Godryka's Log (Chinese, French)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Godryka
White Belt
Languages: Polish (N), English (~C1/C2), Mandarin (~B1/B2), French (~B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9984

Re: Godryka's Log (Chinese, French)

Postby Godryka » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:34 pm

February 18-23, 2019
Chinese:
tv with zh subs 5h 39 min
reading 1h 14 min
Skritter 37 min
podcast: Chinese through Stories 25 min
tv w/ no subs 10 min
Youtube 9 min
Total: 8h 14 min

French:
tv with eng subs 1h 46 min
reading 1h 5 min ——— (finished Le Petit Prince! Yay!)
tv with no subtitles 1h ------- (ep 2 of Dragon Ball Kai and ep 11-12 of Dragon Ball Super)
conversation in French 45 min
podcast: Français avec Pierre 32 min
Assimil 22 min
Duolingo 19 min
Total: 5h 49 min

February 24 - March 2, 2019
Chinese:
tv with zh subs 8h 18 min
reading 1h 36 min
tv w/ no subs 1h 22 min
Youtube 36 min
Skritter 30 min
podcast 9 min
Total: 12h 31 min

French:
podcast: Français avec Pierre 1h 3 min
reading 1h 1 min ——— (started Pyongyang)
tv with no subtitles 1h ------- (ep 3 of Dragon Ball Kai and ep 13-14 of Dragon Ball Super)
tv with eng subs 53 min
Professor Pierre (SRS) 22 min
Clozemaster 20 min
Duolingo 10 min
writing 5 min
Total: 4h 54 min

March 3-9, 2019
Chinese:
tv with zh subs 4h 12 min ——— (finished My Lucky Star)
reading 2h 16 min
Skritter 44 min
Youtube 40 min
tv w/ no subs 9 min
Total: 8h 1 min

French:
tv with eng subs 2h 36 min
tv with no subtitles 1h ------- (ep 4-5 of Dragon Ball Kai, ep 3 of Totally Spice)
podcast 32 min
podcast: Français avec Pierre 28 min
Coffee Break 20 min
A2 grammar 11 min
reading 9 min
Duolingo 6 min
Total: 5h 22 min

March 10-16, 2019
Chinese:
tv with zh subs 3h 27 min ——— (started Bromance)
Skritter 2 h 8 min
reading 1h 48 min
Youtube 12 min
monologue 8 min
writing 4 min
Total: 7h 47 min

French:
tv with fr subs 2h 28 min
Professor Pierre (SRS) 1h 24 min
tv with no subtitles 1h 16 min ------- (ep 1, 2, 4 of Slayers, ep 5 of Princesse Sarah)
podcast: Français avec Pierre 1h 7 min
tv with eng subs 53 min
A2 grammar 27 min
conversation in French 13 min
reading: news 10 min
Total: 7h 58 min

I feel like I got lazy, but numbers don't support this impression. The end-of-February totals show that I actually spent more time on languages in February than I did in January. The impression of doing less probably comes from the fact that lately, I've been spending much more time on tv-watching than other activities which would require more focus. The good news is that without a doubt my comprehension in both Chinese and French increased since the beginning of the year. I am really hearing the difference, especially in French. My Chinese is on an intermediate level, so it's harder for me to make visible gains in such a short amount of time, but my beginner French is starting to feel much less beginner-like. I am able to fish out more and more words and full sentences each day, and I feel like characters in shows speak slower.

Another important update is that I finished my first book in French, Le Petit Prince! I am now reading a comic book called Pyongyang: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyongyang:_A_Journey_in_North_Korea. My reading of Le Petit Prince would definitely count as extensive. I only looked up up to one word per page, even if there were 20 words I didn't understand. I don't know if this approach will actually help me improve. I know exactly what to do to improve my reading, and that is: learn more grammar! I have still yet to discover any future tenses (besides le Futur Proche, of course). But grammar study is so tedious that I have been getting around to it only every other weekend. At this pace, I'll finish my A2 grammar exercise book by the end of the next year at the earliest.

Also, I decided to counter my slight aversion towards reading news (which results in my not knowing what's going on in the world) with reading a minimum of one news article per day in French - so I have a purpose other than just reading news. I use the mobile app of La Presse, a newspaper from Quebec. It has not been going great. Within more than one week, I managed to read only three short articles. So short that I manage to read them in under 5 minutes. I'm thinking that I should set up alarms on my phone. Maybe the reason I don't feel like doing it is mostly that I don't have the habit.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”