Systematiker Does Everything Different: An Intermittent 2019 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Re: Systematiker Does Everything Different: An Intermittent 2019 Log

Postby Expugnator » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:02 pm

Same here. I'm not sure I can take any large projects anymore. Previous languages' words would stick with much less effort than the current ones. I also find it harder to 'label' words in my head and the more I learn new languages, the higher the odds I learn a word that could be phonetically acceptable across several languages, and the harder it is to keep languages apart when building my vocabulary.

I still have a personal goal. A handful of languages will probably make it to the shortlist and any language after that is probably just dabbling/passive skills through language reaping.
4 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

alaart
Green Belt
Languages: DE (N), EN
B1: NL, JP, PT (BR), ZH
A2: KR
A1: ES
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=10867

Postby alaart » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:19 pm

Systematiker wrote:Currently listening to an interview with Ton Koopman - multiple interests at once is the only way I ave time for anything anymore. Also I’ve had too much wine tonight but oh well.

Oh, that's a surprise. He gave a kind of Masterclass in Enschede while I lived in the Netherlands 7 years ago, I attended his lecture and listened to the rehearsal and concert. I was very impressed, he is such dedicated man. Highly recommended.
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:24 am

Well, I’ve set some goals for the next year, also in the polyglot fitness thread; language goals need precision but the wide goal won’t change, the fitness goal will probably have something added (currently just a 5k time and I’m only really trying to cut two minutes off).

So I’m aiming to pass 8 dlpts in 2020, at 2/2 or better (not counting any higher level tests either). I’m due to retake German and Spanish, and I have little to no worries there. I’ve done some GLOSS stuff in Portuguese and French and am super comfortable in in the 2+ lessons (and super stretched in the 3 ones, there shouldn’t be a gap like that but whatever I complained about that already). I’m relatively sure I can do Swedish and Dutch at a 2/ with some brushing up, so I should manage 6/8 by the midpoint of the year.

It’s aiming those last two that is a question. I would really like Persian to be one of them but reality tells me that I won’t be ready before the summer, and if I’m not, I won’t have time to switch and get something else ready. However, it probably has a better chance than most languages that are options. The other one has to depend on what there’s a dlpt for. I think my only viable option is Danish, which I could totally do if the listening part were guaranteed on the topics I listen to in Danish but that’s not likely :lol:

Oh and I did the first lesson of TY Old English as a part of that mini challenge. I had one word I didn’t know before catching it from the translation, otherwise, it was all in my reach.

I don’t have a plan for my other languages. There’s a lot of things that I’d like to do but time and energy being what they are, I’m not sure I should commit to much more learning.
8 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:47 pm

Is there a Danish DLPT? Is it one of the old ones? I gotta tell you, if it's a II or a III, and anything like the Slovenian DLPT, you needn't worry too much.
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)

Postby Systematiker » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:45 am

IronMike wrote:Is there a Danish DLPT? Is it one of the old ones? I gotta tell you, if it's a II or a III, and anything like the Slovenian DLPT, you needn't worry too much.

There is, and it’s actually marked as a “I” (as is Slovenian)

Dutch and Swedish are both a II also. The only III is Romanian (which won’t be an option for me but just FYI)
Last edited by Systematiker on Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:52 pm

And I didn’t check. Next week.

I’ve done some OE, and some receptive stuff, but not much actual work. I am, of course, tempted to reintroduce languages outside of my focus eight...maybe I will, maybe I won’t.

Family in town and the need to work yesterday has meant not much language study; I’ll get back in the swing of things soon as I’ve still got some time before “normal” happens again.
3 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:27 pm

Systematiker wrote:
IronMike wrote:Is there a Danish DLPT? Is it one of the old ones? I gotta tell you, if it's a II or a III, and anything like the Slovenian DLPT, you needn't worry too much.

There is, and it’s actually marked as a “I” (as is Slovenian)

Dutch and Swedish are both a II also. The only III is Romanian (which won’t be an option for me but just FYI)

That’s why it looked funny, that was the edit button and not the quote button.

Ok well now this is in the right place in the thread at least. My original response was basically just “oh no I have to check”
1 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:02 pm

Well, January was a long year.

In the next six weeks I have dlpts scheduled for Spanish, German, Portuguese, and Dutch. I’ll actually not get both listening versions of Portuguese done in this quarter, but I’ll do the one I miss along with French, Swedish, and Danish in the April-June time frame.

That gives me the rest of the year to retest anything I need to, and to work up another language (probably Farsi, might try something else as well depending on time). This also gives me the time to experiment with a couple for-the-hell-of-it tests where I think I can do decent without actually studying the language (Italian, Norwegian, and at least the listening of Yiddish, for a start).

I decided to do Dutch before Swedish or Danish, despite being stronger in the latter two, for two reasons: one, time to retest, and two, binging De Bende van Jan De Lichte while I was traveling a couple weeks ago :lol:

I’m going to modify my fitness goals as well - keeping the 5k time, but I’d like to add on the goal of being able to hike 6 miles while carrying 60lbs in 80 minutes or less (I’m probably close, I did it at an easy mellow walk in 100 minutes Friday). I’m enjoying the marriage of fitness and language learning, especially since it’s often the only time I can dedicate to listening.

My plan also seems to allow me space to roam and dabble a bit...which I can’t do without. 8-)
8 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:08 am

Systematiker wrote:This also gives me the time to experiment with a couple for-the-hell-of-it tests where I think I can do decent without actually studying the language (Italian, Norwegian, and at least the listening of Yiddish, for a start).

Wow! They have a Yiddish one still? What is it, a DLPT I? II?
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:18 pm

Systematiker wrote:Well, January was a long year.

Accurate.
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Language logs”