Michelle's 2019 Log (Spanish, French, Korean, German, Italian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
brokenrecord
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish, French, German, Korean, Italian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 68#p202925

Re: Michelle's 2019 Log (Spanish, French, Korean, German)

Postby brokenrecord » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:04 pm

eido wrote:
brokenrecord wrote:I'm sure a textbook would be useful, but I don't really want to spend any money on Korean resources right now until I'm sure I want to commit to Korean long-term, so I'd rather stick with free resources like HTSK and TTMIK.

He could be referring to the free textbooks on Sejong Hakdang's website, which I believe he'd been using according to his log. You can't download those, but they're completely free. There are also Monash University textbooks floating around (also completely free, and with audio), and I could hook you up with other ones if you're interested. There are a lot of resources out there for Korean, you just have to know where to find them. Check out the Korean resources thread in the Resources sub-forum for more information.

Thanks for the info about that website! I wasn't aware of it before, but it looks like a good resource. I will take a look through what they have there and consider using a beginner textbook. However, I'm a bit hesitant to switch things up too much. Maybe I gave the impression that I was really struggling with HTSK, but just this past week I was thinking about how the part of Korean I was enjoying most was working through the HTSK units. Maybe the fact that I was complaining about all the vocab made it seem otherwise? I really do think part of the issue there was my own perspective of expecting to pick it up as quickly as French or Spanish vocab, which just isn't going to be the case no matter what resource I use. It's also not really necessary for me to memorize all the vocab the second it's introduced, I just felt like I should try to. My goal with Korean right now isn't to be able to hold a conversation; I'm more interested in getting a feel for the language, seeing how the grammar works, how sentences are constructed, and so on, so I can see if it's a language I'm interested in learning to a higher level, and I think HTSK works well for that purpose In any case, I really do like HTSK overall (and I haven't had any difficulty with the grammar concepts sticking so far), so I'm not really looking to replace it, unless someone tells me that all the grammar info is incorrect, or something like that. But again, I will take a look through the textbooks on that site and see if I feel like they'd be more helpful.
0 x

brokenrecord
Orange Belt

Postby brokenrecord » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:53 pm

ロータス wrote:People on Korean subreddit don't like HTSK bc they don't like the order the creator introduces the grammar and some say he explains some beginner grammar in a confusing way but that is only a few people.

Sejong 1 (ENG)
Sejong 2 (ENG)
Sejong 3
http://www.sejonghakdang.org/storage/im ... index.html

Textbooks and KR Workbooks come with audio.

Thank you for the links! I do like how the first book looks, so I may follow your recommendation to work with that and use HTSK as a reference. I'll probably try out both for a week or two and then see what works best for me. I did look at the Korean subreddit for beginners resources when I first decided to start learning Korean, and I think I remember seeing some of those complaints about HTSK, but so far I haven't had those issues. I don't find the way the grammar is introduced confusing (at least not yet, though I haven't gotten very far), and the order works for my purposes.
0 x

brokenrecord
Orange Belt

Postby brokenrecord » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:29 pm

Spanish
-Puerto escondido: chapters 10-12
-Spanish articles: 7 articles
-Isabel: nothing
-Nailed It: Mexico: episodes 5-6
-Velvet: colección: episodes 11-20
-FSI Basic Spanish: unit 24
-Anki: 7/7 days
-GdUdE B1-B2: lessons 105-108
-Practice Makes Perfect Verb Tenses: unit 14
-Duolingo: 293 -> 300 crowns (7/7 days)

French
-Harry Potter et l'ordre du Phénix: chapters 17-22
-French articles: 7 articles
-Buffy the Vampire Slayer: episodes 13-22
-CLE Grammaire Progressive du Français Intermédiaire: unit 26
-FSI French Phonology: unit 6
-Memrise: 7/7 days (1021/5000 items)
-Duolingo: 190 -> 192 crowns (7/7 days)

