2019: Learn Harder [DE, ZH, ES, EU, PL, KO]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Mandarin Chinese (B1), Spanish (A2), Polish (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17648

Re: 2019: Learn Harder [DE, ZH, ES, EU, PL, KO]

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:31 pm

Ugh, I didn't update last week because I had the flu and now I have a cold so I am feeling Not The Best and haven't really studied in that time. I've kept up my Mandarin streak (mostly through watching TV) but that's about it. Hate being sick. :(

Stillllllllllllll I'm hoping to be all better by next week—ideally I would be by the weekend, since I have plans already, but that might be wishful thinking.

So, basically, my goals for this week are:
  • get better :lol:

Yeah, I'd also like to maintain that Mandarin streak and study each of my other languages a little, but getting better is the main thing. I'm gonna go rest, relax (a little) and hopefully I'll be back next week all ready to go again! :D
4 x
pronouns: she/her

: 31 / 365 365-Day Language Challenge; de, zh, es

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Mandarin Chinese (B1), Spanish (A2), Polish (A0)

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:19 pm

I'm aliiiiiiiive! :lol: No, but seriously, I finally felt 100% healthy again by Sunday so I've spent the beginning of the week pushing myself to run a little (my half marathon is on the 24th (!!) so I'm doing a trial at the gym to make sure I go) and I'm feeling ready to add language learning back into my schedule in a more structured way.

However, since we're now almost two-and-a-half months into the new year, I've had a look back at what I've been doing. The 365-day language challenge has been working really well for me. Sure, some days I'm only watching TV, but I have literally come into contact with Mandarin for at least 30 minutes every day so far. I can feel the difference, too—even when I'm not studying studying, I'm still picking up words and phrases and getting used to the rhythms of the language. :D

On the other hand, some of my languages are getting a lot of neglect. In particular, Basque and Polish. :( I've barely studied either language all year and I'm not really finding that I'm making time for them. I do like them both though, so I'm not dropping either language, per se, they're just going to be put away for a while and I'll take them out and dust them off when I fancy a change of pace.

...There is another reason behind this decision, though. I really, really want to take part in iguanamon's FLC again. I went too hard too fast last time; I chose two languages that were pretty much unrelated to anything I'd learnt before and burnt out suuuuuuper quick. But I've been thinking about this round for a while, and I think I'm going to go with... *drumroll* French!

Now, I wouldn't be starting this as a complete beginner; I took GCSE French about... twelve (?) years ago now, but I haven't touched the language since. I know I remember basic words ('hello' 'please' 'thank you') and some basic constructions (like simple sentences, not that I can remember conjugation), but I don't think it's anything too excessive and I'd definitely label myself a false beginner.

So I'm gonna go ahead and join in with that. :lol: I'll start tomorrow (14th March) since it's almost midnight here anyhow and hopefully, by November I'll have muddled my way through enough that I can hold a conversation? Maybe? We'll see.

No goals for this week; I'm going to cobble together some FLC resources and start working on that and see how I distribute my time over my other languages now I've set two of them aside. Hopefully it'll be a little more even!
3 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:07 pm

LunaMoonsilver wrote:First of all, an old German lecturer of mine shared a link to the Goethe Institut's 'onleihe' service, which is like an online library for German books. I signed up from the UK (for free!) and could download books straight away—which is really helpful, as one of the things I want to work on in German is my writing; there's a textbook for that. They have a ton of textbooks for learning German, but also lots of popular book series and you can borrow the books for up to two weeks at a time. The downside is that because they're copyrighted, I can't copy any of these books onto my Kindle (you have to use Adobe Digital Editions to read the pdfs) but they do have an app and you can read them on your computer.

There's a similar service available for french. The eLibrary associated with the Insitut Français, Culturetheque.com.
2 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:17 pm

Weekly Goals: Week Twelve
19.03.2019-25.03.2019

Had a chill few days since my last post (language-wise; work-wise, it's been busy) and I've gathered a few resources for French. I think I'm going to use the FSI French Basic course for the most part, but I also have the DLI Basic course if I decide I don't like FSI. I've already started with podcasts at the gym—French Pod 101, so far.

I finished the last Mandarin series I'd been watching and I'm 24 episodes into a new one (out of 58, so there's still a way to go). Just need to work on my other Super Challenge targets. I also realised I really need to practise writing in German, so I started another tumblr (I have a main one for language learning) where I'm going to just talk a whole lot about the Sims :lol: Ridiculous, but I do think it'll be useful; if I get into it and start writing stories, etc., then it'll be studying that feels really fun and I'm sure I'll progress fairly well. The only downside is that most Sim tumblrs (Simblrs) are in English so finding other German-speakers is going to take some work—and I doubt I'll get language feedback. Still, it's not really for that; part of the whole exercise is to self-critique and improve that way. :D

Anywayyyyyy, those weekly goals:

German
  • Write five separate posts on tumblr.
  • Finish reading Sinner's Creek because I feel like I've been reading it foreverrrr.

