Extension request: multiquote

Discuss technical problems and features here
kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Extension request: multiquote

Postby kanewai » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:07 am

I'd love to have a way to select a portion of a post to quote, or to be able to select multiple posts to quote. Right now I work around it by keeping multiple windows open, and doing a lot of cutting and pasting.

Would an extension similar to this work for the forum? Modern quote - multiquote and quote highlighted text

Or does the forum already support this, and I'm just missing how to do it?
2 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

jonm
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9402

Re: Extension request: multiquote

Postby jonm » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:58 am

Hi kanewai, when you're writing a reply, you can scroll down to see the other posts in the thread, and each has a quote button on the right. If you click that, it'll quote that post wherever you have the cursor in the editor window. You can use that to quote multiple posts.

I don't know of a way to quote only a selected portion of a post, so I just quote the whole thing and delete the parts I don't want. The extension you linked to does seem like it might be a little easier.

(Edit: I didn't notice this was in a special forum or I probably wouldn't have jumped in before the mods, but I guess I'll leave this in case it's helpful.)
4 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:23 am

kanewai wrote:Or does the forum already support this, and I'm just missing how to do it?
No. (edit: apart from the way jonm showed)
I don't know if the extension can be installed but it's indeed very convenient (I've seen it on another forum). BTW I never noticed the multiquote function. With this extension you can just quote separate fragments of text and everything will be added to the reply box at the bottom of the page. (we don't have it enabled)

On a computer you can select the needed text and drag it into the reply form (in a different tab/window). If you select it and click quote, it will be formatted as a quote (without attribution).
jonm wrote: If you click that, it'll quote that post wherever you have the cursor in the editor window.
Wow, that's pretty cool! Thanks for pointing this out :D And this did allow me to quote just a part of your post! (the one that was selected)
jonm wrote:I didn't notice this was in a special forum or I probably wouldn't have jumped in before the mods
No worries. Anyone can reply here, within reason.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

jonm
Orange Belt
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)

Postby jonm » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:37 am

Serpent wrote:Wow, that's pretty cool! Thanks for pointing this out :D And this did allow me to quote just a part of your post! (the one that was selected)

You bet! :D And I didn't know that you could use that button to quote just the selected text. That's much simpler. Very cool indeed!
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:46 am

kanewai wrote:I'd love to have a way to select a portion of a post to quote, or to be able to select multiple posts to quote. Right now I work around it by keeping multiple windows open, and doing a lot of cutting and pasting.

Would an extension similar to this work for the forum? Modern quote - multiquote and quote highlighted text

Or does the forum already support this, and I'm just missing how to do it?

That's a 3.2 extension that needs some modification to the style templates that we have on the site.

So basically it would require that the site be updated to 3.2 first and that someone takes the time to write the style updates and the Admins agree to install these updates. It's not an approved mod, so it would require some code review to assure it isn't doing anything nasty.

It likely is not going to happen.
Personally, I'd like to see a partial quote function and link backs from the quote where when you click on the "xxxx wrote:", it brings you back to the original post.
5 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

jonm
Orange Belt
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)

Postby jonm » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:04 pm

zenmonkey wrote:Personally, I'd like to see ... link backs from the quote where when you click on the "xxxx wrote:", it brings you back to the original post.

That would be a really nice feature to have.
1 x

allf100
Orange Belt
Languages: Hokkien(mother tongue, yet less fluent than my Mandarin)
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)
Persian (A little, completely forgot it.)
Sankrit (Just for alphabet, and forgot them all)

Postby allf100 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:52 am

Hello,

Re: multiquote

I wonder if there's a feature of multiquote on our website now.

From the replies of this thread a few years ago, it seemed multiquote was unavailable. But I saw a forum member used multiquote in his/her thread*. (I attached the url at the end of my post.)

Re: to quote a sentence
When I try to select a sentence in a post, and then click "quote", it always quotes the whole post.
I have to delete other words I don't need.

Is this the way you folk do here?

Re: does '@ + username' work?
If I'd like to reply to a forum member with @username, can the member get the notification?

Would someone please advise? Thank you!

P.S.
I don't mean to request these features I ask above. I wonder whether they work or not.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 6&start=10
0 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:50 pm

You can only make multiquotes by editing your post. Every quote has {quote="xx"} in front of it and {/quote} after it (NB: use [ and ] instead of curly ones - if I had used them here you would just have seen a quote from member xx). If you use the button with the quotation marks you get the whole post of member xx quoted, but you freely can remove unwanted parts and move those you want to retain to your own sets of homemade brackets.

And it's the same with references: you can write your own {url="zz"} in front of it and {/url} after it (and again: use straight brackets and not the curly ones). You get your link adresses from your browser, but the details may differ. If you want to reference a specific post (or any other link) and use a slightly aged Firefox like me then you just rightclick at the title line of the relevant post and choose 'copy link address'.

As for @'s: I don't think they have any special effects - they are just there to embellish usernames

By the way: a curly bracket is called a 'Tuborg' in Danish because a beer company (whose name I shan't mention here) had roofs shaped like that on their delivery wagons.
4 x

allf100
Orange Belt
Languages: Hokkien(mother tongue, yet less fluent than my Mandarin)
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)
Persian (A little, completely forgot it.)
Sankrit (Just for alphabet, and forgot them all)

Postby allf100 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:27 pm

Iversen wrote:You can only make multiquotes by editing your post...

Thank you very much for your advice! Have a great one! :)
0 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:35 pm

allf100 wrote:
Iversen wrote:You can only make multiquotes by editing your post...

Thank you very much for your advice! Have a great one! :)

You can also just reply and in the reply edit window at the bottom you'll see the posts of the previous people in the thread. If you highlight one of their sentences and then press the quote button of that post it will insert the highlighted sentence into your reply.
allf100 wrote:Thank you very much for your advice!

I highlighted your sentence in the "TOPIC REVIEW" section and pressed the quote button.

This is difficult to explain.
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”