Ani's 2019 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Ani's 2019 Log

Postby Ani » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:06 am

cjareck wrote:Wow! I had to recalculate it into kilograms to have a better understanding of the mass. It is 10896 kg. Even if only half of the weight are books, then it seems you may have about 5000 of them. Much more than I have! The question exceeds the purpose of the forum and may already have been answered in some other place, but don't you mind telling me what kind of books they are?

Lol ok ok it's not all books. Not even half of it. Not even 1/4 of it probably. That weight includes my husband's garage full of tools & the boat & the piano... And DH thinks it's a gross overestimation. DH estimates professionally for his living so he's probably right.

I probably have the equivalent of 5 large book shelves (6ft tall by 3-4ft wide).. maybe it's a little more than that :-p hard to say... The vast majority is homeschool stuff. I have a few shelves full of encyclopedic type reference books, an enormous amount of math books -- both curricula & enrichment, and then just tons of novels & historical fiction for the kids to read.
My language stuff is more reasonable. Maybe I'll take pictures while I'm doing all this sorting..

reineke wrote:You're also trusting a woman who says she doesn't own any clothes.

Je suis contente de te voir ici, même si tu n'es venu que pour me taquiner. :lol:

In fact, I just got rid of all my clothes (..and bought new ones...) So everything I have fits in a single suitcase :-P

... We're not counting shoes in this calculation, are we?? ;)

cjareck wrote:My wife has fewer clothes than I so why not to trust Ani? ;)

Thank you!
My husband has about 4x what I have... Or maybe more than that at this point because he needs to have different levels of professional clothes. The leggings and t-shirts that I live in take up almost no space at all.
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:17 am

I was going to follow up with "it's the boat, isn't it?" You know, as a joke. I have full confidence you can figure out the whole mass vs gravity conundrum.
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:24 am

Ani wrote:I probably have the equivalent of 5 large book shelves (6ft tall by 3-4ft wide).. maybe it's a little more than that :-p hard to say... The vast majority is homeschool stuff. I have a few shelves full of encyclopedic type reference books, an enormous amount of math books -- both curricula & enrichment, and then just tons of novels & historical fiction for the kids to read.
My language stuff is more reasonable. Maybe I'll take pictures while I'm doing all this sorting..

Sounds like you've got some books available for your 1500th post giveaway! ;)
4 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:09 am

IronMike wrote:Sounds like you've got some books available for your 1500th post giveaway! ;)

Yes, just a few...

Actually I just took photos, because I love you all and I had nothing better to do than procrastinate running books around the house..

But now I have to figure out how to resize them for posting so I might get around to posting them about... never. :-/
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:19 am

Ani wrote:My language stuff is more reasonable. Maybe I'll take pictures while I'm doing all this sorting..

Nah, I don't believe you.

Ani wrote:Actually I just took photos, because I love you all and I had nothing better to do than procrastinate running books around the house..

But now I have to figure out how to resize them for posting so I might get around to posting them about... never. :-/

Yay!!! We get to see your books!
2 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:22 pm

Ani wrote:But now I have to figure out how to resize them for posting so I might get around to posting them about... never. :-/

I use this site, very easy and fast: http://www.picresize.com/
4 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:36 am

IronMike wrote:
Ani wrote:But now I have to figure out how to resize them for posting so I might get around to posting them about... never. :-/

I use this site, very easy and fast: http://www.picresize.com/

I use that too, but I never know what size to make them? It's so complicated... No I'll try though.. maybe by Friday :-/

So it's Jan 8th, first 365 fail.
I technically could fit in my time but I'm tired and I wanna go to bed. (And also write this post about failing which probably is going to take up as much time as I would have needed to succeed..)
I only did 7 minutes of Spanish.... (And then I studied Breton) ... And I thought I'd have more time today but things kept coming up & people kept being around to talk to.. (friends, neighbors, people I only really talk to on Snapchat). Very sociable day for me and I'm ok with that.
So I'm at 1. Not negative. So I've got that going for me :-D

Also I found out yesterday I have a stress fracture in my foot. It's been bothering me for a long time but I kept running on it anyway. Everyone I told that to has said "well yeah that's how you get a stress fracture"..
Right .....
I'm irrationally angry about it..
But maybe I'll spend some of the time that I won't be running in the next few months on languages...
I might take up Breton in protest of my ankle. Making irrational decisions makes me feel in control of things, even if it's stupid. At least I'm not getting a tattoo.
14 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:28 pm

Ani wrote:
Also I found out yesterday I have a stress fracture in my foot. It's been bothering me for a long time but I kept running on it anyway. Everyone I told that to has said "well yeah that's how you get a stress fracture"..
Right .....
I'm irrationally angry about it..
But maybe I'll spend some of the time that I won't be running in the next few months on languages...
Making irrational decisions makes me feel in control of things, even if it's stupid. At least I'm not getting a tattoo.

Me too! Many moons ago I busted my foot trying to save someone's cats from a burning building. Other stuff: Me too!

Hope you feel better soon.
2 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:52 am

Thanks Reineke :D

Back on track with Spanish. I started watching Destinos. It's kinda catchy. Not planning on doing any of the book work, and not even committing to finishing all the videos...

I also took a stab at reading the first few pages of HP. I read the first chapter in English to my 6 year old today so it seemed like a good opportunity. It's not quite like reading as much as matching up my memory of what should be said in each clause with completely foreign looking letter combinations. There's enough romance discount for this to work right now, although I'm very much not at the point where I could read something I didn't already have memorized.

I also watched some of la Reina del sur on Netflix. I watched the first episode previously with English subs, so now I'm watching with Spanish audio/Spanish subs. Any scene I find interesting I'm watching a second time with English subs and then a third time again with Spanish. I won't have the patience to do that too many times but it's ok because I don't really think it's that helpful overall. It will help me not to lose important plot points and maybe I'll grab a little vocabulary. At this point I understand more of the spoken Spanish than I can read and I keep being surprised when I hear a word the I know from French, and then see it written. I'm sure I'll get over that quickly as it seems the writing system is pretty straight forward.

Also still going with Breton :-D
Had a good conversation about place names in Brittany. After learning that "ar mor" means the sea, the department name Côtes d'Armor made more sense :) and my friend mentioned Morbihan is "Little sea", as it's an area known for its gulf.
7 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:51 am

Ani wrote:Also still going with Breton :-D
There's a french book/TV series where the central character is a Breton, and proud of it!
3 x

Return to “Language logs”