Forum server upgraded

Discuss technical problems and features here
emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: Forum server upgraded

Postby emk » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:14 pm

sfuqua wrote:Did I miss a message about how to support the forum financially? :D
I wish I could do more, but all of my computer knowledge is 20 years out of date. :lol:

We definitely want to set something up soon!

I think the best form for this would be something similar to Patreon (or a competing site), where 15-20 people can each give US$5/month. This wouldn't be an obligation at all! We only need a small number of people to chip in and we're golden.

I know that a lot of people prefer the "one big donation" model! But that means we have to set up some way to store and manage larger funds. And in the end, we have to pay a bill every month, so it's convenient to have money coming in every month.

We will need to sort this out in the next couple of months—with the recent server and database upgrades, we've gone from $60 to $75 to over $75 per month. We've tried running on cheaper setups in the past, but we basically need a few processor cores permanently dedicated to us to keep the site online reliably. And we pay AWS to manage our database server, to make backups of the database, and to automatically restore everything with no human intervention if the server eats itself. (I'm perfectly capable of running a database server without their help. But the hard part is keeping your disaster recovery system working for 5-10 years with no catastrophic data loss along the way. AWS actually does that quite well.)

So I think we should target a strictly voluntary donation model with the goal of raising $75-100 every month. I think that's a good way to make the community self-sufficient without creating a big tax headache or leaving piles of money sitting around in an account somewhere.

(If that doesn't work for people, I might also consider a sponsorship from one or two companies selling good language learning resources, stuff that we actually like. And no animated ad garbage. But I'd strongly prefer to keep the funding within the community.)
20 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:37 pm

Well, at long last, we are having this conversation. It is long overdue and people need to realize its importance.
3 x

CDR
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Portuguese (B2?), Japanese (A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18051

Postby CDR » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:59 pm

I would also be happy to donate monthly using Patreon!

In my experience with Patreon though, you can change what you pay monthly to whatever you want. So if people wanted to do bulk donations they could force that on you (pay for 1 month at a high price and cancel, unless the creator controls this)

Alternatively, people could be required to donate $5 every time they debate about Stephen Krashen :).
15 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:24 pm

I've been spending most of my money on booze and women and wasting the rest of it. Be nice to have something else to do with it.
5 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:14 am

I am eager to donate.
The last outage scared me. :(
I think we need to have another gathering place too, for when the unthinkable happens.
Whatever the unthinkable is.

I think the backup accounts we had in other places are all defunct. :shock:

Maybe everybody was getting information somewhere that I never found...
4 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:54 pm

sfuqua wrote:...I think the backup accounts we had in other places are all defunct. :shock:
Maybe everybody was getting information somewhere that I never found...

HTLAL is still up and running... for now. How long that will last is anyone's guess. I updated there with what little information I had. Before Twitter became X, there was an update account there. Probably still is, but Twitter is much less active these days.

I'm not on facebook. Mastodon is so spread out, I don't think it would work. Perhaps the wiki could serve as a place to update. Even a brief message saying "Yes, the forum is down. We're working on the problem. Check back in a few days." would be useful.
8 x

CDR
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Portuguese (B2?), Japanese (A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18051

Postby CDR » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:09 pm

I suspect the Wiki would be the best place for now, but people would need to be made aware.

If Patreon is used for donations, it is possible to make 'public posts' on Patreon that anyone can see. So if Emk decides to go with Patreon, that would probably be the best place.
7 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:57 am

To facilitate rapid communication, we might consider putting a link to our discord server either on the Wiki or over at HTLAL if it isn't prominently displayed already. Several users jumped on there during the outage as well. The link I have provided by crush is LLORG discord. I also checked HTLAL as a primary, but I can't post there directly since my account was never activated (though it lets me log in and like posts).
5 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”