Systematiker Does Everything Different: An Intermittent 2019 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Systematiker Does Everything Different: An Intermittent 2019 Log

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:56 pm

I'm sorry for your losses.

Well, plans are changing all the time. I don't know who said that golden piece of wisdom "God's laughing, when we make plans", but it is certainly true. I wish you the best. And I have no doubts you'll get through all this admirably.
2 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:13 pm

Not precisely an update, but tangentially related.

I was listening to a podcast today in Spanish, where they were talking about game of thrones (admittedly, I read the books but haven’t been able to make it through the show), and one of the hosts had no clue so they were explaining some basic things, and I started thinking about media, and what I like, and why I like it. I find it frustrating that often characters in a series whom I most like, or most identify with, are usually rather quickly developed away in a manner that is in my opinion unrealistic pandering (eg in Diablero) or not there for the duration (eg Herrens Vilje, which I guess, spoiler alert if you know me and watch it and connect the dots, but it’s why I watched the entire first season in like two days and in the following almost two weeks only have watched a couple episodes. It’s still a good story, but it’s not the same).

So I end up conflicted - consuming this much media is great for my languages, and I’m a firm believer in this method (obviously), but even at it’s best I find myself watching things that I think start out great and end at 80%. But then, there’s little that I’m completely pleased with in television in German or English either, so it has more to do with me than what’s on. I guess that’s the niche I live in.

Well enough of that, I’m going to go use the time I have productively.

Edit: Game of Thrones -> Ned Stark -> characters, for those who didn’t see the connection
6 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)

Postby Systematiker » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:51 pm

Life, once again, got interesting. The short version is that we both found out the need for my wife to have surgery, had said surgery, and had the convalescence from the surgery since I’ve posted. This has brought me right up to today, where I’m sitting here while people are packing the majority of my worldly possessions (NB I’d help, but then it won’t be insured) and I won’t see them again for a month.

So as one might imagine, I have neither done much studying, nor anticipate doing much in the coming month. Podcasts while driving I suppose. Really, probably not much even after we get out there, we have to get settled in and I’ve got to get spun up on the new context.

Therefore the current plan is rather a lack of plan. I can chip away at things since I’ve been doing a lot of audio anyway, and I’ve got digital stuff that I will have access to for Farsi and Russian and Afrikaans at least. I also have to find something new to watch in Russian, having finished метод. So I guess it’s not that different?

Comprehensive update coming....sometime... :lol:
7 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:42 pm

How’s my day going? Well, I’ve tried to post this twice already and experienced connectivity issues. And here’s an excerpt of things I’ve had to say today to the people loading my stuff on a truck:

De paso, ya entendí cuando me llamaste un hijo de chinga, pero no me importa. Estas haciendo un buen trabajo y eso me vale. Sigue así, y estamos.

Probably not even 100% correct but I was amused by the reaction I got.

Can I be done moving yet?
3 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:32 pm

Have you told us yet where you are going? I can’t remember. Either way, and no need to disclose if you don’t want to, but good luck, moving is super stressful!
0 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:40 pm

Lawyer&Mom wrote:Have you told us yet where you are going? I can’t remember. Either way, and no need to disclose if you don’t want to, but good luck, moving is super stressful!

Headed to the Tucson, AZ area - after a couple weeks staying with my parents at the beach 8-)
3 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:03 am

One month later almost exactly, I have a new place, new internet, and my stuff here (mostly in its place).

Way less language study than I anticipated, and I didn’t anticipate much. Lots of podcasts in my stronger languages. Watched almost all of Yankee, all of Frontera Verde, and finished Herrens Veje (wow that ended up good).

Haven’t properly started here, so I don’t know what sort of time I’ll have to dedicate to language study. Looks like perhaps more than in Delaware. Life is different here as well, and with small children, even a month makes a difference on how life runs.

More to come, I hope
11 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:54 pm

Ok so I should probably update more often.

I’ve been putting most of my efforts into Persian and Afrikaans. Hard to find a ton of media. I can follow the general gist of جدایی نادر از سیمین but I want to actually watch it a couple times to work with the language.

I’ve watched like 2/3 of Лучше, чем люди but I guess I burned out on watching because I stopped. I watched a couple things dabbling in Arabic (understanding like 10% :lol: I need to focus) and, if anyone remembers my Gallego experiment, O sabor das margaridas which requires all of my attention but I understand just fine.

Podcasts and some reading in the Romance and Germanic languages, but not much. As I cycle back through watching I’m sure I’ll enjoy somethings in most of those, I’m not actively working on any of them but Afrikaans.

I want to work on Russian and Arabic, but I’m not sure I have the bandwidth. And I don’t want to abandon Hebrew, Korean, Ukrainian...well, I’m still not settled, maybe I’ll find a way yet.
5 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:12 am

This is becoming a pattern - post that I have nothing to update really, disappear for about a month, repeat.

Still working Persian and Afrikaans. Still not doing much else (or really much with them). Not going to make my end of year testing goals.

To be honest I’m not really enjoying language learning at the moment - when I do have time, which is rare these days, it’s one of the last things I want to do. This is probably more a symptom of my schedule and being tired, though, because I still like the idea of it, just not the reality.
4 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:57 pm

Systematiker wrote:This is becoming a pattern - post that I have nothing to update really, disappear for about a month, repeat.

Still working Persian and Afrikaans. Still not doing much else (or really much with them). Not going to make my end of year testing goals.

To be honest I’m not really enjoying language learning at the moment - when I do have time, which is rare these days, it’s one of the last things I want to do. This is probably more a symptom of my schedule and being tired, though, because I still like the idea of it, just not the reality.

It's really ok to just *be* in the state of knowing some languages, and not constantly be working on a plan for growth or maintenance.
I'm much more interested to hear how you're doing and what's happening in your life than see a resume of your language activity.
Don't feel like you need to stay away because you're not studying much. We like & miss you.
14 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “Language logs”