Expug's 2019 Log - Reasonable Learning

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Re: Expug's 2019 Log - Reasonable Learning

Postby Expugnator » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:59 pm

cjareck wrote:
Expugnator wrote:I'm starting to get the hang of the Hebrew cursive. That will make my life easier.

Since that is my next task, could you explain how you do it?

I'm learning it in a very loose way. I watched the videos from hebrewpod101. It's important to watch videos on how the letters are drawn - I'm sure that's not the only choice.

Then I'm benefitting from Assimil's new edition where the exercises are mostly in cursives. Exposure does the rest. It takes time to get used, though.
=============
Yesterday I had an even more productive evening. I had no classes and I have plenty of time after putting the girls to sleep. I've not been that insane on the gamifying aspect of Clozemaster lately, which helps with working on other fields. So yesterday I read ahead my non-fiction book and then I did Duolingo, this time all four languages. It's really productive now. The app isn't crashing that much, the earlier crown levels are more objective and focused on passivel skills and it's being useful overall. I did Clozemaster Hebrew text input as well. Then I read a bit more from the forum.

i've also got the official TED Android app which allows for double subtitles, though always English + L2 by default. I don't know of anything similar for iOS, not anymore from what I can tell. It was fun watching half a short video in Indonesian, but I'd have enjoyed Portuguese/Indonesian more than English/Indonesian.

This morning I did have a solid headstart. I woke up earlier, the girls slept over and so I could do all the app, text input part at Clozemaster, plus Duolingo Hebrew and Arabic.

It seems the bugs for Romanian and Greek have been fixed. The decks for those languages have been hugely expanded and that's why at one point I had 140% of 'seens' and now it's down at 40%. I'm going to work level-by-level on these languages again.

I've just seen Norwegian using the past for a command to get going, just like Russian, Brazilian Portuguese and Georgian:

Tom Egeland wrote:«Ja, så dro vi, da,» sa Næss.
Jeg fulgte ham ut til bilen og heiste meg opp i førerhuset.

By the way, I'm definitely B2 in Norwegian reading. I could be reading the novel and following the story just fine, like I've done with another one before that. I'm pasting the text on GT because I chose to read (semi-)intensively.

I finished one of the series from the CW Universe, one for which a new season starts in a couple of days literally. That was the one I had been watching in German. That means I'll have to pick one of those 3 that take part of the Georgian pool and watch it in German instead. Moreover, the one I watch in Indonesian also has fewer episodes, and I'll have to take another one from the pool of three. That will leave me watching only three series at once, each in a language (or subs, in the case of Indonesian). Finally I'll be able to catch up with the CW Universe and watch them as they are released. This is not ideal from a practical point of view - always better to watch series you have got in their entirety - but that means I'll get to a point where I'll just be able to pick my favorite, trendy series and watch it in Georgian. And then in German and with Indonesian subs as well. That I'm longing for. The typical American series has 23 episodes and when they're paired within a cartoon universe it can take you a couple of years to catch up, which is what I'm about to do.

Starting to understand more from the Hebrew series. Now the exercise is becoming more productive and less random.

The week was all study days, missing the final series part for the first two days only. Next week will probably have at least 1 day of non-study so I can catch up with side projects.
3 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:50 pm

Expugnator wrote:I've just seen Norwegian using the past for a command to get going, just like Russian, Brazilian Portuguese and Georgian:

Tom Egeland wrote:«Ja, så dro vi, da,» sa Næss.
Jeg fulgte ham ut til bilen og heiste meg opp i førerhuset.

Swedish too has a kind of past-instead-of-present usage, e.g.:
1 Då var det dags (att bege sig...) (possibly most similar to "get going")
2 Vem var i tur?/Vem stod i tur? (or på tur)
3 Då var det din tur.
-----
4 Hej, det var Kalle. (on the phone)
-----
5 Det var snällt av dig (att...)
6 Det här var gott!
7 Vad kallt det var!

All of the above examples express something which is valid rather than was. Some express feelings/opinions (snällt/gott/kallt). A lot of them sound less heavy or definite in the past tense. I can't explain why. + the changed word order help in examples 1 and 3. 4 is neither a feeling nor a "get going" example. Although I wouldn't say it, I could use something like "Hej, det var jag igen" if I'm calling somebody for the 2nd/3rd time in a short while. But not the 1st time.

Bertil Molde has a chapter about this in Mera svenska idag (ISBN: 9789151831169)

See also:
http://www.ordklasser.se/verbets-tempus.php

Sorry for hijacking your log.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani

Postby Expugnator » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:37 pm

It was no hijacking! Always glad to have replies here.

I'm familiar with this usage from Norwegian. What I pointed out this time is how those languages use the past as their "Let's go!" form. Different languages from different backgrounds geared towards the same solution of making the command less direct and yet equally emphatic.