Korean
-How to Study Korean: part of unit 1.2
-How to Study Korean Unit 1 Memrise: 7/7 days (68/1210 items)
-Talk to Me in Korean: level 1.8-1.10
-Talk to Me in Korean Memrise: 7/7 days (54/171 items)
-Korean from Zero: started lesson 4
-Korean from Zero Memrise: 2/7 days (12/527 items)

German
-Duolingo: 217 -> 218 crowns (3/7 days)
-Deutsch Warum Nicht: lessons 1.1-1.6

Things are finally going back to normal at work, so I was able to get a good amount done this week. I felt very motivated, and I spent basically all my free time with languages, which I should probably ease back from a bit to avoid burning out again. My alternating day schedule has been working pretty well, I think, although I'm not quite used to it yet, and I do have to double check what languages I'm "supposed" to be working on each day. The true test of how well the schedule works will be when I'm not feeling as motivated. I also spent a lot of time this week thinking about my language learning plans (specifically regarding German and Korean), resulting in some changes from last week.

German: I was still feeling bored/tired of Duolingo German this week, and while I didn't really give my reading German articles plan a chance, I realized that there's no point to keep doing Duolingo if it's annoying me. The only reason I haven't wanted to drop it is that I didn't want to put German entirely back on hold. So I looked around at some resources and decided to replace Duolingo with Deutsch: Warum Nicht. This works for me because it doesn't really require much effort, I just sit and listen, so I haven't been finding it frustrating, but it's still refreshing my German knowledge. I started off at the very beginning, which is definitely too basic for me, but it's still been good practice, and if I get bored, I can always skip ahead a bit.

German is still my absolute lowest priority, so I don't have it worked into my schedule, but the rough goal is to do a minimum of two lessons per week (I did a bit more than that this week because I was excited to have something new to do, but I imagine that will diminish with time). So far the lessons have only been around 10-15 minutes, and I should be able to fit in 30 minutes of German per week. If I don't feel motivated enough to fit it in, then that's probably a sign that I need to drop German completely for now. I've also been thinking about reading the 6th Harry Potter book in German after I've finished the 5th one in French. I was already planning on switching to a different book/series for French after I finish HP5, and I think doing more reading really would help my German more than anything else right now. I wouldn't plan on doing a lot of reading each week, maybe only a couple pages even, but I'd want to use it to ease back into German and refresh my passive vocab and grammar knowledge. So that's the current plan! We'll see if I can stick to it. And I'm only dropping Duolingo for German — I still like it for French/Spanish.

Korean: I spent a lot of time thinking about Korean this week. I had been thinking I'd incorporate the Sejong Hakdang books that ロータス and eido mentioned/linked to, but I realized after trying the first lesson that there's just not nearly enough grammar explanation for my liking. The first lesson was on 이에요/예요, and I realized after I finished it that the only reason I was able to complete it was from what I had learned from TTMIK. The only explanation I could find in the textbook was that it's a predicative or interrogative ending attached to a noun, which tbh means very little to me, and even the fact that one's used after nouns ending in a vowel and the other after nouns ending in a consonant is only mentioned in the appendix. I skimmed ahead several chapters, and the lack of explanation seemed to be the case for the whole book (unless I'm missing something?), and the workbook doesn't seem to have much more info. I also kind of hate the website interface you have to use to access the textbook. So I decided that wasn't going to work for me.

I then looked at the Monash University textbooks eido mentioned here/linked to in the resources thread. Those seemed better to me in terms of grammar explanation, but the amount of romanization drove me a little crazy. I don't mind romanization if it's just in parentheses after the word in 한글 along with the English translation, but the textbook would have a dialogue in 한글 on one page and then the next page have the romanization next to the English, and I got annoyed having to jump back and forth to match the 한글 to the English, and I'd like to avoid relying on romanization.

