Polski & Italiano (+ Latin) Episode II: StringerBell Strikes Back

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Re: 2019 Polish: Jeśli istnieje wola wtedy istnieje sposób.

Postby StringerBell » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:01 pm

Can anyone help? Can not figure this out for the life of me! What is "kogel-mogel"???? It's something that involves eggs, sugar and a glass...

From Dzieci z Bullerbyn:

Chciała, żebyśmy się bawili w kota w butach, lecz Anna wolała, żebyśmy poszli do dziadziusia zrobić kogel-mogel. Więc poszliśmy do dziadziusia. Wzięliśmy ze sobą jajka, cukier i szklanki. Dziadziuś siedział przed kominkiem w fotelu na biegunach i okropnie się ucieszył, gdy przyszliśmy. Usiedliśmy na podłodze przed kominkiem i kręciliśmy kogel-mogel, aż pryskało!
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:15 pm

Kogel mogel is an egg-based homemade dessert popular in Central and Eastern Europe, as well as in Caucasus. It is made from egg yolks, sugar, and flavourings such as honey, vanilla, cocoa or rum.

Did you try googling it?
0 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:20 pm

reineke wrote:Kogel mogel is an egg-based homemade dessert popular in Central and Eastern Europe, as well as in Caucasus. It is made from egg yolks, sugar, and flavourings such as honey, vanilla, cocoa or rum.

Did you try googling it?

I don't use google, so no. I did try looking up using other sources.

What is it, though? raw eggs with sugar? Is is cooked? They are making it on the grandfather's bedroom floor.
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:27 pm

They were mixing it in individual glasses. Raw eggs. Like Rocky.
0 x

Kat
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (advanced), Dutch (intermediate)

Postby Kat » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:59 pm

I was curious and looked it up because Kogel-Mogel sounds vaguely German to me (apparently it's not?) and found this Wikipedia article:
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kogel-mogel

They even have a picture. :geek:
1 x
Transcription challenge: 1. episode of De Ijzeren Eeuw (The Iron Century)
Minutes: 6 / 43

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:09 am

Thanks, Kat! As a nice bonus, I was able to read that descriptive paragraph in Polish fairly easily. I don't know why I have such a hard time believing that it's really just raw egg and sugar, maybe because the idea sounds appalling to me. I'm sure it's probably quite good.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I went through the DLI Polish course I linked in my resources to decide how to incorporate it into my routine and decided against using it at all. As a beginner resource it's not bad; the whole thing is various "graded reader" stories with a list of vocabulary at the end of each story. It's from 1979, so the stories are really dated (a character decides to rent a furnished apartment for 50 złoty/month, or about $13/month).

The main reason I can't use the course is that even when I scrolled to the stories at the end, they are too easy and artificial for me. Had I started out using them much earlier on, I think they could have had value, but at this point they just don't have anything to offer me. Not sure whether to be happy about that or disappointed :?: (I'll go with happy!) I'll leave it on my resource list in case anyone one else is interested, though I'm sure there are links to it elsewhere.

I'm mining a TON of vocabulary from Nowe przygody Mikołaja. I've got to figure out what to do with it all. A few words are starting to repeat, so those might take care of themselves, but others I need to review and practice with a bit. I haven't been able to bring myself back to Anki since early December...I'm terrified of the mountain of reviews waiting for me. Ignoring it some more will make it better, right? ;)
0 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:05 pm

You forgot to add a link to the new Log, and I missed it for a few days. I will have to catch up with it. Today I read only the first post since it is time for sleep already ;)
StringerBell wrote:Question#1: In the show Ultraviolet, a character refers to a guy as "koleś". Is this interchangeable with "człowiek" or "facet"?

Surely not with "człowiek" since "koleś" is a colloquial one. Strongly colloquial. You may exchange it with "facet" but not in every place. And "koleś" seems to be more colloquial than facet.
Widzałem na ulicy jakiegoś kolesia = Widziałem na ulicy jakiegoś faceta (I saw one guy on the street)
Mój facet często kupuje mi kwiaty =/= Mój koleś często kupuje mi kwiaty (My man buys me flowers often)
StringerBell wrote:Question #2: Are the words koleś, człowiek, or facet ever used to describe a woman? I only see them used for men. If these aren't used for women, is there something besides "kobieta" that's used colloquially?

