Ani's 2019 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Ani's 2019 Log

Postby IronMike » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:22 pm

Ani wrote:
reineke wrote:I guessed as much but the acronym also stands for Limited English proficiency.

You can submit your objections to our dear rdearman, who suggested it and has been using it over on his log :-P

You don't want to know what other things I found when I searched that term in an Internet Dictionary...NSFW!
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:28 pm

IronMike wrote:You don't want to know what other things I found when I searched that term in an Internet Dictionary...NSFW!

Hahahaha.. I'll remember not to do that :lol:

reineke wrote:I have already objected over his use of French so I think I'll keep away from there.

Hm.. maybe a good idea.

PeterMollenburg wrote:Anyway to have an LEP who speaks Breton is interesting

Except he doesn't speak it.. I guess I threw everyone off so much with that acronym you missed the flow of the sentence ;) I guarantee of he spoke it I would have started learning it this summer. That would just be too tempting.

About finding time.. I don't know. I mean obviously I have more/different time compared to people who work "real" jobs. What you consider desk time, I have next to zero of that lately but with Bluetooth headphones I can prop my phone up anywhere and work around the area and then grab it and go to another part of the house. It's pretty easy to watch a bunch of things like that. And I can do Memrise, and text/Snapchat people* in French while snuggling a kid down to nap/sleep..

*My phone legit tried to auto correct that instance of people as "peeps".. I don't think I've ever used that word, at least not in 15 years... But I suppose if you're on Snapchat that's the sort of word that comes next :lol:
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:39 am

Rough couple days language wise. My head has been in a fog. I was debating even whether to even count my Spanish time as pass or fail because I couldn't focus for anything. (Editor's note: I reread that sentence and decided to leave it, as this post is written in spoken English, apologies to those who prefer different) In the end I decided that the challenge is consistency and some days of the year we're more mentally "on" than others and that's just how it is going to be. Everyone in my house has a cold and although I don't feel sick, I am wondering if I am a little bit since this is rather unusual for me.. although it could also be stress:-/
(Further Edit: I started this post earlier in the day. Pretty sure I'm sick now...)

Yes the move is pushed back some more for those who are following along...

I had a surprise French language exchange this morning. I was still in bed when the offer was made so I basically just jumped up, splashed on some makeup and booted up the computer. I have been feeling like my French is improving by leaps and bounds lately as I've been listening to a lot of rap as I pack & I've been keeping up on my Instagram stories when I relax for a minute. It's just a huge variety of content in the end.. BUT... There was no evidence of that improvement in the call. :lol: I'm going to blame my fuzzy head & the fact that I had jumped straight out of bed with no prep, no French time to wake up my brain.

The call itself was still good, if my grammar was atrocious. We found some very amusing (at least to us..) cultural differences and spent a while trying to stump each other with expressions that are not obvious on a word for word basis like tomber de chordes (raining cats and dogs), broyer du noir (be sad), bust your chops, bite the bullet, head over heels, avoir un passage à vide(having a low period)..

Part of me wants to share a bunch of the vocab & cool content I've found lately, and a larger part of me is too lazy to do that. But there's this..
With the sad news of the explosion in Paris last week that killed two fire fighters among others, I was clicking though some related hashtags, and I came across la planche pompier. It's a traditional fireman's test of conditioning, apparently started in 1825. In la Brigade de Sapeurs-Pompiers de Paris (the firemen in Paris, who are actually a branch of military), it's done every day as a test to determine fitness to go on an intervention. In other parts of France, it's part of the test to become a professional fire fighter. Here's a video showing how to do it but if you're interested, a google search turns up lots of videos and articles that I thought were interesting on the subject.

10 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:09 pm

I looked into Breton awhile back. (A Celtic language with its own Assimil!) Never really started it, but I did find the cutest kids show on YouTube: Mouchig-Dall. It seems to be mostly short animated segments from France redubbed into Breton. But the segments are delightful. (Eat vegetables! Know your urban animals!) I’d love to find a similar French show. So charming.
4 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:34 pm

Ani wrote:raining cats and dogs

Does anyone use this expression in real life? I've seen it only in textbooks, etc. and I've always been curious if it's still being used in real-life situations.
0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:32 pm

aaleks wrote:

Does anyone use this expression in real life? I've seen it only in textbooks, etc. and I've always been curious if it's still being used in real-life situations.
People in the UK still say it.
3 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:11 pm

aaleks wrote:

Maybe.. it's not a super common thing to say, but it's very present in popular culture. It's definitely something everybody knows and would think of as one of the ways to describe rain. It's probably also at the top of the list if you asked someone for idioms.
3 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:23 pm

DaveAgain wrote:People in the UK still say it.

Ani wrote:Maybe.. it's not a super common thing to say, but it's very present in popular culture. It's definitely something everybody knows and would think of as one of the ways to describe rain. It's probably also at the top of the list if you asked someone for idioms.

Thank you!
3 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:56 pm

aaleks wrote:

Yes. All the time.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:37 am

Ani wrote:
You can submit your objections to our dear rdearman.

reineke wrote:I have already objected over his use of French so I think I'll keep away from there.

Hm.. maybe a good idea.

Besides, he's deaf.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”