I was starting to get stressed out about finding a Korean textbook to use, which was a little ridiculous and was honestly more due to my general state of mind/stress/anxiety and less about Korean textbooks specifically, but I was very tempted to just give up and go back to what I had been doing because it had been working for me and caused me way less stress. But I started looking through a bunch of Korean logs for ideas, and I found this post by Evita, which mentioned Korean from Zero as a good, free, beginner textbook. So I took a look at it, and it looks perfect for my purposes. There is a good amount of grammar explanation and exercises, and there's no romanization after the 한글 intro at the beginning.

So I'm going to be focusing on Korean from Zero, TTMIK, and slowly working through HTSK as a supplement (since I do still really like it, particularly the practice videos at the end of each lesson). I skipped past the first few lessons of Korean from Zero since they're mostly about phrases/sentences to memorize, which I always struggle with. I hate memorizing set phrases — I want to know how the grammar of a sentence works, because it's always easier for me to remember it if I understand its components. One of the lessons is on numbers, which I do need to learn at some point, of course, but trying to learn them all at once right now is probably too much for me. I'm planning on using the Memrise course to learn those phrases/vocab while I continue with the rest of the book. Lesson 4 is where the actual grammar starts, so that's where I jumped to, and while I've just started it, I really like it so far, so I'm very excited about this new plan.

French: I continue to feel like my comprehension of Buffy has improved slightly. I definitely still miss a good amount, and I'm nowhere near where I am in Spanish (not that I would expect to be), but I feel like I'm understanding close around 60-70% now. I have just under 50 hours of French listening at the moment, for reference. I've also been making an effort to learn more new words per day via Memrise. In the past, my goal was just to add 7 new words per day and do all the reviews, but I realized it would take me until late 2020 to finish the course at that pace (assuming no missed days, which isn't likely). I'm now trying to do 21 new words a day, since that's close to how many new words I learn with Anki for my Spanish deck every day, and it would have me finishing by the end of this year. So far it hasn't been too bad, but I know the reviews will start increasing, so we'll see how well I manage when I get to that point.

Spanish: I ended up doing a lot of listening this week. First, I finished Nailed It: Mexico. Then, I started the second season of Velvet: colección, which was a bit of an adjustment. I forgot how quickly the actors on that show speak, especially in contrast to Nailed It: Mexico, where my comprehension was very high. The first scene, I felt like I could barely understand a single word (and it probably didn't help that I couldn't remember where any of the storylines left off last season). Luckily, after a few scenes, things went back to normal. By the end, I'd say my comprehension was around 80-90%? It was kind of nice to return to a show that I haven't watched since last spring. I remember how difficult it was at times for me to understand the show back then, and there was almost always at least one scene I'd want to rewatch with subtitles. This time around, apart from the very beginning of the first episode, I didn't feel the need to even once. I would still miss words or even entire sentences occasionally, but I'd never finish a scene feeling like I had no idea what it was about. I hit 400 hours of Spanish listening this week, and the difference in my comprehension from last May, when I had around 100-150 hours of listening, is noticeable. It's nice to realize how much progress I've made in less than a year. Anyways, now that I'm done with that, I'm going to go back and finish the third season of Isabel.

I'm also returning to my Estoy vivo translation project! Last December, I translated the first season of the show into English subtitles so I could watch it with my mom when I was home for the holidays since she doesn't speak Spanish (and I didn't see anywhere you could watch the show with English subtitles). The second season of Estoy vivo was released on DVD early in February, so I ordered the DVDs then, and they finally came this past week. Which means I'm going to start translating the season like I did for season 1. I won't be rushing to finish translating the season in a short timeframe this time — my plan is just to do a scene or two whenever I have some spare time. I really love the show, so it's been fun to return to it, and I do think I learn a lot from doing the translating.

