General language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
sporedandroid
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (A2-B1)

Re: General language log

Postby sporedandroid » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:59 am

I was running low on sentences from my premade anki decks. So I decided to give subs2srs a try. For shits and giggles I looked up the Hebrew version of the Bee Movie. The Bee Movie is a bit of an inside joke for me because one of my favorite Israeli bands is called Kaveret (כוורת), which means beehive. They do use the word כוורת for the title of the Hebrew version of the Bee Movie. I found clips of the Bee Movie, but I also found the full version of Peter Rabbit. It was too convenient for me to ignore it, so I made some flash cards from Peter Rabbit.

My basic vocabulary came in handy because the first Hebrew subtitles I downloaded were correct translations, but didn’t match up with the dub. Thankfully I could quickly find the correct subtitles. After some troubleshooting I got it to work. I still need to fix some cosmetic issues, but the cards seem fully functional. I don’t know how well these cards will work in practice. Peter Rabbit is an okay movie, but it’s not my favorite. Neither is the Bee Movie, but at least I can get a kick out of it being in Hebrew. I don’t get the same from Peter Rabbit. Either way it’s probably more interesting than the premade anki decks. I mainly used the premade anki decks because I was too lazy to make my own or look for other resources. I didn’t want my laziness to stop me too much from making progress, so I just studied from my super convenient premade anki decks.

Rather than looking for the Hebrew version of the Bee Movie I’ll probably look for Shtisel or something that’s actually originally in Hebrew. I’ve wanted to study vocabulary from Shtisel for a while. I actually enjoyed watching that show and I think I’d gain a lot more cultural knowledge.
1 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Re: General language log (Hebrew/Turkish/English pronunciation)

Postby tommus » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:44 pm

sporedandroid wrote:How I sound speaking English. https://vocaroo.com/i/s0eAXEo7gor5

As far as accent and tone, I think you sound fine, like a Canadian or American. But I think you should try speaking a slight bit slower and more clearly, and don't run your words together quite so much. You sound like you are in a hurry.
0 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

sporedandroid
Blue Belt

Re: General language log (Hebrew/Turkish/English pronunciation)

Postby sporedandroid » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:33 am

tommus wrote:
sporedandroid wrote:How I sound speaking English. https://vocaroo.com/i/s0eAXEo7gor5

As far as accent and tone, I think you sound fine, like a Canadian or American. But I think you should try speaking a slight bit slower and more clearly, and don't run your words together quite so much. You sound like you are in a hurry.

I was in a hurry because my mom barged into my room. I really need to move out, lol.

——-

So I tried studying from Peter Rabbit. The opening was a song which was a pain in the ass. The first subtitles I used were a translation of the song, but the ones which matched the dub didn’t. It makes sense. The cards still have a lot of cosmetic issues. I’ve gotta improve my CSS skills a bit. I’ve been a bit low on motivation since I noticed I was low on sentence cards on anki. So I’m using my energy to find more.
0 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:50 am

I fixed my anki issues. According to anki I study 41 minutes on average if you’re only counting the days I studied. I think that’s a pretty good average.
0 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:59 am

I don’t know how well my Peter Rabbit flashcards work. Or if sentence cards are effective to begin with.
0 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:39 pm

Studying from Peter Rabbit is fairly boring and impractical. If I’m going to be working so intensely on something it might as well be something I enjoy. So I’m going to do some episodes of Shtisel. I still don’t know how much episodes to do. One thing I need to do is figure out how to how to shorten dialogue. One problem I have with sentence cards is that I often memorize them by rote way before I can analyze them. Once I’m reliably able to analyze a word or phrase I move into a stage where I move away from analyzing. What I do is not mark a card as good until no analysis or mental translation is needed to understand it. This has been fairly successful with words, but I don’t know how well it works for sentence cards. I guess for sentence cards I’ll just make sure they’re not too hard so I won’t just rote memorize them. On the plus side the rote memorization makes learning vocabulary faster and easier. But I think my rote problem would be far worse if I started subs2srs from zero. Maybe it will be easier if I simply go through the cards manually to make sure they’re my level. I’ll make sure I have at least 20 approved cards per day. One thing I can try is do a three unknown word limit. I can try this with Peter Rabbit right away. In the meantime I can also figure out how to go about doing Shtisel.
0 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:38 am

I quickly filtered out the overly complicated cards and just studied a bit. I’m still giving my brain quite a bit of a workout! I find a lot of the cards are out of sync. Maybe because dubbing is somewhat out of sync as well. I’ll do some research on how to sync things up better. I’ll probably delete everything from the Peter Rabbit file and start over. I don’t know how helpful this is with all the technical issues. Maybe it helps my listening skills. I’ll continue reviewing my more straightforward premade anki decks. I don’t want to fall behind on studying because of these technical issues.
0 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:05 am

I think I’ll try to manually split up some Kaveret skits into small chunks of words that make sense. It’s pretty hard to smoothly split sentences. Maybe there’s a way to do it more naturally. They’re pretty short, so I should be fine doing it manually. I know I’m posting a lot, but I’m in the brainstorming phase of language learning. I’ll stop posting when I settle into a routine.
0 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:46 am

With the Kaveret skits I realized there’s no English translations available. I could easily find the transcript and look up words in the dictionary, but it makes no sense for me. I guess I’ll have to find some audio in Hebrew that has a transcript and English translation available.
0 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:01 am

Still learning how to use a subtitle editor. I found padding the audio with 250 milliseconds on subs2srs made the audio clips less cut off and weird. At least in the beginning. I’ll check the audio clips I remember being badly out of sync and see if it’s better. I’m also getting an urge to practice Finnish prosody. I’ve been into Finnish music for about eight years, but I’ve never been interested in actually studying it. I’m still not, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I am in the future. I just don’t know of much Finnish media besides music I’d be interested in. I find I have a more vivid mental representation of what Finnish sounds like. Even though I’ve listened to far more spoken Hebrew and for the last year Hebrew music. It seems long term exposure to a language, even if it’s just music makes a difference. I also seem to have an easier time with Finnish vocabulary. I haven’t studied Finnish grammar yet, but I’ve heard it’s hard. If I do end up practicing Finnish prosody I won’t get into studying it more. I’m not really worried about it interfering with Hebrew. I’m just not great at managing time at the moment. I struggled with that when I briefly wanted to dabble in Turkish. I dabbled in Turkish because I was possibly traveling to Turkey and I think Turkish sounds cool. But I had no long-term interest in Turkish culture and the vacation changed to another country. With Finnish I do have more interest in the culture, but I’m still not too interested in putting full effort into learning it.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”