Bex Spanish log 2019: a definitive guide on the slowest way to learn Spanish ever!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: Bex Spanish log 2019: a definitive guide on the slowest way to learn Spanish ever!

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:26 am

Bex wrote:The Netflix/YouTube thing I'm struggling to get straight in my head, I really enjoy watching celebrity chatshows/interview type programs... it's like my equivalent of eating junk food :D

I know of one or two Spanish chatshows that I can stream old episodes of on their channels app, but I'm not sure if they have subtitles or not. Does that matter? I start questioning if binge watching this type of TV would help?

When iguanamon mentioned that it was a good idea to watch a lot of the same thing it makes me wonder why, I suspect it's just easier like staying with the same author when reading, same style, vocabulary etc. But I wonder if it actually matters what you watch? Does it need to be easy? Should you use subtitles/transcripts? Or if it just matters that you find something so you can watch/listen A LOT?

Maybe I should just tackle it like I did the reading in the SC...set a high target and just force myself to reach it however I can?
If you like watching chatshows, watch chatshows. :)

The only way you're going to be able to watch a lot of spanish telly is if you like what you're watching, you'll just tune out watching things that don't interest you.
3 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Bex Spanish log 2019: a definitive guide on the slowest way to learn Spanish ever!

Postby iguanamon » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Bex wrote:...The Netflix/YouTube thing I'm struggling to get straight in my head, I really enjoy watching celebrity chatshows/interview type programs... it's like my equivalent of eating junk food :D
I know of one or two Spanish chatshows that I can stream old episodes of on their channels app, but I'm not sure if they have subtitles or not. Does that matter? I start questioning if binge watching this type of TV would help?
When iguanamon mentioned that it was a good idea to watch a lot of the same thing it makes me wonder why, I suspect it's just easier like staying with the same author when reading, same style, vocabulary etc. But I wonder if it actually matters what you watch? Does it need to be easy? Should you use subtitles/transcripts? Or if it just matters that you find something so you can watch/listen A LOT?
I hate not knowing what I'm doing, I've hated this aspect of my learning journey for a long time. I'm a very organised and practical person, if I say I'm going to do something I do it. But I do overthink things and Spanish is the first thing in my life I haven't just been able to plan and then do.
Maybe I should just tackle it like I did the reading in the SC...set a high target and just force myself to reach it however I can?

You're not alone. A lot of first-time language-learners don't know how to go about learning on their own without "structure". You're right, watching a lot of the same thing is akin to getting habituated to reading by reading a series by the the same author. You become used to the accents and the actors' voices. Episodes of a series also have repetition within them- situations repeat, charcters' reactions repeat,vocabulary repeats- not exactly, but enough so that you'll know what's going on.

In language-learning, just like in life, sometimes we have to do things we wouldn't ordinarily do if we had our choice. So, you would choose to watch celebrity chat shows. I'm sure something like the Graham Norton show equivalent exists in Spanish, but here's the rub- I think it's too "random". The only repeating character is the host. In my opinion, you'll have to work your way up to chat shows. The format of these shows doesn't give you a chance to take advantage of the inherent repetition in a series. You won't get a chance to get used to voices and accents. The topics in a chat show are random- one celebrity may talk about the time they were thrown out of a nightclub in Biarritz and the next one may talk about the challenges of her latest film and another one may talk about their meeting with another celebrity. The vocabulary and topics will be varied but this works against what you are trying to achieve. As I said, you have to work your way up to this type of show.

Once you work through a series with around 75-100 episodes, you will be more able to watch and listen to other content more easily. An analogy would be to children who want to ride a mountain bike before they have ridden around the block on training wheels. Yes, we're adults, but when we're learning a second language we are somewhat akin to children in that we often want to do more than we're capable of doing (which is especially tough because we can already do this in our native languages) and we don't want to do what we may need to do to get there. I've seen this many times on the forum where people try to bite off way more than they can chew and end up frustrated and set back in their learning.

I'm not saying to watch (or read) material that you despise. What I suggest is that you choose a series, preferably with accurate Spanish subs or a dub of a series with which you may be familiar. Doing this, you will naturally be exposed to more vocabulary and grammar. Your listening and comprehension will improve over the course of the series. Random video browsing is akin to a hummingbird flitting between flowers. You won't stay in one place long enough to get a chance to utilize all the advantages a series can offer you in the context of language-learning. Just like Harry Potter has put you on the path to reading, choosing a series that you like (or one that doesn't annoy you too much) will do the same thing for you- plus the visual clues will be there to help you figure out unknowns- which you don't get with just reading text.

