Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Arabic, Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

missing notifications

Postby badger » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:09 pm

notifications don't seem to be working properly for me:

1. I don't get *any* email notifications at all

2. the "bell at the top of the screen" notifications are intermittent at best - some I get, some that I know I should be getting (eg likes on my posts) I either get or don't get, but I can't see any pattern as to why I receive some & not others.

it's not super-critical, but I thought I'd raise it as I'm curious as to why it is seemingly random, & to flag it up to the admins in case it's a wider issue.

many thanks
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: missing notifications

Postby rdearman » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:47 pm

Email notifications are broken. We don't have the ability to send email through a secure email service with the version of PHP BB were using
2 x

badger
Orange Belt

Postby badger » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:03 pm

rdearman wrote:Email notifications are broken. We don't have the ability to send email through a secure email service with the version of PHP BB were using

ok, thanks for replying, I can live without those in that case, but it would be useful if the internal-to-the-forum-software notifications were to work.
0 x
--- corrections very welcome ---

Morgana
Blue Belt
Languages:

Postby Morgana » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:04 am

Last edited by Morgana on Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

badger
Orange Belt

Postby badger » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:39 am

Morgana wrote:
badger wrote:2. the "bell at the top of the screen" notifications are intermittent at best - some I get, some that I know I should be getting (eg likes on my posts) I either get or don't get, but I can't see any pattern as to why I receive some & not others.
FWIW my board notifications have never been consistent either, it's not such a big deal to miss the hearts but I do feel bad if I miss someone's response to something I said.

yeh, I just cited 'likes' as they're easier to correlate (or not) to notifications, & are less of a big deal, although it can be nice to see who's 'liked' something you've written so you can maybe go & read their log.

like you say, missing when someone has taken the time to write something back to you through a not getting a notification is more of a pain.

anyway, it's not the end of the world, I just thought I'd raise it - I did read back a few pages in this sub-forum first to check whether it was a known issue.
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish+ (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German+, Italian+
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian, Czech; Romanian+, Galician; Danish, Swedish
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Chaucer's English
+ means exploring the dialects/variants

Postby Serpent » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:48 am

It's been discussed before.. I generally have only one pending notification per member. Clearing them every now and then seems to help somewhat.
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

badger
Orange Belt

Postby badger » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:14 pm

Serpent wrote:It's been discussed before.. I generally have only one pending notification per member. Clearing them every now and then seems to help somewhat.

ok, thanks Serpent.
0 x

languist
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Learning: Mostly, how to procrastinate + French, Spanish, Darija, Russian, Slovak, Circassian, Greek
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7523

Postby languist » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:11 pm

As everyone has said, it's not the biggest issue in the world, although it would be nice if it worked.

However, I was trying to figure out if there is some kind of obvious cause/way to improve it? I haven't noticed any kind of "one notification per member" pattern (sometimes I'll have 3 from the same person), nor does it seem to work like "only 1 notification per post', "only notifications for up to 3 different posts", "only first 2 likes for a post"... etc, etc. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to which notifications show and which don't - and clearing them hasn't seemed to change anything for me.

Kind of an aside, but I always thought of coding issues (this is a coding issue, right? ^^;) to be less like a rusty piece of machinery that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, and more like an electrical circuit, which is either complete or broken, on or off. Is this unpredictability normal ?
1 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”