Mandarin
  • Watch up to episode 30 of Princess Agents (特工皇妃楚乔传).

Spanish
  • Watch two TV episodes.
  • Actively study for 30 mins.

Korean
  • Actively study for 30 mins.
  • Listen to two podcasts (likely Korean Pod 101).

French
  • Study FSI Basic for at least 30 mins.

That should keep me busy! I'm running my half marathon on Sunday, so I might just listen to language podcasts to distract myself from that :lol: (nah, I'm much more likely to listen to D&D ones...). I'm travelling to and from London for the run, though, so that gives me time on the train to get through some of the TV—and then I'm off work Monday, though I hope I'm not trying to get through everything then!

Oh, and, the tumblr... has anyone else had any success running a blog (at whatever level) in one of their TLs? In terms of language improvement, I mean; I'm not looking for a ton of readers or whatever. I've given it a go a couple of times but trailed off when I ran out of things to write about, so I'm hoping this time goes better. There's gonna be a lot of photo editing involved though :lol:
3 x

javier_getafe
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2). In the way to get C1 certificate this year 2022. Wish me luck ;)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10163

Postby javier_getafe » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:04 pm

I wish you enjoy your half marathon tomorrow, here in Madrid there is also one half marathon on Sunday and some of my coworkers are going to be there, not me unfortunately :(. Still resting from the accident I had last year.
Good luck!
0 x

addylad
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1?)

Postby addylad » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:37 pm

Chill days? This is unacceptable behaviour. :o

A blog sounds like a great way to practice. I think I would prefer to write a story of some sort though, just because that would allow me more freedom to express myself. Perhaps reviewing books you have read would be a good way to practice expressing yourself concisely, whilst giving you an endless supply of material to write about.

I have been absent from this thread for a while... have you added more languages? :D
0 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:33 am

javier_getafe wrote:I wish you enjoy your half marathon tomorrow, here in Madrid there is also one half marathon on Sunday and some of my coworkers are going to be there, not me unfortunately :(. Still resting from the accident I had last year.
Good luck!

Thank you, it was really fun! I was sceptical, because the last race I did was a 10km last year and I hated it (the course just suuuuuuucked) but this was a nice twisty-turny route through central London and the weather was so good for it. I beat my previous time by like six minutes too (I'm still not fast, by any means) so I was feeling really good about the whole thing.

Oh, that's a shame you couldn't be there! :( Good that you're resting up, though, I guess it's annoying but it's better than injuring yourself all over again!

addylad wrote:Chill days? This is unacceptable behaviour. :o

A blog sounds like a great way to practice. I think I would prefer to write a story of some sort though, just because that would allow me more freedom to express myself. Perhaps reviewing books you have read would be a good way to practice expressing yourself concisely, whilst giving you an endless supply of material to write about.

I have been absent from this thread for a while... have you added more languages? :D

Haha, I know, it's so unlike me!

Yeah, the Simblr kind of gives me freedom in that respect; there's a whole bunch of people who write stories about their sims and though they're mostly dialogue (using screenshots from the game), it's still good practice. I am tempted with the book reviewing, but I keep trying to do that in English and still don't make it a priority :? Although maybe now that I'm reading more German books that aren't/have no translations, it might also be useful? I really need to get back on that Super Challenge thread I made a loooooooong time ago.

I have added French (!) so that I can take part in the FLC. It's... going, but once I get into it it'll be going well. I've semi-dropped Polish and Basque, in that I'm not studying them actively, but they're sitting there patiently until I come back to them. :D
3 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:56 pm

Last Week's Goals

I didn't get all that much done in terms of my goals last week, but I still spent a little bit of time on each language, even if it was mostly watching TV :lol: I'm still definitely trying to strike a balance between active studying and ploughing through material for the Super Challenge—it's really just a time thing that I'm hopefully getting better at. We'll see.

German
  • Write five separate posts on tumblr. - Nope; I wrote one (and I think I have one follower) but I played a while and wrote notes in German, so I have things to write about this week.
  • Finish reading Sinner's Creek. - Nope, didn't even look at it. (Nothing personal to this book, though; I didn't read anything last week, I don't think.)

Mandarin
  • Watch up to episode 30 of Princess Agents (特工皇妃楚乔传). - Done!

