Aloyse's study log (ZH + some ARB, ARQ, KAB, EN, ES, JP)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Aloyse
Orange Belt
Languages: Fr (N), EN (C1),
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9983

Re: Aloyse's study log (ZH, JP, maybe EN, ES, AR ?)

Postby Aloyse » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:43 pm

我刚发现imandarinpod不发布中级的新闻播客了,真可惜。
我今天把洗衣机从走廊到浴室推回了,好累啊!
已经看汉语和西班牙语的视频了,还应该学习西班牙语词汇并复习去年的日语课程的内容。
0 x
Future me already did it.

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Postby Aloyse » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:47 pm

3rd week = 3rd card of Spanish media vocabulary.
Slowed down to 2 "words" per card now. (actually means various meanings and synonyms for each word...)
At this rate I'll be done in 26*50/2 = 650 weeks or 12.5 years. Excellent.

Still doing the Chinese patterns card (1 new pattern each time + cycling through the example sentences from the last 4-6 patterns).

The Japanese class has started.
Hesitating between continuing my Kanji cards (2 kanji and example words per card) from my previous card progress (Kanji #31) or the class current progress (Kanji #113).
Should I add a 2nd card each week in order to catch up ? It won't be enough, heh.

Potential new cards: Chinese grammar, Chinese characters, Standard Arabic grammar, ... So many things I'd like to learn all at once.

Currently watching 1 Spanish and 1 Chinese youtube video everyday. Mostly passive listening.

Trying to find motivation for Saturday Chinese activities/classes.
Trying to find courage to tackle that technical Chinese textbook.

Fortunately, mahjongtime doesn't work with my current computer config. So less time wasted on this.
1 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Postby Aloyse » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:46 am

Aloyse wrote: Hesitating between continuing my Kanji cards (2 kanji and example words per card) from my previous card progress (Kanji #31) or the class current progress (Kanji #113).

The answer is obvious now. Keep doing the cards at my own pace, since I put all the example words from the book on them. And for the new kanji seen in class, just learn the few words (or single word) from class, which is not much work at all.
Also I don't need to wait a full week before creating a new card of any kind. As soon as I can recite the previous card without a hitch, it's go time for a new one.

I successfully abstained from registering to a Spanish or Arabic class.
Today I'm going to a trial "intermediate/advanced" Chinese workshop (I think it means you're supposed to have mastered pinyin?) which will most probably be too easy for me. But let's see. At least it will distract me from the huge spider I saw on the wall in my bedroom this morning.

Edit: I registered for the Chinese workshop and also for a spoken Chinese class (at a different place). Both are on Saturdays but not every Saturday, and there should be only 1 overlap this year.
And yes, this morning's class was too easy, but I figure I can use it to review how to write Chinese characters. Also it will force me to go out on Saturdays. I'll probably bring a packed lunch and stay there until the afternoon Chinese civilization class. I might also go to the monthly game nights (they have mahjong !!).

I also found out that the small (less than 1cm) insect bite I noticed on my elbow yesterday has now expanded into a 4cm red and swollen area. (well, pink and a little swollen). Suspecting the spiders. At least I killed the one I saw. It had a big black body and unremarkable legs. I've now spend 15' looking for it on the internet. Nightmares tonight.
0 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Postby Aloyse » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:20 pm

A few weeks have passed. Uneventful wrt language learning.
Keeping up the Chinese patterns and Kanji cards.
No new Spanish vocab card (need to work on this).
Still watching youtube videos in Spanish and Chinese.
I really should try to summarize each video afterwards.

Feeling stress creeping up on me and it's only mid-october :?
I hate autumn here. Too many spiders, too many insects.

Bought a new smartphone and installed Pleco on it. Considering buying a bundle of options.
0 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:28 pm

I hate autumn here. Too many spiders, too many insects.

I'm not sure where in the world you are, but if you're in China, you have my sympathies. I live in the Southwest US and our region has something in common with many parts of China: stink bugs in autumn (the ones we have though are a type of beetle and their spray smells sulfur-y). I had to remove one from my TV room this morning. I came out of my room to be get breakfast and my cats were just staring at it as it moseyed across the floor, like "Maybe our human will take care of it." They know what stink bugs are and won't touch them. :lol:
0 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Complaining about bugs and seasons

Postby Aloyse » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:55 pm

No, I'm merely in good old mostly boring France. In a city.
But I've never lived in a city with this many bugs before. Especially in autumn, which used to be my favorite season but is quickly becoming my worst nightmare here.

Spiders (several different kinds, and at least one of them bites, although the venom is very mild and not painful at all, still, the thought that they climbed my body while I was sleeping and bit me for no reason at all :evil: ),
stink bugs (also several different kinds),
silverfish (I waged war on them and I don't see as many as last year but I know there are still some in my flat),
flying ants (they get into my clothes and bite me as I'm innocently walking outside),
and of course mosquitoes (both the old ones and the "new" striped ones),
and fruit flies,
and those annoying green or black little things that love landing on my face whenever I go outside
and many others.

(I also saw a snake on a hot summer day although it was in a business district, but still technically in the city).

In summary:
Summer is way too hot in this town, basically can't do anything other than go to work and bask in the glorious aircon, then go straight home and sit in front of the electric fan in my underwear while eating ice cream and praying that my electronics don't overheat and die on me (the casing of my internet box has a permanent orange stain now - radiator but no fan on the CPU - but it's still working... until next summer maybe).
Winter is way too cold and dark. Enough said.
Autumn is bug hell.
And spring... is almost fine except that I never ever got pollen allergy before coming here, and now I do :evil:
0 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

第二个中文星期六

Postby Aloyse » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:57 pm

我今天上了中级汉语课。我以为这门课的内容对我来说太容易,不过发现我把很多量词和家庭的东西的名字都忘了。
以后有了中国文化课(法语讲的),最后是中文合唱课。
华裔的老太太都是法语、广东话、普通话一起聊天的。
我今晚好累拉!
1 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Postby Aloyse » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:33 pm

I have been lazy this week and didn't even do my passive listening stuff (youtube), I also stopped my little 15' review/transcription of Japanese class stuff in the mornings. I merely listened to the same old podcasts in bed and only wrote one new card for tramway review (Chinese sentence patterns).

Today was somewhat disappointing. I went to an "oral practice workshop" at a local private Chinese language school. But it ended up being a lecture in French about Chinese culture. Still interesting but I'd like to practice communicating in Chinese. The Mahjong session was also not quite as expected. Only 3 players, including one total beginner, and we spoke French too. Ah well.

To do:
Restore routines.
Go to bed earlier.
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:11 pm

Sorry for your disappointments with Chinese, but you do write an entertaining log. :)
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Postby Aloyse » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:44 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Sorry for your disappointments with Chinese, but you do write an entertaining log. :)

I could write on and on about the drawbacks of living in this small town wrt language learning and daily life.

Cèid Donn wrote:my cats were just staring at it as it moseyed across the floor, like "Maybe our human will take care of it."

Once, my parents' new long haired cat got diarrhea. He pointedly got his unwashed smelly butt in our faces until my mom caved in and washed it for him. (all previous cats were short haired so none of us expected this.)

Aloyse wrote:Bought a new smartphone and installed Pleco on it. Considering buying a bundle of options.

Done. Better not lose that registration number now :mrgreen:
3 x

Return to “Language logs”