Polski & Italiano (+ Latin) Episode II: StringerBell Strikes Back

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
IronMike
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Current: Italian (1L/2R on DLPT IV in 2019)
Maintaining: Russian (2+L/2+R on DLPT5 & 2+S on OPI in 2019) and Esperanto (C1 on the KER skriba exam, 2017)
Lapsed: BCS (2S/3L/2+R once upon a time...not that now!)
Future: Old English; Fijian.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Polski & Italiano (+ Latin) Episode II: StringerBell Strikes Back

Postby IronMike » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:31 pm

StringerBell wrote:
IronMike wrote:Oh my crap (as DD #1 would say), I love edX and had no idea they had an Italian course. Signed up! Grazie mille!

I'd love to hear what you think of it!

I was thrown on this exercise. Ended up getting it right, but the system still told me I got it wrong.

Did this happen to you much?
1 x
Books 4 sale here. (Admin ok'd)

SC EO films : 40 / 50
SC EO books : 26 / 50
SC RU films : 6 / 50
SC RU books : 7 / 50
SC IT films : 5 / 25
SC IT books : 0 / 25
365 Challenge : 203 / 365

StringerBell
Blue Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian: ~ C1 reading/listening and ? speaking
Polish : on hiatus
Latin: beginner

Postby StringerBell » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:02 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I had been thinking about doing that as part of the Peppa Pig Project. I thought it would be a nice collaborative effort and make Peppa Pig even more useful for learning languages. I found even just having transcriptions of some of the English episodes to be incredibly helpful and I thought it would be a good exercise to transcribe episodes in one’s target languages. And then those transcripts could help other students at an even lower level. Since the episodes are less than five minutes each and the rate of speech is fairly slow, it shouldn’t be too much work for the student to transcribe or for a native to correct.

This is a great idea!

IronMike wrote:Did this happen to you much?

Some of those drag and drops were a little glitchy for me, too. I think I had the same problem you did with the one you showed in the screenshot. Luckily, there aren't many drag&drop activities in the whole course, and I think at most there was only one other one that I had similar problems with.

I did have some issues with the drag&drops being finicky in general and I'd have to keeping dragging them in a slightly different way until they accepted to be in the right spot. I guess you get what you pay for! :lol:

*Also, be sure to do exactly what the directions say (ex: if it specifies to either use or not use punctuation, include or not include the subject, etc) otherwise it will mark all your answers wrong even if they are actually correct.
2 x
Italian goal: transcribe 10 episodes of Lucifer : 3 / 10
Link to the Italian transcripts I created for season 4 Lucifer: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

StringerBell
Blue Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian: ~ C1 reading/listening and ? speaking
Polish : on hiatus
Latin: beginner

Postby StringerBell » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:07 pm

Transcription of Lucifer episode #3: DONE!

This 3rd episode felt noticeably easier than the first two. I'm still making mistakes, but definitely fewer than when I first started. In the first 2 episodes, I was making a lot of general grammatical/spelling errors. I still make some of those mistakes, but now my mistakes tend to be one of two types:

1) I don't use context and just write exactly what I hear but due to the actor slurring/swallowing words, it's not correct and I should have used context.

2) I do use context and write something slightly differently than what I heard, but it turns out that I heard it correctly and the context lead me to write something wrong.

I'm never really sure when to override what I hear and rely on context to figure out exactly what's being said. This is one of the most frustrating parts of this process.

I'm very curious to see if I will be able to make fewer and fewer mistakes with each episode, or if I'll hit a wall sometime soon and stop improving.
7 x
Italian goal: transcribe 10 episodes of Lucifer : 3 / 10
Link to the Italian transcripts I created for season 4 Lucifer: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Return to “Language logs”