Anno nuovo, log nuovo (2019)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Re: Anno nuovo, log nuovo (2019)

Postby Tristano » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:55 pm

Reading the post about learning a language only through speaking has deleterious effects on me.
So I decided to slow down my already slow study of Greek and try to learn to speak a language through mainly speaking... or better, repeating what the natives say. And reading random articles. And test myself at the end. (Though don't hold your breath, the probability I finish a project are extremely low. You should know it by now)

In order to succeed I need a language that is transparent enough for me, so something related to a language I already speak and or that I already studied it and can partially understand but not speak yet.

Romanian, German, afrikaans and Portuguese are perfect options for me.
But I don't plan to go to south Africa any time soon. Actually I'm going to Germany very soon which makes the choice easy (= everything except German, it would actually be useful so bad idea). Today I had fun with Romanian, but seriously speaking, I should fill my head with German before going to Germany. And I don't need to use italki to test myself ;)
I just hope my brain stops decorating "eu scriu o scrisoare" (not sure about the spelling, let alone the grammar).

I drive a lot for work. 50languages will be the tool. And lot of repetition. Only two weeks of time for 100 lessons.
2 x

StringerBell
Blue Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian: ~ C1 reading/listening and ? speaking
Polish : on hiatus
Latin: beginner

Postby StringerBell » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:43 am

Have you already considered Pimsleur as a way to learn through only speaking? Since you have a lot of time in the car, it seems ideal. Maybe your local library system has it?

Tristano wrote:I just hope my brain stops decorating "eu scriu o scrisoare"

BTW, I'm very curious about what this means!
0 x
Italian goal: transcribe 10 episodes of Lucifer : 2 / 10

Tristano
Blue Belt
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff

Postby Tristano » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:07 am

Declaring. Nor decorating. Lol
It means "I write a letter".
I can't use Pimsleur because it is too slow and also because I already used it for German (same with Michel Thomas). Plus it is too less material.
1 x

Tristano
Blue Belt

Postby Tristano » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:39 pm

Did today lessons 1 to 30 of 50 languages German (also known as book 2).

Tomorrow I'll do 15 to 45, Monday 30 to 60 etc.

German is easy for me in this moment, with some previous study and knowledge of Dutch. That's how I process so much so fast. I still have to do lot of repetition, and I'll lose it as fast as I progressed if I won't keep practising. Reading extensively for an extended period of time would have a much more long lasting and deep effect.

If I succeed with this experiment I can adapt it to different languages. My Romanian, Hebrew, Bulgarian and Greek are suffering. With Spanish and French it would be a good refresh. Maybe using Dutch instead of Italian as a base. All if I can handle the boredom - it is dry.
1 x

Tristano
Blue Belt

Postby Tristano » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:05 pm

Until now it is a walk in the park. Except that sometimes I give the right answer but my tongue starts bleeding because of the many schwscjwschwig, a problem that sometimes I still have with Dutch (pronouncing something like "hoofdweg" is still very difficult for me). The method does a very good job into simultaneously teaching the structure of the language and introducing formal situations and business transactions that are very useful food tourists travelling to the country. The downside is: it's BORING. and in the 50+ languages they don't have Icelandic grrrrrr
1 x

Return to “Language logs”