Sometimes "dziewczyna" - "Dziewczyny, chodźmy ..." I am pretty sure my mother used it to my aunts someday or spoke about her mates. They were surely in their late sixties then. So this must not apply to a young girl.
You may also say "laska", but this is strongly colloquial. In my generation, it was used by boys to call the pretty girls. Now it is used to all the women who are not old. I think. But beware - "robić laskę" means a sexual activity which I would like not to describe ;)
1 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:46 pm

cjareck wrote:You forgot to add a link to the new Log, and I missed it for a few days. I will have to catch up with it.

I was wondering when you'd show up! Thanks for the explanations, they are very helpful.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Still plodding along with episode 1 of Ultraviolet. ~5 minutes of the show takes me ~45 minutes with all the writing and whatnot. At this rate, I should be done with the first episode in about 3 more days. I think the plan is to then just watch this first episode once in Polish with subs, then maybe once in Polish without subs. Then I'll tackle episode 2. Writing down all the dialogue makes me interact with it more and it feels like it's worthwhile in this stage because otherwise it's in one ear and out the other. I'm finding that I actually can understand a surprising amount and there are really just some words/phrases here and there to look up.

I finished the first batch of 9 stories of Mikolaj. These are also taking quite a while to get through because I'm looking up every new word, taking notes both in the actual book and in a notebook, and often copying down a bunch of other sentences from RC that contain the word that I looked up. I think these children's stories actually have way more unknown vocabulary than the TV show, which surprises me. I think I should probably go back and read through the stories I've finished working with intensively to review a little bit and focus on just enjoying the silly stories.

I realized that right now I seem to be doing everything intensely and while I'm enjoying the material I'm working with, it is a bit exhausting. My reading/listening level is not good enough yet that I can do anything extensively and understand enough for it to be worthwhile. I've got to find a way to inject some easier activities into my routine. I would also like to start reading out loud a bit.
2 x

hedgehog.chess
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (N), English (~B2ish), German (~B2ish)
Language Log: https://tinyurl.com/yaofno9u

Postby hedgehog.chess » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:18 am

cjareck wrote:
StringerBell wrote:[color=#BF0000]Question#1: In the show Ultraviolet, a character refers to a guy as "koleś". Is this interchangeable with "człowiek" or "facet"?

Surely not with "człowiek" since "koleś" is a colloquial one.

I also thought that "człowiek" can’t be a synonym at first but how about this context: "Człowieku, co ty robisz ?"=”Dude, what are you doing?”. Considering that StringerBell is using a new Polish series she could have stumbled upon this usage, that’s why I’ve answered that they could be interchangeable ;)
2 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:52 am

hedgehog.chess wrote:[Considering that StringerBell is using a new Polish series she could have stumbled upon this usage, that’s why I’ve answered that they could be interchangeable ;)

You have right. In modern language, it may be interchangeable, but I would advise being cautious with that.

What concerns rogu/kącie I would only add na rogu - on the corner if you are telling the location on the crossroads.

parsknąć - originally it is the thing that horses do with their nose. That also has a historical background (sorry, this is stronger than me ;) ) - since in Poland there were a lot of noblemen, they were all using horses massively and probably that is why the word came into the use. In the 18th century, an Encyclopaedia Nowe Ateny (New Athens) was published. It contained a lot of untrue stories about the animals, but what was written about a horse is a legend now:
"Koń jaki jest, każdy widzi" (Horse is as everyone can see.)

Kogel-Mogel is used as the title of great comedies (I mean part one and two since they are doing now part three and I am rather sceptical to it):
Part one: https://www.cda.pl/video/1360661ca
Part two: https://www.cda.pl/video/1113511df
(the links are to cda not youtube, but this is legal site providing videos, do not worry)
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Return to “Language logs”