Aloyse's study log (ZH + some ARB, ARQ, KAB, EN, ES, JP)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Aloyse
Orange Belt
Languages: Fr (N), EN (C1),
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9983

2021! Languages + Fitness

Postby Aloyse » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:44 am

Edit: here's the recap of my 2020 Languages and Fitness Challenge. New goals for 2021 below that.
Aloyse wrote:End of year recap

Yes, it's only mid-December, but my routines failed at the start of December (mix of 2nd lockdown + end of year stress + gloomy December + chocolate goodies),
so I don't expect any actual progress this month (although I will be working towards rebuilding and adapting my routines so that they're up and running before Jan 1st).

Fitness:
F1. get rid of 4kg :) I got rid of about 3kg. Trying to resist the papillottes now. In 2021 I'd like to get rid of 6kg and thus reach the top of the "normal weight" range.
F2. daily moderate exercise :) Before the start of December, I was pretty successful with 5' morning exercise and 15' once or twice a week.

Languages:
L1. Read 1 book in Spanish :oops: Nope. Started one book but didn't finish it. I'm considering subscribing to a learners magazine instead next year.
L2. Read 1 book in Arabic ;) Nope, but reviewing my old textbooks. Hoping to finish reviewing "Manuel d'arabe moderne tome 1" next year.
L3. Read 1 book in Chinese :oops: Not started.
L4. Adapt my (mostly passive) routines to encompass all 7 of my main target languages instead of only 4 :) Missing only 1 (Spanish).

Extra:
Combine fitness and languages :) I got in the habit of watching Chinese language workout videos during my morning 5' workout.

2021: I tried to keep these achievable, and they should be, barring any deaths in the family.

Goals :

Methods/habits
M1: review/update these goals monthly
January : done.

M2: make morning and evening routines easily adaptable to circumstances. Make the evening routine very light and easy.
January : created morning timetable and preparing breakfast for the week.

M3: be able to listen to language audio tracks and/or use smartphone apps or physical review cards at any time (especially during housework, standing in line, walking or taking public transportation)
January : no actual progress.

M4: update (some of the) USB key and smarpthone audio tracks at least once a week
January : ok

Languages
L1: keep preparing, attending, reviewing language classes (Japanese + Chinese for now)
January : attending is fine, preparing and reviewing not so good.

L2: finish reviewing the 8 remaining lessons in "Manuel d'Arabe Tome 1" (before December)
January : started listening to lesson 8 but lesson 7 exercises still not done

L3: 40x review basic Mandarin (including Occasional Chinese Saturdays classes)
January : 2 classes this month.

L4: read 25 articles in Mandarin (including those read in class)
January : at least 2 articles this month.

L5: read 25 articles in Spanish (can be from the "Vocable Espagnol" learner's magazine)
January : at least 2 articles this month.

L6: (USB key) shadow at least 10 more tracks from Assimil Kit de Conversation (KAB/ARQ)
January : 1 new track this month.

L7: Learn 1 new poem (or song) in each of my 7 main languages
January : nothing. But we did read some Chinese poems in the Saturday culture class.

L99: (if possible) take some kind of (official) language exam
January : nothing.

Fitness:
F1: get rid of 6 to 8 kg and reach Normal BMI range (before December)
January : got rid of the end of year weight gain (about 1 to 1.5kg).

F2: (at least) 5' purposeful exercise everyday
January : 26/31

F3: (at least) 20' walking and 6 flights of stairs everyday (or equivalent light physical activity at home)
January : 26/31

F4: avoid sitting on the toilet, squat whenever possible
January : ongoing.

F5: use the standing desks in the workshop when possible (without excess)
January : ongoing.

Smaller tasks (list to be expanded during the year):

S1: (USB key) add some kind of Spanish track: Done (January).
S2: (USB key) replace the Hospitality English track with some kind of Technical English track
S3: (USB key) replace the Chinese track with some kind of Newspaper Chinese track (probably "Special Chinese" from imandarinpod, or sound from Youtube videos recommended in Newspaper reading class) : Done (January)
S4: (USB key/Smartphone/other) implement a very easy method for listening to languages while doing housework (buy 2nd pair of BT headphones, since the "outside" headphones have Covid cooties?)
S5: try batch cooking (including breakfast prep) to avoid eating junk food when my evenings are busy due to classes, or wasting time/stressing myself out due to lack of time
S6: make a detailed schedule for morning routines of various lengths depending on time available : Done (January)
S7: investigate standing desk possibilities for home and for the office
Last edited by Aloyse on Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Future me already did it.

