gsbod's 2019 Reading Log (DE)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

gsbod's 2019 Reading Log (DE)

Postby gsbod » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:31 pm

Currently Reading:
Frank Schätzing - Der Schwarm (started in 2018)
Iris Hanika - Treffen sich zwei

Finished in 2019:
Volker Kutscher - Der Nasse Fisch (started in 2018)
Monika Geier - Wie könnt ihr schlafen?

Dropped:

I am using this log to keep track of my German reading throughout 2019 and hopefully keep me on track with my resolution to read more German in 2019 and better my poor performance in 2018, when I only finished three German books all year.

In order to widen the scope of my reading, I would also like to read the following:
- At least one book first published before 1950
- At least one book written by an Austrian writer
- At least one book written by someone who was not born in a German speaking country but writes in German
- At least one book that has not been translated into English - done
- At least half of the books I read to be written by female writers
Last edited by gsbod on Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)

Re: gsbod's 2019 Reading Log (DE)

Postby gsbod » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:39 pm

Finally, I have finished reading Der Nasse Fisch.

I took far too long to finish this book, which I think actually made it harder to read overall. Certain characters and situations that I'd forgotten reading about which became more important towards the end of the book, for example.

I also made the mistake of starting to watch Babylon Berlin halfway through the book. Although it is based on the book, there are significant differences between the two. Although Babylon Berlin looks amazing, I love how they've recreated the Berlin of the late 20s, it seems to be a different story with different characters, although they have the same names and some of the themes are the same. There are also a few big reveals right near the beginning of the TV series which spoiled my reading of the book a little. I need to watch the rest of Babylon Berlin to comment further though.

On the whole I was slightly disappointed with the book. I think because of the fuss made about the TV series I was somehow expecting something better. Not to say that it was bad, it was a reasonable thriller with a very interesting historical setting. I actually bought the book following a recommendation from somebody, before anybody had even heard of the TV show, and I think had I read it back then, with lower expectations, I would have enjoyed it more. That being said, I think I'll still read the next book in the series and see where it goes.
2 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)

Postby gsbod » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:37 pm

Today I finished Wie könnt ihr schlafen, a Krimi by Monika Geier. I don't think this has been translated to English, so I get to tick one thing off the list at the start of this log.

Kommissarin Bettina Boll gets recalled from her holiday (where she is supposed to be looking after her sister's kids while her sister is being treated for a serious illness) and sent to investigate as the remains of a baby from 25 years ago are discovered in the garden of a grand old house in rural Pfalz, in which many darks secrets are hidden.

This is one to avoid if you don't want to read about violence against women (or infanticide, for that matter).

That being said I liked Bettina Boll. I think she captures some truth to how it is being a professional woman in your late 20s working in a male-dominated field. She doubts herself, sometimes lacks confidence, and can be awkward. Her boss is vile. She has to deal with an assistant who starts the investigation drawing lewd doodles in his notebook while they are questioning a witness. In many respects the whole book is a perceptive study on gender and power - although I think this is let down in part by how the ending turns out (maybe it had to turn out that way, because anything else would have been too predictable...)
3 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:00 am

Since you're looking for books by women authors, I'm planning on reading Atemschaukel by Nobel laurate Herta Müller in April (or around that time--I've already got too much to read for March). I haven't seen the German text yet, so I have no idea of how difficult it is for L2 readers, but I'm expecting it to be a challenge, for myself at least. If that sort of literature interests you, it's be great to have another person around here reading it for the motivation and support. :D
1 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

gsbod
Blue Belt
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)

Postby gsbod » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:30 am

What a great idea. I do need to read more, erm, "proper" literature and not just Krimis...

Amazon.de has the "Blick ins Buch" function and at a glance the German looks reasonable enough for where I'm at.

I'll see if I can pick up a copy when I'm in Germany at the end of the month.
1 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)

Postby gsbod » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Cèid Donn wrote:Since you're looking for books by women authors, I'm planning on reading Atemschaukel by Nobel laurate Herta Müller in April (or around that time--I've already got too much to read for March). I haven't seen the German text yet, so I have no idea of how difficult it is for L2 readers, but I'm expecting it to be a challenge, for myself at least. If that sort of literature interests you, it's be great to have another person around here reading it for the motivation and support. :D

I now have my copy and am ready to go - still on for April?
0 x

Return to “Language logs”