General language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
sporedandroid
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (pre-A1), Turkish (pre-A1, aiming for around A1)

Re: General language log

Postby sporedandroid » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:35 am

I just downloaded a bunch of Hebrew resources. So I’m going to try a bunch of them and see which one I’ll use. I feel hopeful about Hebrew from scratch. I have a bunch of anki cards for it that I learned out of context. I quit studying from it, but if I end up liking Hebrew From Scratch I'll get back into it. I also downloaded hebrewpod, which I kind of like. I like that hebrewpod doesn’t just have touristy stuff. I just find touristy stuff so pointless for me in particular. I’m guessing Hebrew From Scratch won’t be all that touristy either based on the vocabulary. I find it pretty stressful to try out new resources, so I think I’ll have to pace myself. Even when I’m too stressed to try out new resources I’m still able to maintain my progress with the anki decks I have. Since I’m studying from movies and tv shows that interest me, I can also learn vocabulary that interests me.

I’m trying to get some good Hebrew resources I can use without internet for a long flight. It’s not to Israel, so some people might find it silly I’m studying Hebrew instead of the local language. The reason I’m not interested all that much in the local language is because I heard it’s hard and I’m just not prepared to put all that energy into something I’m not interested. I’m not exactly interested in language learning itself. I tend to get more interested in specific cultures. Right now it’s Judaism, so I’m studying Hebrew. I’m doing modern Hebrew because I think it’s easier to do my preferred study methods with modern languages.

If I don’t find any Hebrew resources I like I’ll study my Tatoeba anki deck on the plane. When I first started studying from it I could barely make it through a sentence and I constantly had to look up words. Now I know pretty much all words, but struggle to understand the meaning. So it’s pretty much perfect for me to study from, but I won’t really be learning all that many words from it. I guess this is some interesting progress. A few months ago I thought that if you knew all the words you would automatically understand stuff. I’m starting to find that’s not really the case. I’m finding more and more sentences where I actually know all of the words, but don’t understand it.
0 x

sporedandroid
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (pre-A1), Turkish (pre-A1, aiming for around A1)

Postby sporedandroid » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:45 pm

I found a pdf of all the songs on HaKeves HaShisha Asar by Yehonatan Geffen. I really enjoy the way his poetry sounds. They’re are children’s songs and poems, so that makes them easier to understand. When I read the lyrics I really notice how slow my reading is. Sometimes I’ll want to look up a word, but after thinking about it for a few seconds I realize I already know it. Most of the time I’d probably understand those words if I heard them. Some lower frequency words like clouds are a bit harder for me to understand.
0 x

sporedandroid
Orange Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:09 am

A few days ago or so I went through the songs and poems and looked up unknown words. They didn’t make sense to me when I did that. Today I went back to the poem Johnny Giraffe. I still had issues with some words and phrasing, but when I looked up words again and relistened it started to make more sense to me. It seems like when I alternate between concentrating on remembering what words mean and listening in a relaxed way I start to understand it better. I’ve also been playing a lot more clozemaster. I think it’s helping me understand how phrases work better, so I understand better. I’ve known for a while my lack of grammar knowledge was holding back my comprehension.
1 x

sporedandroid
Orange Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:39 am

I tried watching some Sesame Street. I couldn’t understand it completely. I don’t know if it’s effective. Afterwards I watched Arthur. I don’t know if this is the right thing to do, but I look up every word I’m not familiar with. A lot of the words I look up are words I already know. Sometimes I just pause the video and let myself think. Sometimes that does the trick. That happens a lot when I’m reading. I’ll see a word I don’t understand and as I’m looking it up I remember what it means. This delay is kind of annoying, but I think it will go away. I just keep running into more and more sentences where I know all the words, but it takes me a while to figure out.

I guess I’m at the ideal level for tatoeba. When I first started I had to look up pretty much every word. Now I pretty much don’t have to. When I first started those sentences I wondered how I’d study them while I was traveling. I didn’t know a lot of the words and I kind of thought it would be pointless to study them if I knew all of the words. I wanted to be able to just know all the words in those sentences. I pretty much do now, but it didn’t give me as much comprehension as I thought it would.
0 x

sporedandroid
Orange Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:28 am

I notice that after I do intensive activities like this I seem to understand songs better. One thing I like to do when I’m studying like this is return to stuff I studied before. I find I can understand it in a more natural way.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”