2019 Polish: Jeśli istnieje wola wtedy istnieje sposób.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
StringerBell
Green Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian: ~ C1 reading/listening and ? speaking
Polish : ~ B1

Re: 2019 Polish: Jeśli istnieje wola wtedy istnieje sposób.

Postby StringerBell » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:52 pm

cjareck wrote:parsknąć - originally it is the thing that horses do with their nose. That also has a historical background (sorry, this is stronger than me ;) ) - since in Poland there were a lot of noblemen, they were all using horses massively and probably that is why the word came into the use.

That will make parsknąć much easier to remember!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Today I went back and read through most of the stories in Nowe Przygody Mikołaja that I'd already read intensively. What a difference! The second time around I could read through them very easily so I enjoyed them much more. These are stories for children that seem to be written in a way to entertain adults.

Questions:

1) What is kurczę blade? The definitions I was getting didn't make much sense so I think I'm missing something.

No i Ananiasz, który jest pupilkiem, nie byłby już najlepszy z całej klasy, dostałby za swoje i przestałby nas tak okropnie wkurzać, no bo co w końcu, kurczę blade.

2) Am I right to assume that dawać w nos is a punch in the nose?
0 x
Polish goal: 2,000 hours : 1121 / 2000

cjareck
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:00 pm

StringerBell wrote:1) What is kurczę blade? The definitions I was getting didn't make much sense so I think I'm missing something.

The easiest answer would be "a swearword for children" ;)
StringerBell wrote:2) Am I right to assume that dawać w nos is a punch in the nose?

You have right.
1 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

FSI Hebrew Basic Course
: 31 / 40

DLI MSA Basic Course
: 9 / 140

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 902#p20145

Postby reineke » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:06 pm

cjareck wrote:You have right.

You did that a couple of times.

masz rację - you're right
1 x

cjareck
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?)

Postby cjareck » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:11 pm

reineke wrote:You did that a couple of times.
masz rację - you're right

Thanks! I just translated the corresponding Polish phrase literally, what was a beginner's mistake. I will try to remember the correct expression!
0 x

FSI Hebrew Basic Course

DLI MSA Basic Course

StringerBell
Green Belt

Postby StringerBell » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:35 pm

I was racking my brain to think of some "easier" extensive Polish activities when I got the idea to try my novel with audiobook again. This is something I originally tried to R-L to many months ago but it was way too difficult for me, so I started to make a parallel text in a Word Doc, but that ended up taking way too much time. I was really focused on trying to understand every word and it burned me out a little.

Since I have the novel in the original English, I realized that I already have a parallel text, there's no need to re-invent the wheel. So, I read a page or two in English quickly, then L-R in Polish to that same section. In this way I was able to get through a chapter pretty quickly and with very good comprehension. I definitely lost some words here and there, but having just read the section in English, I knew exactly what was happening so missing those words didn't affect my understanding at all.

Interestingly, when I first started trying to L-R this novel many months ago, I remember thinking that the audio was SO FAST that I couldn't keep up with it. It seemed like the woman reading the narration was on speed or something. This time, it didn't seem fast at all, it felt totally normal. I also recognized a lot of words from other sources that I'm working with.

So, I think I found my way to alternate intensive and extensive activities! :P

I decided that for now, I'm going to work intensively with the children's stories that I'm reading, and extensively with the novels+audiobooks.

I'm going to try to keep working intensively with each episode of Ultraviolet, then rewatch the episodes periodically. When I'm done with the season, I'll try watching some of the Polish TV shows that stream without subtitles to see if it's any easy to follow them.
4 x

StringerBell
Green Belt

Postby StringerBell » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:15 pm

So far, here are the books/audiobooks I've gathered. I just bought the Polish translation of a Goosebumps book because I found it on Empik for $3.50. This series didn't exist when I was a kid so I never read it.

For children:
Dzieci z Bullerbyn (ebook + audiobook) IN PROGRESS
Nowe Przygody Mikołaja (physical book) IN PROGRESS
Akademia Pana Kleksa (physical book)
Tomek u rodel Amazoniki - Szklarski (physical book)
Wakacje z Duchami - Bahdaj (physical book)
Upiorna lalka Slappy - Goosebumps - (ebook)

For adults:
Jak Uczyć Się Jezyków (ebook) FINISHED
Szklany Zamek (ebook + audiobook) IN PROGRESS
Dolores Claiborne (physical book + audiobook)
Jednym Strzałem - Jack Reacher (ebook + audiobook)
Lolita (physical book)
Robinson Crusoe (ebook), possibly can find audiobook for free.

I look forward to reading books written originally in Polish when my skills improve, but for now I need to stick with translations so I can refer the English version as a kind of parallel text.

Good news! I finally finished episode 1 of Ultraviolet. I was in such a good flow that I went right on to episode 2, and managed to get through much more than I'd planned. I'm coming across lots of useful and contemporary vocabulary like:
zhakować = to hack
to łatwizna = it's easy/it's a piece of cake
ogarnąć = to figure out/ to handle, as in:

Ola: Więc jeśli tego nie ogarniemy, no to będzie słabo. (So if we can't figure this out, it'll be really weak/lame.)
Piast: Ogarniemy to. (We'll figure it out/get it done)

Question:

A character says "nie to nie". From the context, this should mean something like "never mind". Is this how you'd say "never mind" or "forget it" in Polish? Are there other ways to express this idea, or is this the best way to say it?
2 x

cjareck
Orange Belt

Postby cjareck » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:44 pm

What concerns "Wakacje z Duchami" there is also a movie based on the novel:
https://www.cda.pl/video/25342158
or even TV series:
https://gloria.tv/video/nXp3TEYGUKxM3A3GpB9nmFqyA
StringerBell wrote:Question:
A character says "nie to nie". From the context, this should mean something like "never mind". Is this how you'd say "never mind" or "forget it" in Polish? Are there other ways to express this idea, or is this the best way to say it?

It is stronger than "never mind". It is something like "if you do not want to accept my proposal/do what I want, then never mind". So it contains a bit of being resentful.
1 x

FSI Hebrew Basic Course

DLI MSA Basic Course

Return to “Language logs”