Aloyse's study log (ZH + some ARB, ARQ, KAB, EN, ES, JP)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Aloyse
Orange Belt
Languages: Fr (N), EN (C1),
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9983

Ditching Japanese class?

Postby Aloyse » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:09 pm

The hours aren't convenient anymore (the number of students is dwindling and insufficient to keep two sections for the same level, so my group had to adapt to the other group's later class hours.).
I need lots of sleep. And since I want to restart Miracle Morning (sadly, with goals unrelated to language learning), I need to go to bed early.
So I have a choice to make: either skip one level AND switch textbooks, or stop attending Japanese classes for now...
Maybe I'll attend a trial class before deciding.
Anyway, the new "school year" doesn't start right away so I still have time to think about it.
2 x
Future me already did it.

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Re: Ditching Japanese class?

Postby Aloyse » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:23 am

Aloyse wrote:Maybe I'll attend a trial class before deciding.

Already decided.
Too many other challenges (work + finances + health), plus Japanese is not my priority, Chinese is.

There will be opportunities to take Japanese classes later, whether in person or online, since my level is still quite low.
But high intermediate Chinese classes are more difficult to find.

So, I'm keeping the Chinese newspaper reading class, and I'll do my best to take it more seriously (i.e. prepare and review).
And I'll probably still attend the Occasional Saturday Chinese Language and Culture classes since those are usually fun and don't require lots of effort.
3 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Mild September high

Postby Aloyse » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:14 pm

The September bug situation has been manageable so far (3 small spiders, one was already dead).

It's the time of year when everyone is excited about the new "school year" and registering for weekly leisure activities (for kids as well as for adults).

I sent my payment for the Chinese Newspaper reading class.
I also found out that the Chinese Cultural Center in the capital is now offering a few online group classes. I attended classes there quite a few years ago, for one year. At the time I was in a hurry to "speak Chinese fluently" :lol: and found those classes terribly slow.
I might consider taking one of the NPCR4 or 5 online classes now if my Newspaper reading class is cancelled for some reason.
But the CCC has/had quirks such as wanting a copy of your national ID card or passport, and a certain amount of administrative amateurism that doesn't make me too confident about data protection. So it's not my first choice.

Non-language study: there have been several attempts at reviewing the basics of my current workplace's industry. I did relearn (and re-forget) quite a few things.
My current method is this: I bought a book which has a few hundred short chapters, quizzes and exercises. When I feel like it (once a day in theory ;) ), I select a random chapter and study/review it. No hurry to "finish it" + tiny thrill of randomness.
I might apply this to other topics... such as Chinese grammar or even that technical Chinese textbook I'm supposed to be highly motivated about.
5 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Re: Mild September high

Postby Aloyse » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:23 pm

Aloyse wrote:The September bug situation has been manageable so far

Two suspicious, itchy bites appeared on my hands overnight. I thought they were mosquito bites. In the end I found a flying ant while changing the bedsheets. I have yet to find any other person that gets bitten by flying ants. And I have yet to encounter a flying ant without getting bitten. :|

Daily 5' of physical exercise: I switched to a total of (at least) 150 slow reps of warmup or rehab exercises, which is easier to keep track of. Ngl exercising is terribly boring so I need to focus on something more interesting in-between series. (Not focusing during series would lead to injuries though).

Newspaper reading class started with nuclear submarines and weapons-grade enriched uranium and non-proliferation treaties...

Paranoia: I can't help bit feel that a certain librarian is awfully interested in my selections. (I may have piqued his curiosity with rather eclectic book and CD choices.)
Perhaps I'm just a little on edge due to events at work though.
5 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

October. More bugs.

Postby Aloyse » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:28 pm

So as I was naked, wet, and without glasses in the shower, I noticed a dark brown shape in the corner of the ceiling. Of course. Of course.

And while I couldn't make out any details, my imagination unhelpfully ran wild with the unnatural and disgusting number of limbs and body segments and the hairiness,
and wtf does it actually get bigger and bigger every time I squint-glance at it, is it actually a nest of the vile creatures,
and if it falls or jumps into the bathtub I am likely to get tangled in the shower curtain and brain myself on the angle of the washing machine...