As far as what you use to help with a series: I find having a transcript (you can make your own with subtitles.org) and accurate L2 subtitles help. There are various ways to use them. If you are watching a dubbed series, you can make your own parallel text... or read the English and then the Spanish then watch the episode, or watch first then read, or watch- then read- then watch again. You can transcribe. Take notes. Check your notes or transcription against the transcript (answer key). You can read episode synopses on line as a check of your comprehension. There are a bunch of ways to mix it up.

Personally, I wouldn't watch with English subtitles. I'm not saying don't use them at all. I find them useful after having reached a higher level for how to phrase things in TL. At your level, I think you would focus too much on the English subs and you are trying to gain comprehension of the Spanish. You can use the English subs to go back (rewind) and make sure you understood what was going n in a scene or dialog, but use them sparingly to check yourself. Later, after reaching a high intermediate level English subtitles will be more useful to you, ala StringerBell.

Watching with accurate Spanish subs can help a lot but, your goal is to ultimately be able to do without them.

Good luck.
8 x

kennyaa
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (B2)

Postby kennyaa » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:51 pm

Yeah if you enjoy watching something without subtitles then that's even better I would say. The problem with watching TV with subtitles is that really I find I'm practising my reading, not really improving my listening comprehension.
1 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:00 am

One technique that I almost always use for this sort of thing may not have been mentioned directly. For audio shows, especially anything pushing my limits, I like to pre-listen to about 10-20 hours in order to get used to the basic show-lect (combined idiolects for that show). I listen to it passively but attentively over the course of maybe 2-4 days, high hour totals, super low effort in order to give myself a boost. I am just getting used to the voices (literally no other expectation), but I never let myself judge how I understand any more advanced program until that initial warmup period has passed. Sometimes it clears the fog 10% (anything helps) sometimes 80% (which is pleasant when it happens), depending on how I am feeling and where I am in the journey. Another way of saying it perhaps is that I learn to appreciate listening with different ideas in mind and am very mindful of knowing what I am after and how to let it happen without feeling frustration or doing too much bushwhacking. I adjust my expectations to match my perception of reality. I prefer a quick few boost days rather than letting the warmup period drag on for a week or several and not really knowing. More hours = same pictures, clearer audio.
6 x

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:49 pm

Ok so binge watching for long periods = good idea. Thanks coldrainwater for the suggestion of a major binge at the beginning that sounds like a brilliant idea that I hadn't considered.

Throwing out my thoughts out there again... I have to concede and I definitely agree with iguanamon and his evaluation of me attempting to tackle too difficult material straight away... I will need to 'work up to' chatshows, but that's OK it gives me something to work towards.

I'm not sure if I should maybe start with quite easy material, a bit like starting with a graded reader, maybe first with a preschool cartoon (Peppa pig), then a kids cartoon (Simpsons/Avatar), then a teenagers show and so on.

I don't really like re-watching or using subtitles very much, as it interrupts flow, this graded approach would make sure I don't watch things that are too difficult and may be a way for me to get around around re-watching or looking stuff up too often.

If this isn't a terrible idea, I have no idea how much I would I need at each level? Say 50 hours of Peppa pig and then 50 of Simpsons or maybe 100 of each? Or should I just dive straight into a long running dubbed show such as Friends because kids cartoons are too easy?
4 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:42 pm

If you can tolerate ambiguity, I would dive right into a show like Friends and just skip Peppa Pig. You might not understand much at first, but who cares, it’s just Friends! I promise after 25 hours you will feel a big difference. Then keep watching! I did 300+ hours of ER and it made a huge difference with my French.
3 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:54 pm

Lawyer&Mom wrote:If you can tolerate ambiguity, I would dive right into a show like Friends and just skip Peppa Pig. You might not understand much at first, but who cares, it’s just Friends! I promise after 25 hours you will feel a big difference. Then keep watching! I did 300+ hours of ER and it made a huge difference with my French.
That's what I thought, I think I can cope with the ambiguity and I'll probably get bored of Peppa pig pretty quickly...300+ hours of 1 show :? :o :shock:
2 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:06 pm

Let's look at some of the language in Friends. I downloaded subtitles in English and Spanish.
Friends S01E01 wrote:English