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Re: Aloyse's study log (ZH, JP + some ARB, ARQ, KAB, EN, ES)

Postby Aloyse » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:36 am

: 1 / 12 12x review and update goals
: 2 / 40 40x review basic Mandarin
: 2 / 25 read 25 articles in Mandarin
: 2 / 25 read 25 articles in Spanish
: 7 / 15 review Manuel d'arabe moderne tome 1
: 1 / 10 shadow 10 KAB/ARQ audio tracks
: 0 / 7 1 new poem or song x 7 languages
: 2 / 16 lose up to 8kg

Spending:
~ 190 € one year subscribtion to a Spanish learners’ magazine
~ 400 € Chinese classes
~ 280 € Japanese classes
Total 870 € :shock:

Notes for summer 2021 morning or early morning classes, Paris time
  1. gvs tbd, group or private classes
  2. keats tbd, private classes
  3. The mandarin school Harbin, tbd, private classes
  4. imandarinpod, tbd, private classes
  5. shisu 12/7 to 13/8 or 20/8 or 27/8, 9:00-12:15
  6. xisu 2/8 to 27/8, 8:30 to 10:50
  7. sjtu 5/7 to 30/7, 10:00 to 12:00
  8. shnu 5/7 to 30/7, 3:45 to 8:30
  9. blcu 30/6 to 27/7, or programs ending on 24/8, 2:30 to 6:30
  10. LTL: stops at HSK4 for group classes

For a speaking challenge:
- get assessed before and after: OPI, pipplet ?
- shadowing
- memorize and adapt dialogues from speaking textbooks
- memorize and play skits
- vocabulary substitution
- build a story from cue cards
- ask and answer questions about an article or video
- transcribe solo exercise, ask for written correction
- summarize and discuss an article or video with a tutor
- practice specific grammar points, sentence patterns, vocabulary fields with a tutor
- language exchanges: smalltalk, presenting oneself, can dos from CEFRL
- powerpoint presentation
- practice hospitality/banquet

Speaking level evaluations:
- BLISS (no Chinese)
- Lilate
- Pipplet Flex
- DCL (fixed dates, in person)
- Leveltel (no Chinese)
- OPI (difficult to order?)
Last edited by Aloyse on Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:49 am, edited 6 times in total.
2 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Postby Aloyse » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:15 pm

Quick update

In Januray I followed my plan and was very busy.
In February I started skipping my morning routine on weekends, then on some weekdays, then stopped altogether.

I've been relatively good at attending classes (only missed one when I ate something that didn't agree with me), but not so good at preparing/reviewing them, except for the audio tracks on my USB key.
To be honest, I'm getting behind on my kanji readings, and forgetting Japanese vocabulary as well. I considered giving up on this class, but then decided not to make any decisions right now.

That's about it.
Oh uh I discovered the in-browser game Hero Wars. Also found a few multiplayer Mahjong apps.
Lots of time wasted on these.
I'm also decluttering - again.

Now we're almost done with March...
Let's see about April.

Since I'm busy two nights a week because of classes, maybe I should restart a light morning routine on the other days. This way I keep some free time everyday either at night or in the morning...
5 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Newspaper reading class

Postby Aloyse » Sat May 15, 2021 1:51 pm

The Chinese newspaper reading class was downright riveting this week :geek: it doesn't always happen though.

The teacher is often inconsistent,
sometimes he'll ask whether we have some news to share (opportunity for speaking practice, but you need to have prepared something to say...),
sometimes he goes straight into lecture mode (zero opportunity for speaking practice),
sometimes he'll says "next week we'll read this article" or "please watch this video for next week", so I spend time looking up the vocabulary etc, but the following week he's found some other article or video about a totally different topic,
sometimes he'll discuss some really hard topics and sometimes fluff pieces.