-------------------------------------
The weekend had not much language learning, and I'm proud of that. I managed to actually take some rest, not worrying about time. I went to the Polyglot Meetup on Saturday but none of the people I talk in German to showed up, and I was bored with the English-only mood. On Saturday evening we went out without the kids, my wife's cousin's birthday. On Sunday, a birthday party of a former colleague of my wife, as well as his elder son's. The girls had a great time at the playground.

Well, maybe I said "not much" while having Clozemaster in mind, because I did the usual lot from the other activities. Actually, I increased my Duolingo amount and that granted me a pass into the next league. I got good results for Hebrew and Indonesian. Looking forward to doing Duolingo for more languages. As much as Clozemaster seems more efficient, Duolingo app has improved its performance and besides it's also a matter of repertory and exposure. I see different vocabulary on Duolingo so they complement each other.

I had lost my Speakly streak on Friday. Whenever I have to do it out of routine - next task after I'm done with my daily schedule - I tend to simply forget.

I did the reading ahead part, which is a rather dense book. Then Podcast Italiano both Saturday and Friday for half and hour, all combined. I grabbed more resources for Georgian as well, it seems connection to servers is stable again.

All this came with a price. Yesterday (technicall today) I lost my Clozemaster streak for 17 out of 29 language pairs. I had limited internet during the day as the birthday party took place in the countryside. I took care of Duolingo and Speakly when I came home plus some pending tasks and left Clozemaster for last thing of the day. The problem was that I did a bit at the computer, promised myself to just do the streak-checl and then fell asleep in bed at 10h30. I woke up at 10 past midnight, to my regret.

Regarding my future in Estonian learning, I have the following news:

Bad news: there are fewer Estonian soap opera episodes than I had thought. Only 29 last year. I will run out of new ones sometime next year. So far I had thought it was a typical daily soap opera with at least 100 episodes a year, that would account for my average 200 study days a year, half an episode per day.

Good news: at the new ETV interface I can go especifically for those shows that have subtitles. So, when Õnne 13 is over, I'll still have plenty of Estonian TV with subtitles. No actual series other than Õnne 13, though, only talk shows, varieties.

Great news: Õnne 13 has archives ever since the first episode. I tried it out of curiosity and even without subtitles I can follow way enough to keep watching and have fun! I hope by the time I'm done watching the newer ones I can simply go back to the start. It's great to see how some actors from 2018 looked like in 1993.

Back at the gym this morning. I'm feeling well, really. I took it easy and I'm reacquiring my strength. I have to find an alternative to running on a treadmill, in order to avoid impact on the legs at least before the kidney issue is set. Elliptical bike is fun but not exactly a demanding cardio exercise.

This morning I had a class, a productive one. Only a timid headstart then, as a result, when commuting from there. I left Duolingo pending for the evening, which is always a streak-risky factor. Got here late and had to catch up on an atypically busy Monday (spoiler: I did).

I've come to terms that there are some languages I want to learn to speak, where my speaking ability is lying behind and my approach isn't working: Russian, Estonian, Greek, Mandarin. I need some attack plans for these. The very same issue on how to include output in my routine, the trade offs of taking classes etc. I might open a thread.

I actually got to know about a Russian online school, but I'm not sure it's what I need.

Finished season 01 of Heimebane. Sesong 2 used to be available worldwide, but no longer. Will check for alternatives this evening.

I don't always pay full attention to the Chinese series, but when I do I can usually understand it nearly transparently, both audio and hanzi. A series tends to have less vocabulary than even a translated novel.
4 x

Koneho
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Tagalog (Best) Spanish (Second Best) Mandarin (Clasroom Commands only)

Postby Koneho » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:45 pm

Hi Expug, I have followed your log and I see you occasionally mention DLI - Indonesian. May I ask which version? There appear to be at-least three floating around (not including the jakarta dialect version and the newspaper reader found on ERIC).

DLI Basic

DLI Refresher Course

DLI SOLT

- These are the versions I see on yojik.eu. The refresher course is nice but has no audio (but the formatting is good)

Sorry to hi-jack again, rereading your log I'm glad to see you also enjoy the languagepod101 series.
0 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:40 pm

Koneho wrote:Hi Expug, I have followed your log and I see you occasionally mention DLI - Indonesian. May I ask which version? There appear to be at-least three floating around (not including the jakarta dialect version and the newspaper reader found on ERIC).

DLI Basic

DLI Refresher Course

DLI SOLT

- These are the versions I see on yojik.eu. The refresher course is nice but has no audio (but the formatting is good)

Sorry to hi-jack again, rereading your log I'm glad to see you also enjoy the languagepod101 series.