00:04:07,747 --> 00:04:11,274
I just want to be married again.
00:04:15,455 --> 00:04:19,084
And I just want a million dollars!
00:04:22,729 --> 00:04:26,426
- Rachel?
- Oh, Monica! Thank God!
00:04:26,833 --> 00:04:28,664
I went to your building..
00:04:28,835 --> 00:04:32,601
and a guy with a hammer
said you'd be here, and you are.
00:04:32,772 --> 00:04:36,674
- Can I get you some coffee?
- Decaf.
00:04:37,343 --> 00:04:40,744
Everybody, this is Rachel,
a Lincoln High survivor.
00:04:40,947 --> 00:04:43,541
This is everybody.
Chandler and Phoebe..
00:04:43,716 --> 00:04:45,911
Joey.
Remember my brother, Ross?
00:04:46,119 --> 00:04:47,313
Sure!
00:04:57,230 --> 00:05:01,894
You want to tell us now, or are we
waiting for four wet bridesmaids?
00:03:23,060 --> 00:03:26,310
¡Sólo quiero volver a casarme lo antes posible!
00:03:30,481 --> 00:03:33,693
¡Y yo sólo quiero un millón de dólares!
00:03:34,570 --> 00:03:35,780
¿Rachel?
¡Monica! ¡Gracias a Dios! ¡Por fin te encuentro!
00:03:38,620 --> 00:03:41,950
He pasado por tu casa

pero había un señor con un martillo enorme
que me dijo... que a lo mejor estabas aquí. ¡Y lo estás!
00:03:44,460 --> 00:03:48,000
- ¿Le apetece una taza de café?
- Descafeinado.
00:03:48,610 --> 00:03:52,760
Atención todo el mundo. Esta es Rachel,
una antigua amiga del colegio
00:03:52,760 --> 00:03:55,760
Os presentaré: este es Chandler,
esta es Phoebe...
00:03:55,760 --> 00:03:57,840
...ese es Joey y ...
¿te acuerdas de mi hermano, Ross?
00:03:57,840 --> 00:03:59,140
- ¡Claro!
00:04:08,940 --> 00:04:12,980
¿Lo explicas ya,
o esperamos a que lleguen tus damas de honor?

Does this look like something you can follow in Spanish? Of course, you can. There will be more difficult vocabulary and themes. These subtitles are most likely not exact in Spanish because subtitles for L2 are usually made to accompany the original English and not the L2 dub. Still, they can be useful to gain comprehension before/after watching. Making a parallel text is pretty easy to do and after some experience it won't take 5 minutes to make on your own. It can double as reading.

Whether you should watch a children's show, speaking for myself, I couldn't deal with Peppa Pig in a language in which I already have an intermediate level. In Catalan, I started with "The Wild Kratts/(Los Hermanos Kratt" in Spain) I don't know whether subs are available for these. I could deal with it because it's for older kids had a similar plot for each episode about rescuing animals and being challenged by villains. My best advice on choosing a dubbed series is to watch some of it in English and you'll know whether or not you could follow it in Spanish.

You can always just take the plunge and see how you do. The first episode of anything will be hard. Give it a few episodes before giving up. With a dubbed series you have the crutch of a transcript in both L1 and L2 (though the L2 probably won't be exact) which can help with comprehension and can be used as a check against your comprehension. Like I've said, there are many ways to use these aids- read before in L1; read before in L2; read before in both; don't read before but read after watching; read before and after; transcribe and use as an answer key". Read while listening and watching (pausing to read); etc. For looking up slang in Spanish- tu babel and https://www.wordreference.com/ You can easily find episode synopses in Spanish, I'm sure. At wikipedia, here's the synopsis for the first episode of season 1:
wikipedia español wrote:Rachel, tras haber abandonado el día de su boda a Barry en el altar, decide buscar ayuda en Monica para comenzar a independizarse. Mientras tanto, Ross está destrozado porque Carol, su exesposa lesbiana, se fue de su apartamento y se llevó sus cosas.
¡Suerte!
3 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:09 pm

Bex wrote:
Lawyer&Mom wrote:If you can tolerate ambiguity, I would dive right into a show like Friends and just skip Peppa Pig. You might not understand much at first, but who cares, it’s just Friends! I promise after 25 hours you will feel a big difference. Then keep watching! I did 300+ hours of ER and it made a huge difference with my French.
That's what I thought, I think I can cope with the ambiguity and I'll probably get bored of Peppa pig pretty quickly...300+ hours of 1 show :? :o :shock:

I lied. All of ER is 235 hours and 57 minutes... (But That’s 15 seasons!) You can pick something shorter, but you still want something you can really dive into. A hundred episodes is enough to be in syndication. I’d aim for that.
3 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Cenwalh
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1), Catalan (B2).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12467

Postby Cenwalh » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:01 pm

Bex wrote:

I think you should defo skip Peppa Pig for a few reasons: you're beyond the level at which it's useful, there isn't that much of it, and the dialogue is pretty slow - they just don't say that much. I watched about 10 hours of it when I was a long way below your current level and found it useful, but I don't think it will be for you.

Good luck with whatever you choose! I've just chosen Cuéntame cómo pasó for my first big TV series.
1 x
Double SC films: 200 / 200 (updated 2022-07-28)
Double SC books: 34 / 200 (updated 2022-07-28)

Return to “Language logs”