I see all the members who liked the post.
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun May 16, 2021 11:38 am

Just curious. Have you reviewed your settings? If you click on the "settings" link on the notifications it will take you to your profile and "board preferences". Or you can just go to "user control panel" and check notifications you want are ticked.

In addition, you should click on the "Edit postings" to make sure that you have ticked the "Notify me upon replies by default".

By default, many of these notifications are turned off.
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”