Then after I ascertained that it was, in fact, one spider of the long thin legged variety, and the shadow of its ugly body, I had fo follow its progress on the ceiling out of the corner of my eye while blow-drying what's left of my mane, until it reached a place where I could reasonably hope to smite it, which involved a broom handle, lots of paper towels and some growling and stomping.
Fun times.

Yesterday was the first Chinese Saturday of the new school year, in-person. Very nice. Afterwards I had to walk back home (more protests? I didn't really pay attention) but since the weather was just right - not too hot, not too cold - it was actually very nice too.
I might have spent some money at the bookstore on the way.
4 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: October. More bugs.

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:54 pm

Aloyse wrote:And while I couldn't make out any details, my imagination unhelpfully ran wild with the unnatural and disgusting number of limbs and body segments and the hairiness, and wtf does it actually get bigger and bigger every time I squint-glance at it, is it actually a nest of the vile creatures,
and if it falls or jumps into the bathtub I am likely to get tangled in the shower curtain and brain myself on the angle of the washing machine...(...)

That was some great prose, à la Lovecraft. For a second I thought you described a Spinner of Webs (one of the monsters that turned up during the latest game of Eldritch Horror).
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Re: October. More bugs.

Postby Aloyse » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:50 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:That was some great prose

Thank you. Actually, as I was writing this, I thought it would be great if I could write it in Spanish or Chinese, but I would have to look up all the vocabulary and I couldn't hope to write anything more than a simple account of events. I guess I need to read a lot more in Spanish and Chinese :mrgreen:

jeff_lindqvist wrote:à la Lovecraft. For a second I thought you described a Spinner of Webs (one of the monsters that turned up during the latest game of Eldritch Horror).

Hmm now I know what not to read or play...
0 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

En espa~nol

Postby Aloyse » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:43 am

Desdé que me dio cuenta de la estrema diferencia de nivel entre mi español y mi inglés, decidí practicar escribir en español.

La semana pasada me quedé en casa porque tenía una formación en línea.
Fue yo quién solicité esta formación, y mi jefe la aprobó a pesar de que probablemente no utilisaré lo que he aprendido en mi trabajo actual. Pero si algún día tuviera que encontrar un nuevo trabajo, lucería muy bien en mi currículum, porque me permite actualizar mi experiencia anterior.
Probablemente el pensó que era una manera de motivarme, y la verdad es que si yo podía alcanzar una tal formación cado año, me resultaría menos ansiedad y una mejor cualidad de vida, y probablemente no pensaría en irme.
A pesar de que la formación fuese muy interesante, el tiempo me pareció mas longo cada día, hasta que el viernés me quedé en pijamas todo el día jaja.

También hubo el curso de lectura de prensa en chino, y un curso de aeróbicos sin impacto, ambos en línea.

Pienso que hay problemas en lo que he escrito, especialmente en los tiempos de los verbos y quizás también el vocabulario y la sintaxis. A ver si puedo encontrar my cuenta en L8...
4 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Re: 2021! Languages + Fitness

Postby Aloyse » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:05 am

December already.
A lost month with regards to anything other than surviving work/travel/family/too much food, and making lists of goals for the next year.
Let's review my 2021 "goals" and be done with it.

2021 Goals :

Methods/habits
M1: review/update these goals monthly
Failed.

M2: make morning and evening routines easily adaptable to circumstances. Make the evening routine very light and easy.
I ended up with an ultra-basic and somewhat leisurely morning routine consisting of only 3 tasks:
1/ drink tea, 15' (more or less)
2/ study (technical subjects for work) or exercise, for 20'
3/ have breakfast
And then there's my usual USB key + getting ready for work routine.
For the evenings I have a list but everything is optional.

M3: be able to listen to language audio tracks and/or use smartphone apps or physical review cards at any time (especially during housework, standing in line, walking or taking public transportation)
I have the means, I just don't actually do it.

M4: update (some of the) USB key and smarpthone audio tracks at least once a week
Happens infrequently. I have recently added an USB key update entry to my weekly log. We'll see next year.

Languages
L1: keep preparing, attending, reviewing language classes (Japanese + Chinese for now)
I gave up on the Japanese class as it was making me too tired. And the occasional Chinese Saturdays are more or less on hold due to transportation issues. Maybe I "just" need to buy a car.

