General language log (Hebrew/Turkish/English pronunciation)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
sporedandroid
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (pre-A1), Turkish (pre-A1, aiming for around A1)

General language log (Hebrew/Turkish/English pronunciation)

Postby sporedandroid » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:02 am

Today I did some chorusing with English for the first time. My mother tongue is Spanish, but I’m more comfortable with English. I still kind of find my prosody in English awkward and unexpressive. I had some issues syncing up with it like I do with a lot of chorusing at first. It was also difficult compared to some foreign language stuff because I was chorusing with a talk show instead of a language class.

Later on I decided to try something new with Hebrew. I tried “silent chorusing” as a warmup for regular chorusing. I chose to do a tv show because I wasn’t planning on attempting to speak. I just wanted to listen to some more natural speech repetitively before doing regular chorusing. Eventually I got to a section that seemed fairly easy to pronounce. I actually did fairly well at it. So I reached a new milestone in Hebrew. Now I can do some chorusing with natural speech.
Last edited by sporedandroid on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

DaveAgain
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native), French (intermediate), German (beginner).

Re: General language log

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:17 am

sporedandroid wrote:Today I did some chorusing with English for the first time. My mother tongue is Spanish, but I’m more comfortable with English. I still kind of find my prosody in English awkward and unexpressive. I had some issues syncing up with it like I do with a lot of chorusing at first. It was also difficult compared to some foreign language stuff because I was chorusing with a talk show instead of a language class.
Is there a local drama club you could join? That might be an enjoyable way to work on your spoken english.
1 x

sporedandroid
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (pre-A1), Turkish (pre-A1, aiming for around A1)

Re: General language log

Postby sporedandroid » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:18 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
sporedandroid wrote:Today I did some chorusing with English for the first time. My mother tongue is Spanish, but I’m more comfortable with English. I still kind of find my prosody in English awkward and unexpressive. I had some issues syncing up with it like I do with a lot of chorusing at first. It was also difficult compared to some foreign language stuff because I was chorusing with a talk show instead of a language class.
Is there a local drama club you could join? That might be an enjoyable way to work on your spoken english.

Yeah. There’s improv. I don’t really enjoy most theater. I think also practicing the prosody I practiced in everyday life would help. I should also stop being wordy to make up for not liking my prosody. I often do that hoping it will “drown out my voice”, but I know it doesn’t work that way.
0 x

sporedandroid
White Belt

Re: General language log (Hebrew/Turkish/English pronunciation)

Postby sporedandroid » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:44 pm

I did a bit of English chorusing today. I could match up with it fairly well, but it makes me physically tired and out of breath. I have issues with being out of breath and I don’t really know why. I think that contributes to the weirdness of my voice. Any idea on what to do about that?
0 x

sporedandroid
White Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:11 am

How I sound speaking English. https://vocaroo.com/i/s0eAXEo7gor5
0 x

sporedandroid
White Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:26 pm

Something interesting I noticed is that when I try to just “think Hebrew words” my inner dialogue has an accent. When I try to think some inner dialogue instead my accent disappears. I’ll start learning some more inner dialogue-like phrases and vocabulary. After that I’ll start a simple journal like I had in French immersion. I could express myself in a journal with a fairly limited vocabulary and it was often only one or two phrases with a drawing. I can even learn to write shit about my boss!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”