I'm obviously using a lot of Memrise courses right now, and I haven't figured out what I'm going to do about the upcoming changes to Memrise yet. The one reason I really like Memrise is that I can use it on my phone during my commute by bus and during downtime at work, which I can't do with Anki. I guess I'll just see what the Decks site looks like when it's released and hope that it works on my phone okay. I guess my other option would be to shell out the $25 or whatever it is for the Anki iPhone app. I do use it enough that it'd probably be worth the cost. Or just deal with only being able to do SRS when I have access to my laptop.
2 x

brokenrecord
Orange Belt

Postby brokenrecord » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:31 pm

ロータス wrote:>Sejong Hakdang books
Ah yes. I keep forgetting that the grammar notes are very lacking for a true beginner which is why people use HTSK/TTMIK as a supplement. I been through so many textbooks that I don't even look at the grammar notes because I already seem them before. Reddit says the first KFZ book is great but the other two fall short but you should be fine if you keep with TTMIK and HTSK.

Yeah, I saw that about the other KFZ books, and I don't think they're available for free like the first one is, anyways. My plan is to finish the first KFZ book, and then at that point, I should have an idea of whether I want to keep going with Korean or not. If I do, then I'd probably be willing to pay for a better textbook/workbook and go from there. The Sejong Hakdang books do like they'd be good practice for when I've gotten past the absolute beginner phase, though!

ロータス wrote:>Upcoming changes to Memrise
Have you checked out Quizlet? Not a (free) SRS but still can be used like Memrise with their 'Learn' mode (have to pay 2? dollars a year for SRS). Christi posted their method of moving Memrise decks to Quizlet. Quizlet has free app and can use offline while adding stuff to your folders/sets.

I used Quizlet back in college a bit for studying, but never for languages and not anytime recently. I didn't realize they even had an app, actually! Thanks for letting me know. I'll take a look at it and see if I like it. I'm kind of just hoping the Decks website will work perfectly on my phone and I won't have to deal with finding something new, though I'm not very optimistic about that being the case.
0 x

brokenrecord
Orange Belt

Postby brokenrecord » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:02 pm

ロータス wrote:
brokenrecord wrote:
ロータス wrote:>Sejong Hakdang books
Ah yes. I keep forgetting that the grammar notes are very lacking for a true beginner which is why people use HTSK/TTMIK as a supplement. I been through so many textbooks that I don't even look at the grammar notes because I already seem them before. Reddit says the first KFZ book is great but the other two fall short but you should be fine if you keep with TTMIK and HTSK.

Yeah, I saw that about the other KFZ books, and I don't think they're available for free like the first one is, anyways. My plan is to finish the first KFZ book, and then at that point, I should have an idea of whether I want to keep going with Korean or not. If I do, then I'd probably be willing to pay for a better textbook/workbook and go from there. The Sejong Hakdang books do like they'd be good practice for when I've gotten past the absolute beginner phase, though!

They are. On the same website as the free first book? Course 2 and 3 plus free audio

Sorry, you're right that the courses are online for free! I should've been more clear. When I looked at the online course for the first book and compared it to the pdf download (which is what I've been working off of), I saw that it was missing the practice exercises (the workbook area section). The sections for courses 2 and 3 also don't have any practice exercises/workbook sections. I'm assuming the actual book copies of the 2nd and 3rd copies do have those workbook sections but they aren't included in what's online, and I really like those sections for practice. Only the first book appears to have a free pdf download, which is what I meant when I said that the 2nd and 3rd books weren't available for free -- I meant the pdfs that include the practice exercises. Unless I'm also mistaken there and they are available somewhere I'm not seeing, which is completely possible! In any case, I'm sure it'll be awhile until I finish the first book, so I'll figure out if I want to continue with the 2nd or 3rd at that point. I could always find ways to practice elsewhere, I suppose.
0 x

brokenrecord
Orange Belt

Postby brokenrecord » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:05 pm

Spanish
-Puerto escondido: chapters 13-15
-Spanish newspapers: 7 articles
-Isabel: episodes 27-30
-FSI Basic Spanish: nothing
-GdUdE B1-B2: lessons 109-116 (finished!)
-Practice Makes Perfect Verb Tenses: nothing
-Duolingo: 300 -> 313 crowns (7/7 days)
-Estoy vivo translations: episode 14