It's kind of difficult to prepare for this class because you never know what will strike the teacher's fancy.

If they go back to in-person classes next year (I'm not sure this will happen :roll: ) I won't be able to attend anymore (living in a totally different area) so here are my notes for self-study:
- use the imandarinpod 听新闻学汉语 podcast. I think I should listen to it a few times trying to understand the meaning (i.e. over several days), then read it and look up the vocabulary, then listen to it again several times. Perhaps take dictation in the end.
- skim the news in Chinese and practice simple sentences such as "today I read that..." (actually I should do this even if I can still attend class :lol: )
- read some articles or broadcast transcripts that have a sound track so that I can check actual pronunciation. (especially for 多音字 and neutral tone.)
4 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Re: Busy Saturday / Idle Saturday

Postby Aloyse » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:57 am

Last weekend I had a busy Saturday.
In the morning, lower intermediate Chinese class (online). Reviewed how to give directions.
In the afternoon, Chinese culture class (online). Read and discussed a Tang poem and its translation.
Afterwards I went and got my vaccine, then foolishly entered a public library and came back home with 9 books (!). Afterwards I again lamented the fact that there is no Chinese library in this smaller town (very much regretting the several libraries in Paris that have Chinese books).
The next day my arm was (slightly) aching and I was feeling (slightly) off, so I took it easy and took a paracetamol pill.

Then there was yesterday. I ditched housework and went to visit a "Chinese shop" that I found on Google. They did not have the giant calligraphy brush that I was after (for practicing on the floor in summertime). The closest one had a good size brush but the handle was about 30cm and it cost 75€ so I didn't buy it.
They also had lots of Chinese paraphernalia but I wasn't actually tempted to buy anything.
I came back home after having lunch at a pizzeria and idled all afternoon on the internet (not even on Chinese websites).

The end of the "school year" is coming. I'm planning to keep a schedule similar to my current class schedule, but with just 30' of active solo language study:
Japanese on Tuedays,
Chinese newspapers on Wednesdays,
Chinese review on Saturdays (except that it should be every Saturday, not Occasional Saturdays)
Hopefully adding Arabic Fridays and Spanish Sundays too?
6 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Postby Aloyse » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:55 pm

Since it appeared that having the Japanese and Newspaper reading sessions in my work calendar helped, I also added Arabic (Fridays) and Chinese review (Saturday) in there.
I haven't done much but it's better than nothing.

For this summer my primary Japanese goals are
1) be able to read katakana fluently and
2) memorize the (simpler) conjugation table from my textbook
(I had a look at the conjugation page on wikipedia, scary :cry: )
I switched the Hero Wars UI to Japanese. So many katakanas, it's kind of ridiculous.
2 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Passe sanitaire, état civil...

Postby Aloyse » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:00 pm

So I had my two vaccine jabs and I have the QR code paper (passe sanitaire).

However it's probably useless for traveling abroad because it bears my daily life name (French given name + Ambiguous last name) instead of my official name/passport name (French given name dash Arabic given name + Ambiguous last name).

Ah well.

My French given name sounds quite close to a biblical given name. Some Jews have asked me whether I was Jewish (Séfarade) upon hearing my daily life name. Apparently it's common in France to give Jewish children non-Jewish first names that sound close to Jewish first names - to make ethnicity/religion less obvious and avoid potential discrimination.

Because my French given name is the name of a late antiquity Christian martyr, some Catholics assume I'm Catholic (or at least from a Catholic family).

Most Muslims assume I'm not a Muslim. I think it's mosly because of the French given name - Muslim families seem to care less about potential discrimination from non-Muslims than about what the Muslim neighbours would say if they gave their kids non-Muslim first names. Plus my general appearance and behaviour. Plus the fact that my last name is somewhat ambiguous.

No one has ever asked me whether I had Berber ancestors. Which I do have on one side of the family. And my ambiguous last name is actually the Berber part of my name, but it doesn't bear any typical Berber markers like Aït, and doesn't contain any k or kh either and so on. It could be perceived as a less common French surname or a foreign-but-still-possibly-European surname, or a probably-from-an-undetermined-Arab-country surname.