Spanish
  • Watch two TV episodes. - Done! I watched a couple more episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, so I'm onto season three now.
  • Actively study for 30 mins. - Nope.

Korean
  • Actively study for 30 mins. - Nope.
  • Listen to two podcasts (likely Korean Pod 101). - Also nope. :?

French
  • Study FSI Basic for at least 30 mins. - Nope, though I think I did about twenty minutes yesterday.

Yeah, so it was definitely mostly TV. I vastly overestimated the amount of studying I'd get done at the weekend—unsurprisingly, I ended up falling asleep on the train back from London, not that I think I'd have remembered anything I tried to learn on that journey anyway!

But I'm ready for another (calmer) week, where I should have a bit more time for languages.

Weekly Goals: Week Thirteen
26.03.2019-01.04.2019

German
  • Watch a film (or equivalent; 90mins+).
  • Finish reading Sinner's Creek.
  • Write three posts for tumblr.

Mandarin
  • Watch four more episodes of Princess Agents (特工皇妃楚乔传).
  • Read 10 pages.

Spanish
  • Watch two TV episodes.
  • Read 20 pages.

Korean
  • Actively study for 30 minutes.
  • Listen to one podcast episode.

French
  • Actively study for 30 minutes.

Guess I'd better go and get started! :D
3 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:54 pm

Ah, so, basically I had a terrible time at work last week. It just boils down to small things that have been bothering me and they've kind of snowballed and so after the worst shift I've ever worked on Saturday, I've spent the last four days seething/frustrated. I've addressed the problems with my manager today and I'm feeling a lot better about it but, surprise surprise, it hasn't been super conducive for language learning. :lol: I did hit some of my goals, though, and spent some time today making a list of what I want to do in the next week.

And, ooh, only 17 days until I go on holiday! :D (I can't waaaaaaaaait both to travel and to have time off work.)

Anywho,

Last Week's Goals

German
  • Watch a film (or equivalent; 90mins+). - Done! Not a film, but I watched two episodes of Stranger Things.
  • Finish reading Sinner's Creek. - Nope. (Think I read another ~10% though.)
  • Write three posts for tumblr. - Nope.

Mandarin
  • Watch four more episodes of Princess Agents (特工皇妃楚乔传). - Done! I'm on episode 38/58 now, I think.
  • Read 10 pages.- Nope, BUT, I did read six pages of a manga, so while that only counts as one Super Challenge page, still—six pages! I need to keep working on this, but I'm glad I put some time into it this week.

Spanish
  • Watch two TV episodes. - Done!
  • Read 20 pages. - Nope.

Korean
  • Actively study for 30 minutes. - Nope. (Think I did a few minutes on Duolingo.)
  • Listen to one podcast episode. - Nope.

French
  • Actively study for 30 minutes. - Nope.
  • Listen to one podcast episode. - Done!

Weekly Goals: Week Fourteen
02.04.2019-08.04.2019

German
  • Watch four episodes of Game of Thrones. (I read this article about which eight GoT episodes are essential rewatches before season 8 begins, since I know I won't manage a whole rewatch in... ten days :lol: )
  • Finish reading Sinner's Creek.
  • Write one post for tumblr.

Mandarin
  • Watch five more episodes of Princess Agents (特工皇妃楚乔传).
  • Read 5 pages.

Spanish
  • Watch two TV episodes.
  • Read 10 pages.

Korean
  • Actively study for 15 minutes.

French
  • Study for 15 minutes a day (in the same vein as the 365-day language challenge, just with less time).

:)
4 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:15 pm

I ended up inadvertently taking part in another readathon this weekend—I just saw it come up on Twitter on Friday and figured it might be a good time to try out whether I could do one without reading anything in English.

This one was only a 24-hour one, with a set start time, running from 13:00 (UK time) on Saturday to 13:00 on Sunday. Kind of perfect for me, since I finish work at 12:45, though I did end up falling asleep for a few hours yesterday afternoon anyway :lol:

In the end, I read/listened to audio for just over five hours, finished that German novel I've been reading for weeks (months?), started a new one and got through/started a bunch of manga. Yay!

Here's a pic of my spreadsheet, too.

pph = pages per hour; this went up for German in comparison to the last readathon I did, and down for Mandarin and Spanish.

I will note that for Mandarin and Spanish I was reading intensively, making word lists and, with Mandarin, ensuring I knew the pronunciation of every character. For German, I read aloud probably half the time.

This was pretty productive, though! I'm quite tempted to spend one day a month focusing hard on reading; otherwise, I don't know how I'll hit any of my Super Challenge targets. :lol:
7 x

Return to “Language logs”