French
-Harry Potter et l'ordre du Phénix: chapters 23-24
-French newspapers: 7 articles
-Buffy the Vampire Slayer: episodes 23-28
-CLE Grammaire Progressive du Français Intermédiaire: unit 27
-FSI French Phonology: nothing
-Memrise: 7/7 days (1170/5000 items)
-Duolingo: 192 -> 197 crowns (7/7 days)

Korean
-How to Study Korean: unit 1.2
-How to Study Korean Unit 1 Memrise: 7/7 days (102/1210 items)
-Talk to Me in Korean: level 1.11-1/13
-Talk to Me in Korean Memrise: 7/7 days (80/171 items)
-Korean from Zero: lessons 4-5
-Korean from Zero Memrise: 7/7 days (100/527 items)

German
-Deutsch Warum Nicht: lessons 1.7-1.13

My schedule is continuing to work for me, and I'm happy with the changes I made to my German and Korean plans last week. My greatest struggle is just having to remind myself of what I'm supposed to be focusing on each day! I may end up shifting the exact days for each language. I always feel like I should be doing Spanish on Mondays, French on Tuesdays, etc., and I'm not sure if that's just because right now I'm doing Spanish on Sundays, French on Mondays, etc. and so I feel like I should be continuing with the same language the next day, or if it really would feel more natural to push it a day. The main reason I'm thinking about shifting things, though, is right now I have Korean on Fridays, and by Friday I'm just so exhausted and ready for a break that I don't really have the attention span to do a lot on Friday night, and Korean requires more focus from me than Spanish or French. I mean, just this past Friday, during the day when I was going through Memrise and learning vocab, I was really motivated and excited to work on KFZ and HTSK when I got home, but then when I was home, I didn't really feel like doing anything except collapsing on my couch and watching TV in English. Regardless, I'm happy with the progress I've been making with this schedule, and it's been working for me otherwise.

Spanish:
I put in a little extra effort with Spanish grammar this week and managed to finish GdUdE B1-B2! I started it last June, so it took me about 9 months to get through it, which is much quicker than the A1-A2 book took me (which was more like 2 years, although that included many months of doing nothing with it at all). I do plan on getting to the C1-C2 book eventually, but I don't feel quite ready for it yet, and besides that, I still have Practice Makes Perfect Verbs and Complete Spanish to finish first, so I'll be shifting my attention to finishing those. I also want to do at least 1 or 2 subjunctive grammar workbooks (the Practice Makes Perfect one and Demystifying the Spanish Subjunctive, which is by the same authors as the Perfecting the Past book I went through last year). I might also want to check out some of the other books by the authors of Perfecting the Past, including the Por vs. Para book and the pronoun book. In any case, I don't expect to be getting to GdUdE C1-C2 this year, but I will eventually.

German:
I've been very happy with dropping Duolingo for Deutsch Warum Nicht this week. I know I said my goal was just 30 minutes or 2 lessons a week, but I've gotten into the habit of listening to 1 lesson each day when I get home from work and I'm tidying up/getting dinner started/etc. It feels like a lot less effort that Duolingo did even though I'm definitely spending more time with it each day than I was with Duolingo. It's a bit more passive, though, which is what I need. It's been a good review so far, and even though I don't think you're expected to be able to understand all the dialogues perfectly right off the bat, with my background in German, I usually do understand everything the first time through, so it's nice to get a little listening practice and then a bit more focused grammar review. We'll see how things change as I get further into the course. I imagine that future lessons will require more focus/effort than I'm currently putting into it.