Apparently my full, official name (French-Arabic Ambiguous) is quite jarring when announced aloud by the voting station staff (as the voting procedure mandates).
Many a head has raised suddenly to have a look at me, and then seem ... relieved? for some reason. I've often wondered what thoughts go through those heads. Maybe, "oh, this alarmingly-named person actually looks like an average//white?//non-religious-fanatic? French person".

To finish this grand déballage about my origins and general paranoia:
my father refused to watch the movie "Mais qu'est-ce qu'on a fait au Bon Dieu" (in which a French Catholic couple deals with their daughters marrying non-French-Catholic men). My mother watched it and said "it reminds me of when I married your father". Not in a pleasant way, in case you're wondering.
10 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Postby Aloyse » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:35 pm

Aloyse wrote:Since it appeared that having the Japanese and Newspaper reading sessions in my work calendar helped, I also added Arabic (Fridays) and Chinese review (Saturday) in there.

I had a busy week at work and didn't get to do any of my self-study sit-down sessions.
But I did install Duolingo on my phone and did some Arabic review with it. I also played with Latin/Spanish/Japanese/Chinese/German. I don't think I could learn a language with Duolingo but it seems ok for review.

I still have my USB key of course.
I'm quite pleased with the Vocable Espagnol audio tracks, but already thinking about the next step (it's been 6 months).
The Vocable Espagnol articles are read at a pace which is much slower than authentic radio or tv programs. So obviously the next step should involve full speed audio somehow.
2 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Haircut

Postby Aloyse » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:45 pm

Arabic Friday happened (reviewed chapter 8 vocabulary).
Chinese Saturday also happened (dictation from imandarinpod's "Simple Chinese" news podcast about 神舟十二号).
Although there was no Japanese Tueday this week, I did manage to finally memorize the て形 while waiting for the tramway.

Also I went to Monoprix (on foot - the tramway wasn't running due to an anti vax / anti passe demonstration on the way) and bought a new pair of scissors which I used to cut my hair. The weather here has been wet and hot for weeks and I couldn't stand this mass of hair anymore. I just put another elastic around my ponytail at a reasonable length, then brought it over my shoulder to chop it off. Now I just need to resist to urge to look at it. If I look at it I'll get the impression that it is uneven and I'll try to egalize it and make it even more uneven.

Last night after studying Arabic vocabulary (yay!) I felt the urge to connect to my company's network and check up on how my latest hardware is holding up under intensive use. Performance has been slowly degrading, but is it due to the hardware or to the material being processed ?
Then since I was connected to the VPN, I logged onto another machine to check whether my colleague's work order was being speedily processed since I also have several work orders waiting for that machine to be free.
:shock: 0% yield on colleague's work order so far (about 10% done). Colleague has left on vacation. High probability that project leader will be unbearable on Monday if colleague's work order fails completely and we have to scrap all the parts.
I hesitated about sending an sms to colleague but then since I immediately found what was wrong, I directly phoned the shop supervisor to stop colleague's work order and sent corrective instructions through email.
Afterwards I was too keyed up to fall asleep so I ended up using Duolingo in bed...

So I caved after writing this, I went to the bathroom to have another look at my hair. Hmmph.

I watched a few Karate youtube videos in Japanese. I couldn't make heads or tails of the commentary except for a few move names which I recognized from my teenage years. I was fairly obsessed with Martial Arts at some point.

Edit: Note to self : with long hair, untangle before washing and after blow drying. With freshly cut hair, untangle before washing, then tie up in a simili bun after blow drying, to create waves that will hide unevenness - do not untangle afterwards.
Last edited by Aloyse on Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: Haircut

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:24 pm

Aloyse wrote:Now I just need to resist to urge to look at it. If I look at it I'll get the impression that it is uneven and I'll try to egalize it and make it even more uneven.

So I caved after writing this, I went to the bathroom to have another look at my hair. Hmmph.
STAY STRONG ALOYSE!

No more cutting!
2 x

Return to “Language logs”