Bex Spanish log 2019: a definitive guide on the slowest way to learn Spanish ever!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
iguanamon
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Bex Spanish log 2019: a definitive guide on the slowest way to learn Spanish ever!

Postby iguanamon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:36 pm

Bex wrote:I often wonder if there are points in reading comprehension where you suddenly turn a corner, like points where you realise it's getting a bit easier or enjoyable say 500 pages, then 1000 pages, then 3,500 pages etc. I don't have enough reading experience to answer that question yet, but maybe one day...who knows?

There are indeed turning points. It's about achieving "critical mass". Vocabulary repeats when reading a series of books by one author. This repetition begins to have a positive effect and reading does get easier as a result. The problem with beginning to read in L2 is that it is so frustrating at first because the learner has to build their vocabulary. Their are many ways to do this- build vocabulary first out of context with SRS; 10,000 sentences method; intensive reading; extensive reading and guessing; a combination of both intensive and extensive reading; parallel texts- a method where a reader (using faithful human generated translations) can glance to one side and confirm guesses or see meaning.

After going through a series of books by one author, then moving to a new author often means a new getting used to a new writing voice with new vocabulary. The thing is that after having gotten to the turning point already by reading that series, the wheel does not have to be re-invented. It's not as difficult. The base is there now and the turning point now comes within that new book by the new author. Of course, with people who flat out don't like to read, then it becomes more difficult but still doable as long as they find something, anything, they may like in order to keep the momentum going. Keeping the momentum going is critical. Reading is one of the best ways for a learner to build vocabulary and gain an inner voice of grammar that says "this doesn't seem right to me".
AndyMeg wrote:...I really like to start with comics/mangas because the images provide extra context that is harder to find in only-text formats.

Comics, for some reason, are somewhat overlooked nowadays on the forum. It was emk (also Chung) whom I credit with giving me permission to learn with comics. He used them quite a bit in his French-learning journey. I have read many comics/graphic novels in both Spanish and Portuguese- translations and originals. The speech is more colloquial and contemporary. The images are an extra aid for the learner to figure things out. Comics are almost like a cross between reading and television. They're also a fun way to learn.

Well done, Bex!
12 x

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Re: Bex Spanish log 2019: a definitive guide on the slowest way to learn Spanish ever!

Postby Bex » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:35 am

I started reading back in March and I finally finished reading Harry Potter 4 today....all 640 pages!!

:D
11 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Upper-Beginner?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15829

Postby AndyMeg » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:09 pm

Bex wrote:I started reading back in March and I finally finished reading Harry Potter 4 today....all 640 pages!!

:D

Congratulations!!! :D
3 x

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:05 am

Not a bad week..

168 pages read
2 hours 20 mins listening

Seems my summer dip may have resolved itself, maybe it was just too hot :lol:

Hoping to finish this Harry Potter book before Xmas and then spend some setting a new plan in place for the new year...gives me plenty of time to decide what I'd like to work on next.

I'd really like to try and push to do something I am finding really difficult again (like reading in this SC) because I know now that the only way to get better at something is to just do it a lot!
9 x
Kwiziq

Cavesa
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Czech (N), English (C1), French (C2), Spanish (intermediate), German (somewhere on the path), Italian (passive advanced, active basic)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:51 am

I'd like to second Iguanamon's comment on getting used to new authors, series, new books within one series, new genres, etc. Yes, we feel a bit as we lost our abilities, when we start something new. But the process of getting used to new and more different stuff gets faster and faster every time, it is very encouraging to observe this. In case of serious need of an ego boost, I recommend picking a new but easier book/author/genre. :-)

About the turning points:
I usually encounter the first one after a few dozen pages. It looks like it's early, doesn't it? Well, it is just the border between "it is so uncomfortable" and "yes, I can somehow get through this".
Then there are a few variable ones.
And the most important one, the "hey, I didn't even realise this was another language" point comes somewhere between 10000 and 12000 pages to me.

I think 10000 pages are an amount of reading that is bound to move any learner a lot forward, even though I don't dare to generalise that everybody will be a C2 reader by then. It is a beautiful number and a very useful goal :-)
7 x

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:26 pm

Thanks Cavesa those numbers are really useful. Unfortunately my turning point of 'I can get through this' wasn't after 12 pages...it was more like 4000 :(
Cavesa wrote:I think 10000 pages are an amount of reading that is bound to move any learner a lot forward, even though I don't dare to generalise that everybody will be a C2 reader by then. It is a beautiful number and a very useful goal :-)

I'll be at 5000 by the end of this Super Challenge, so I'm nearly half way and if I complete the next SC then I will reach that beautiful number :D

I often wonder what level I would be after 10,000 pages of reading and 1,000 hours of listening?

Edited: tinkering
6 x
Kwiziq

Cavesa
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Czech (N), English (C1), French (C2), Spanish (intermediate), German (somewhere on the path), Italian (passive advanced, active basic)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:27 pm

Bex wrote:Thanks Cavesa those numbers are really useful. Unfortunately my turning point of 'I can get through this' wasn't after 12 pages...it was more like 4000 :(
Cavesa wrote:I think 10000 pages are an amount of reading that is bound to move any learner a lot forward, even though I don't dare to generalise that everybody will be a C2 reader by then. It is a beautiful number and a very useful goal :-)

I'll be at 5000 by the end of this Super Challenge, so I'm nearly half way and if I complete the next SC then I will reach that beautiful number :D

I often wonder what level I would be after 10,000 pages of reading and 1,000 hours of listening?

Edited: tinkering

You're welcome.
Yes, you will get to that beautiful number! And 1000 hours of listening, that is very ambitious! I listened to just 250-300 hours between my B2 and C2 French, much more since. But apart from being awesome for your language skills, it will be a wonderful excuse to binge watch fun series :-D
3 x

ShawnP
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B-2), German (A-0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3123

Postby ShawnP » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:23 pm

Bex,

I see you're reading the Harry Potter series. Has it gotten any easier from the first book to book 4 or 5 that you're on? Also, where do you get the audio?? Maybe I've overlooked it somewhere. I'm on book 1 right now. Best of luck in Spain. I'm envious.
1 x
: 00 / 30 Pimsleur German 1
: 00 / 100 Book2 English-German
: 00 / 125 Assimil German w/o Toil
: 00 / 50000 German Anki Reps

Cenwalh
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (acquiring), Catalan (beginner).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12467

Postby Cenwalh » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:34 pm

ShawnP wrote:Bex,

I see you're reading the Harry Potter series. Has it gotten any easier from the first book to book 4 or 5 that you're on? Also, where do you get the audio?? Maybe I've overlooked it somewhere. I'm on book 1 right now. Best of luck in Spain. I'm envious.

There exists European Spanish audio for the first book out there on the internet, and all the books are or will be on Audible read by a narrator from Puerto Rico
Last edited by Cenwalh on Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
1,000,000 sentences of Spanish: 725000 / 1000000
Double SC films: 156 / 200
Double SC books: 54 / 200

kennyaa
White Belt
Languages: • N: English
• B1: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7970

Postby kennyaa » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:09 pm

Yeah Audible seem to be in the process of re-recording the whole series at the moment, think the first 5 are released with the other available for preorder with 2020 releases. I listened to the first 2 recently and they were good quality.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”