Korean:
Korean has also been going really well with the changes I've made. I finally feel like I'm starting to make some actual progress and learn a couple things beyond basic vocab/greetings/etc. And with the extra attention I've been giving to reviewing vocab, I feel like some of it is finally sticking better. I found the dictation exercises at the end of HTSK Unit 1.2 much easier than Unit 1.1. I made almost no mistakes, and that was mostly because even if I wasn't 100% sure about what was said, I was able to figure out what was most likely based on remembering the vocab I had learned, which was not something I was able to do after Unit 1.1. It probably also helps that I'm starting to come across the same vocab at different times with the different resources I'm using, so I'm getting more reinforcement with vocab that way. That being said, I'm also trying to cut myself more slack with learning vocab. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, and when I don't pick things up easily and start to struggle, I get really frustrated with myself and want to give up. But I'm trying to remind myself that I'm not a failure if I don't remember all new Korean vocab the very first time I see it. And it's not like I expect that for Spanish or French, either — it's just less frustrating to me with those languages because I have much larger vocabulary bases, so if I forget 1 word out of 2000 (or however many), it's not as frustrating as when I forget 1 of the only 50 words I've been exposed to.
0 x

suko
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish - English - Korean

Postby suko » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:39 pm

I would suggest Prof. Yoon’s Korean Language class on youtube because his videos were what helped me the most when I was a beginner, especially the Integrated Korean Beginning 1 and Beginning 2 playlists, I used them in combination with the books but you honestly don’t need the books at all because he explains everything so well it felt like having an actual teacher lol

Having someone explain things to me out loud made them so much easier to remember, if there was a way you couldn’t use a certain grammar point he’d be like YOU CAN NEVER EVER USE IT LIKE THIS!!!! which made it stick immediately, but if I had read that same rule in a book I would’ve forgotten about it 30 minutes later

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... q2I2PAKdiC
1 x

brokenrecord
Orange Belt

Postby brokenrecord » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:12 pm

suko wrote:I would suggest Prof. Yoon’s Korean Language class on youtube because his videos were what helped me the most when I was a beginner, especially the Integrated Korean Beginning 1 and Beginning 2 playlists, I used them in combination with the books but you honestly don’t need the books at all because he explains everything so well it felt like having an actual teacher lol

Having someone explain things to me out loud made them so much easier to remember, if there was a way you couldn’t use a certain grammar point he’d be like YOU CAN NEVER EVER USE IT LIKE THIS!!!! which made it stick immediately, but if I had read that same rule in a book I would’ve forgotten about it 30 minutes later

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... q2I2PAKdiC

Thanks for the recommendation! However, I really think I have enough resources at the moment, I'm happy with what I'm using, and I don't want to change things up again. My issue really hasn't been with grammar sticking (so far), just with remembering vocabulary, and I'm pretty sure I'd struggle with that no matter what resource I use. I'll keep these videos in mind as a supplement if I do start struggling with any grammar concepts, though, and want additional explanations!
0 x

brokenrecord
Orange Belt

Postby brokenrecord » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Spanish
-Puerto escondido: chapters 16-18 (done!)
-Spanish newspapers: 7 articles
-Isabel: episodes 31-33
-Practice Makes Perfect Verb Tenses: units 15-16
-Practice Makes Perfect Complete Spanish: units 9-10
-Duolingo: 313 -> 331 crowns (7/7 days)
-Estoy vivo translations: started episode 15

French
-Harry Potter et l'ordre du Phénix: chapters 25-26
-French newspapers: 7 articles
-Buffy the Vampire Slayer: episodes 29-31
-CLE Grammaire Progressive du Français Intermédiaire: units 28-31
-Memrise: 7/7 days (1321/5000 items)
-Duolingo: 197 -> 200 crowns (7/7 days)

Korean
-How to Study Korean: units 1.3-1.4
-How to Study Korean Unit 1 Memrise: 7/7 days (165/1210 items)
-Talk to Me in Korean: levels 1.14-1.15
-Talk to Me in Korean Memrise: 7/7 days (118/171 items)
-Korean from Zero: lessons 6-7
-Korean from Zero Memrise: 7/7 days (148/527 items)

German
-Deutsch Warum Nicht: lessons 1.14-1.20

Spanish:
Finished Puerto escondido by María Oruña this week! I liked it a lot. It's a mystery novel that flashes back between the 1940s and present day. It's not the kind of mystery/detective novel where there are a lot of huge, shocking plot twists or anything like that, it's more focused on the characters and their development. There are two more books in the series, and I plan on reading them at some point, but I think I'm going to change things up and go back to the YA fantasy series by Iria G. Parente and Selene M. Pascual that I read the first two books of last fall.