L2: finish reviewing the 8 remaining lessons in "Manuel d'Arabe Tome 1" (before December)
I was making no progress at all so I recently switched the USB key track to Assimil "Arabe sans peine". Currently on lesson 4.

L3: 40x review basic Mandarin (including Occasional Chinese Saturdays classes)
Rough estimate: maybe 8 to 10 Saturday morning classes.

L4: read 25 articles in Mandarin (including those read in class)
L5: read 25 articles in Spanish (can be from the "Vocable Espagnol" learner's magazine)

These goals are more or less reached. I really should log more carefully so that I'm not left wondering what I achieved or not...

L6: (USB key) shadow at least 10 more tracks from Assimil Kit de Conversation (KAB/ARQ)
3/10

L7: Learn 1 new poem (or song) in each of my 7 main languages
L99: (if possible) take some kind of (official) language exam

Failed 0/7.

Fitness:
F1: get rid of 6 to 8 kg and reach Normal BMI range (before December)
Failed. At least I didn't regain weight beyond what I lost.

F2: (at least) 5' purposeful exercise everyday
There were starts and fits but I'm satisfied with my current morning routine which means this goal is reached, on average instead of everyday, at least for the past few weeks and hopefully for the future.

F3: (at least) 20' walking and 6 flights of stairs everyday (or equivalent light physical activity at home)
Walking ok on work days only. Stairs mostly failing. But I can work on this.

F4: avoid sitting on the toilet, squat whenever possible
F5: use the standing desks in the workshop when possible (without excess)

These are ok.

Smaller tasks

S1: (USB key) add some kind of Spanish track
Done (January)

S2: (USB key) replace the Hospitality English track with some kind of Technical English track
not done.

S3: (USB key) replace the Chinese track with some kind of Newspaper Chinese track (probably "Special Chinese" from imandarinpod, or sound from Youtube videos recommended in Newspaper reading class)
Done (January)

S4: (USB key/Smartphone/other) implement a very easy method for listening to languages while doing housework
I just move the MP3 player around.

S5: try batch cooking (including breakfast prep) to avoid eating junk food when my evenings are busy due to classes, or wasting time/stressing myself out due to lack of time
I don't really "cook" but I sometimes boil vegetables for several days in advance. Also since I simplified my routines and gave up on the Japanese class, my life is generally less stressful.

S6: make a detailed schedule for morning routines of various lengths depending on time available
Abandoned since I simplified my morning routine.

S7: investigate standing desk possibilities for home and for the office
I bookmarked a few things but just didn't buy anything.
If I'm stuck at the office for the full day, I try to go work in a meeting room with high tables for at least 30'.
At home during my morning study, I try to pace while reading a book aloud and/or reciting.

Main takeaways:
1/ log more carefully what I do on a daily basis
2/ don't overload myself long term with unimportant stuff
3/ do something differently to get different results (but don't break what already works!)
5 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Weekly log

Postby Aloyse » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:20 pm

Aloyse wrote:A lost month with regards to anything other than surviving

Well, I guess I can still practice logging stuff.

2021年12月5~11日

Current USB key contents:
- 44" Darja Assimil GDC track 4
- 1'15" Berber Assimil GDC track 5
- 1'51" MSA "Assimil Arabe sans peine" lesson 5 (updated)
- 2'44" Mandarin News recording from YT 双减政策
- 2'04" IT口语 lesson 1 (new character: 攒) (new)
- 34" Marugoto A2.1 track 158 (new)
- 1'39" Be My Guest track 25 (updated)
- 5' random Marugoto tracks from A1 and A2.1 books (updated)
- 6' Seguridad del internauta (updated)
- 10' NHK lesson 26 (updated)

Listened to USB key: 5x
Language or culture classes: 3x through zoom (distracted :( )
YT: (I will log the number of videos watched in languages other than French or English)
FF: (I will log the number of fanfiction - chapers? - read in languages other than French or English)
Y!: (I will log the number of articles or merely titles read in languages other than French or English)

Weight: 75.9
Most Simple Miracle Morning: 3x study, 3x exercise
20' walking: 5x
6 flights of stairs: 2x
Reasonable eating: 0x
Falling asleep: 1x late slot, 5x middle slot, 1x early slot
Exhausted at the end of the week.
5 x

Return to “Language logs”