Hi Koneho, I'm using the Basic one, which is way further than Basic. I'm on lesson 89 out of 96. They're long lessons with vocabulary in several fields of civil life (not only military). Bear in mind I go through this sort of material in a rather loose way, so my actual vocabulary retained would still range in A2 at most. At least it's a more approachable content to the language. The resources for Indonesian, all combined, arent' that learner-friendly and make the language harder to acquire than it was supposed to be.

I don't have access to either SOLT or the remaining ones to be found on ERIC.

I'm about to finish DLI and I'm wondering what to do next. Probably start over from the Tuttle course which I recently bought.

=============================
Yesterday the evening was quite productive language wise. It could have been even more so if I hadn't stayed overtime and then spent some time experimenting with frying ears of corn in the air fryer and then searching for Heimebane sesong 2 (which I found, will resume today). I did quite a bit of Duolingo and I'll use gamification as an impulse for being consistent with all languages at least up to Thursday, as we'll be heading to the countryside on Friday afternoon.

Saturday is Children's Day in Brazil so this morning I went shopping for a music box. I had to constantly explain people that I wanted an actual music box as a gift (caixinha de música) and not tiny speakers - speakers tend to be called caixa de som and not caixa de música, but some people will interpret caixa de músicas as if I meant speakers. I spent over an hour on the process of going there, searching, buying and taking a bus to work so I arrived really late. At least I could have my Duolingo headstart and Clozemaster up to Greek-English. I'll be doing Greek multiple choice from the early levels at the English pair as well. It will help fill in some important gaps.

A productive day for Estonian reading and Greek listening-reading. Neither of them seem a chore anymore, as it happened a year or two ago with Georgian and German and some months ago with Russian. When using native materials don't feel that much like studying anymore, I can feel comfortable to start an opaque language from scratch, if time allows me to do so. It means there's more mental energy available, as I'm not struggling to follow those items of native material.

So I managed all the tasks again but it was close. Let's see what tomorrow and Thursday reserve.
2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:18 pm

Yesterday I walked for over an hour; 25 minutes in the morning as usual, then 30 minutes plus 35 minutes in the evening. I had a class and I went there by feet, not cycling or driving or by bus. I got home at over 9 pm instead of 8h40 as in the previous week.

This morning I had a visit to the doctor and then to the insurance for authorization. The procedure will be next Wednesday. I spent over three hours on this and so I might not make it for today.

I finished the good novel Die Vermessung der Welt. I wasn't expecting it to end by now, hadn't been paying attention to the page count. I was determined to continue with A Series of Unfortunate Events. Turns out I don't have them readily accessible in German, only audiobook. So that will be, audio in L2 and text in L1. My German level allows for that. I'll hope it's not abridged and I'll keep it at normal speed instead of 20% faster. I'll stick to 6 pages from the A4 pdf of the translation, around 10 minutes of audio. The problem is that I'm on audio-only mode for the German series as well. Anyway, I might end up adding non-fiction in German to the game.

I couldn't make up for three hours of delay so I ended up right before starting DLI Indonesian. I hope I can still finish this resource before the end of the month.
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:16 pm

Expugnator wrote: I went there by feet,

I went there on foot,
2 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Ezra
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C1),
In use: French, Spanish, Latin, Classical Hebrew
Studying: Classical Chinese, Italian, German, Japanese, Ancient Greek
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8792

Postby Ezra » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:20 pm

rdearman wrote:

I went there on foot,

Which is quite illogical as using one leg would be not as much going as jumping :).
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:27 pm

Ezra wrote:
rdearman wrote:

I went there on foot,

Which is quite illogical as using one leg would be not as much going as jumping :).

True, but human languages are nothing if not illogical. :)
4 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:54 pm

Oh wow that's probably interference from a newer language :oops:
Was it Italian 'a piedi'?
Thank you guys
-----------------------
I've definitely cooled down on Clozemaster, all while trying to warm up Duolingo a bit. Yesterday I worked on a 5th language for Duolingo, which is Norwegian. There have been so many updates since I finished the tree that there's enough now to make it feel like a new course. I've also read ahead for non-fiction. I had an online class and I put the girls to sleep before that, so there wasn't much time left.

This morning I went to the bike at the gym so I could do some Clozemaster. Since I got home and got busy with the girls, that headstart came in handy. I went as far as Clozemaster Russian as well as Duolingo Guarani. All I want today is to be able to finish my schedule and still have some minutes left for making some plans for next week, which might as well consist of just Monday and Tuesday of full studies.

Started doing Guarani as text input on Clozemaster. The deck is so short that I've probably just memorized the answers, but at least I get to train typing. Swyping works fairly well on Android.

I finished my tasks nearly an hour before due time, but then I just went for some Duolingo and Clozemaster. Tomorrow is a non-study day.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”