I'm still slowly progressing through Isabel, but I'm just not that interested in the plot anymore. I'm only like 6 episodes from being done with it, though, so I feel like I might as well finish it (I realize I'm operating under the sunk cost fallacy, but it'll bug me to know I was so close to finishing it and didn't if I stop here). I'm hoping to gather enough motivation to power through the rest of it this week. It's not like I hate it or anything, I'm just kind of bored. The one fun thing this season at least has been that I keep noticing actors from all the other Spanish shows I've watched. There were some in the first and second season as well, but I swear in the third season, there've been so many, including La casa de papel, Velvet, Gran hotel, Estoy vivo, and El tiempo entre costuras. That brings me a little enjoyment, at least.

Korean:
So this week I decided to start watching the kdrama 로맨스는 별책부록 (Romance is a Bonus Book) on Netflix. I'm not really doing it for language-learning purposes, at least not for the time being? I'm nowhere near being able to understand something as advanced as a kdrama at the moment (I know there are people who can dive into native content straight away, but I can't/don't want to). However, a friend recommended it to me as something I might like, and I had been kind of wanting to find a kdrama to get sucked into. I mentioned at the start of my old log that one of the things that really pushed me when I was learning Spanish was that I started watching Gran hotel and became obsessed with it, and then Netflix took the show down when I was in the middle of watching it for the first time (with English subs), and I was stuck with having to order the DVDs from Spain, which only had Spanish subs. This pushed me into using Spanish subs before I probably would've thought I was ready, and then after that, I had a Spanish show I was already familiar with that I could use to work on my listening because I wasn't worried about missing details.

While I'm nowhere near ready for any of that with Korean, I had kind of wanted to find a Korean show I liked that I could watch now with English subs and then, far, far in the future, use for working on listening comprehension. I'm roughly halfway through the episodes that are on Netflix (I think there are around 3 left to be added as they air in Korea), and I just think the show is really adorable. It can be a bit cheesy and silly at times, and it's fairly predictable, but I really like the characters a lot, and it's been really fun to watch. Even though I'm not really using it for learning purposes, I have been trying to listen closely to see if there are any words I can pick out, and I am able to pick out words I know every once in a while. In many cases, it's because I'll see that the English subtitle has the word "tea," in it, for example, and then I'll be expecting to hear 차 so it'll be easier to pick out. But I did recognize that the main male character was calling the main female character 누나 despite the subtitles translating that to her name, so I have been able to hear some things on my own without needing to rely on the subtitles. Very, very few things, but still, better than I would've been able to manage two months ago, that's for sure!

French:
Still just doing what I've been doing with French. I'm only a couple episodes away from finishing Buffy season 2. I'm not planning on watching the entire show. My plan right now is to stop after season 5. Seasons 6 and 7 are my least favorite seasons (there are a couple episodes of season 6 I really like, but they're not enough to sit through the entire season for me), and by the end of season 5, I should be hitting around 100 hours of listening, so that feels like a good point to move on and maybe try some native content.
2 x

brokenrecord
Orange Belt

Postby brokenrecord » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:51 pm

Spanish
-Ladrones de libertad: chapters 1-4
-Spanish newspapers: 5 articles
-Isabel: episode 34
-Practice Makes Perfect Verb Tenses: units 17-18
-Practice Makes Perfect Complete Spanish: unit 11
-Duolingo: 331 -> 340 crowns (7/7 days)
-Estoy vivo translations: nothing

