General language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
sporedandroid
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (A2-B1)

Re: General language log

Postby sporedandroid » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:32 am

I’ve been noticing a pattern with my studying. If I watch an episode of a show in Hebrew I probably won’t study Icelandic and vice versa. I think this works because there isn’t all that many shows I’m into at the moment. So there’s only so many episodes I can watch. I’m still debating about whether studying Icelandic is a good idea right now.

When I was watching some Hebrew YouTube videos I got recommended a Finnish video for whatever reason. I seem to get recommended videos in all sorts of random videos for some reason. I watch Hebrew videos on a separate account. When I tried an Israeli VPN I also noticed a few videos being recommended in random languages such as Swedish.

I watched that video for fun. For some reason I find Finnish clearer sounding than Icelandic. I know way less Finnish words, but I was able to hear quite a few words I do know. It wasn’t a blur of sound. Just a sea of words I don’t know with a few words I know sprinkled in. Kind of like Hebrew used to be for me. I couldn’t understand what was going on, but I feel like with language learning I’m getting better at understanding with more knowledge gaps.
2 x

sporedandroid
Green Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:17 am

There’s an Icelandic word that’s been bugging me for a while. The word is enginn. I had a feeling it was some sort of negative word. I wasn’t sure if my brain was inventing that word or not. Mainly because there’s a Hebrew word that is ein which is also a negative word. I could hear one sentence playing in my head over an over again, but the word didn’t turn out to be enginn. It was eigin which means one’s one. So not a negative word. I thought I was going nuts. Today I came across an anki card that contained the word enginn. The word means no one, nobody, nothing. So it is a negative word and I didn’t make it up. Don’t you just love it when you mix up completely unrelated languages?
1 x

sporedandroid
Green Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:01 am

I think I’ll put Icelandic on a pause. One reason I started it was because I was getting bored. Now that I have school, I don’t have that problem anymore. Another reason is that as much as I like studying Hebrew, I don’t really feel much of a connection to Israel. I think this has to do with being intermediate in a language. I have to remember that I can still enjoy a culture or language without being connected to it. I think finding more and more media helps with this feeling.

I also find that Icelandic interferes with time I could be using to be watching tv shows in Hebrew. At the time I got back into Icelandic I wasn’t really into any shows in Hebrew. I recently got to a high enough level to be able to enjoy shows in Hebrew. I still don’t watch shows without pausing, but it doesn’t stop me from enjoying shows anymore.

I think it might also have to do with finding shows that interest me in the first place. I think I just got to the stage where interest starts to improve comprehension. I think when you’re late beginner or early intermediate it makes less of a difference. As a late beginner finding content I understood at all was more important than finding content that interests me. That often meant I had to pick predictable and repetitive podcasts. I think the novelty of understanding a new language can make up for less than interesting content. I think that’s where motivation to learn the language itself comes in.

Studying Icelandic made me realize how much I speak to myself in Hebrew in my head. I often end up wanting to do the same in Icelandic. As you can imagine things don’t go too well. I think languages that that are in the upper beginner and intermediate stage take up a lot of mental space. I think when you’re a true beginner things don’t stick enough to take up much mental space.

Being consistent with Icelandic was also challenging. If I studied Icelandic too late at night it would take over my mental space too much. So in the morning I would notice that it’s harder to focus on Hebrew podcasts. When I noticed that issue I tried to study Icelandic at around 6-8 pm. Not for two hours, but any time I feel like during that time range. That sort of worked, but that forced me to watched Hebrew shows at 9:00 or 10:00 pm.

Watching Hebrew tv shows late at night isn’t a good idea. They kind of hype my mind up because I have to work hard to keep up with the pace and/or I find the plot exciting. Podcasts had the opposite effect because they’re slower paced, weren’t super interesting and at one point challenging for me to understand. Now podcasts don’t challenge me in that way. Sometimes I won’t be able to understand the subject matter very well, but that doesn’t make me sleepy anymore.

That was another reason I wanted to learn Icelandic. I wanted to be able to fall asleep to podcasts again. I can do it with French, but French starts to annoy me after a while. I later found out I can get the same effect by reading a book in Hebrew or even a challenging book in English. I think the key to falling asleep is doing something slow, but challenging.

Another reason I wanted to study Icelandic was because I wanted to see how successful repetitive listening would be for other languages. I chose Icelandic because I notice my reading is a lot stronger compared to my listening. I definitely noticed progress within one or two months, but it wasn’t as quick as my progress in Hebrew. Possibly because I was starting from a lower level in listening. It seems like the higher your level, the quicker you progress. As my level in Icelandic got higher I think the improvements got quicker.
3 x

sporedandroid
Green Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:43 am

I’m noticing quite a bit of progress for my reading level in Hebrew. While my reading isn’t great, I no longer feel illiterate. For a while I felt practically illiterate, especially when I encountered unknown words. Now I’m sort of familiar with what an unknown words might sound like and mean. That was my goal for 2020. I think one thing that helped me was to have Hebrew definitions on my anki cards and making myself read them. At first I looked up all the words. Eventually I sort of started getting lazy since I already had an idea of what the words meant. I sort of just got used to reading words without knowing how they’re pronounced. Now I can read articles without looking up a whole lot words. My goal for this year is to just start reading articles on topics I’m interested in. I also browse the online bookstore a lot. Even if I don’t buy any books, I get plenty of reading practice just by browsing.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”