General language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
sporedandroid
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (beginner)

Re: General language log

Postby sporedandroid » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:56 am

I’ve moved on to watching more of the tv shows and movies I’ve studied on subs2srs. At first it does feel unnatural to watch. It’s like I’m remembering what I studied rather than understanding. Usually if I watch it a few times in a less focused way it starts to feel more natural. There’s also a few parts I miss. Probably because of suspended cards. I’m also starting to study more subtitled Hebrew videos. Stuff like tv segments and teen shows. Still not sure if it’s an efficient learning method. I’m definitely looking up a lot of words. I’ve tried this method for a long time, but I’ve only been able to keep at it recently. It’s fairly mentally draining, but it’s getting better and better. I’m happy to hear that Luca Lampariello considers it intense even if it’s a short video. According to reverso I’ve made 6351 searches in total. I know some of them are probably repeats, but it’s interesting to see how much I’ve studied. I’m noticing that my comprehension is improving, but I don’t seem to get moments where I dramatically understand more like I used to. What I do notice is that more and more subs2srs Shtisel cards are becoming redundant. I guess my ultimate goal is that all the cards I’ll get will be redundant and I’ll be able to watch it normally.
1 x

sporedandroid
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (beginner)

Re: General language log

Postby sporedandroid » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:38 pm

Just boarded the plane to Iceland. My Icelandic listening comprehension is poor like I expected. It was never that great to begin with. I had questionable study habits. I was scared to study from flashcards because I thought it would encourage mental translation. Icelandiconline seemed to be a good structured course, but structured courses don’t really give me listening comprehension. I need a lot of content and I’m not sure I can get that with Icelandic. I might buy some things in Icelandic if they look cool enough and are a good enough price. Even if they’re not, I’ll use them as a decoration. I was kind of happy I didn’t decide to brush up on Icelandic because I bet it would really strain my mind. I definitely felt that the first time I went to Iceland. Right now I’m pretty much not trying to understand.
5 x

Return to “Language logs”