French
-Harry Potter et l'ordre du Phénix: nothing
-French newspapers: 6 articles
-Buffy the Vampire Slayer: nothing
-CLE Grammaire Progressive du Français Intermédiaire: started unit 32
-Memrise: 6/7 days (1449/5000 items)
-Duolingo: 200 -> 204 crowns (6/7 days)

Korean
-How to Study Korean: started unit 1.5
-How to Study Korean Unit 1 Memrise: 6/7 days (212/1210 items)
-Talk to Me in Korean: levels 1.16-1.17
-Talk to Me in Korean Memrise: 6/7 days (128/171 items)
-Korean from Zero: lesson 8
-Korean from Zero Memrise: 6/7 days (213/527 items)

German
-Deutsch Warum Nicht: lessons 1.21-1.23

I was in a bit of a weird mood this week and didn't have a lot of energy for language learning, and the combination of that and falling into a spiral of binge-watching kdramas resulted in me not getting a huge amount done.

Korean:
I finished all the available episodes of 로맨스는 별책부록 (Romance Is a Bonus Book) early last week (all but the last two, one of which was posted yesterday and the other should be posted today, I believe). I continued to enjoy the show a lot, and when I got through the episodes, I was in the mood for something similar, so I started 이번 생은 처음이라 (Because This Is My First Life) on viki which I absolutely loved. It's a romantic drama, just like 로맨스는 별책부록, but I ended up liking the main couple even more in 이번 생은 처음이라 (although I don't think I liked the side characters quite as much). It's definitely something I'll want to rewatch in the future, so when I'm further along with Korean, it could be a good show to work with. After making my way through it, I jumped to 힐러 (Healer; also on viki), which I am now 2 episodes away from finishing and am also really enjoying.

I relied on the English subtitles for the shows I watched on viki because obviously I just don't have nearly enough knowledge of Korean vocab or grammar to comprehend full sentences of dialogue. That being said, it was really nice to be able to use viki's learn mode to have both the English and Korean subtitles up at the same time. There were one or two words I remember hearing repeated on 로맨스는 별책부록 but I wasn't 100% sure how they were spelled and didn't bother looking them up, but with the English and Korean subs on viki, I could decipher what they were, and so I did pick up a couple of words that way (things like 그럼 and 그래, both of which are used a lot, but I hadn't come across them yet). I think there are add-ons or things you can do to be able to get two sets of subtitles on at the same time for Netflix as well, so I may try to figure that out if I watch any more kdramas there.

It's also nice that, even though my knowledge of Korean is still incredibly basic, knowing the little that I do has added some understanding to what I've been watching. Like on 이번 생은 처음이라, when 지호 wants to name the cat 우리, it's not indicated in the subtitles what it means, but since I had learned that word already, I was able to understand why she chose that as a name.

I also think watching all these kdramas helped reinforce some vocab that I had been exposed to but hadn't fully stuck in my head yet — for example, 예쁘다. I think part of my struggle with learning vocab (beyond how different English and Korean are from one another, of course) is that I haven't gotten enough reinforcement with it — with French and Spanish, I'm reading so much that I end up seeing the same vocab over and over again in context which helps the words stick, but I can't do that with Korean yet. Because of that, I decided to make a Korean sentence deck for example sentences from HTSK, KFZ, and TTMIK I come across that include vocab or grammar concepts I want a little extra exposure to. They're just Korean on the front and English on the back because the goal is to be able to recognize the words — production isn't really my concern with Korean at the moment. I may abandon this because I often get bored with creating my own decks (I usually end up feeling like I spend too much time making them that could be spent on other things), but we'll see how it goes.

Nothing much to say about my other languages because I did so little with them, but I'm hoping to get back on track this week. I will probably continue watching kdramas (especially since they seem to be exactly the kind of thing I'm in the mood to watch at the moment), but I'm going to try to slow down my pace and distribute my time more equally. And I do really want to finish Isabel already. Hopefully this week!
2 x

Return to “Language logs”