Ani's 2019 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Ani's 2019 Log

Postby Ani » Thu May 02, 2019 3:06 am

Hey guys
Long time no talk...

My life is a little jumbly right now. I live in Washington DC. Well really close to it at least and right on the metro.
I'm not really sure how to do a life update, or if there is really any need. I miss you all but I haven't had a lot to say.

Spanish hasn't got a lot of attention. I found someone who is teaching me Portuguese, which wasn't in the plan but.. well.. a lot of things uh my life weren't in the plan.

I've been chatting in French like 7 hours a day with a variety of people, mostly met through Tandem. (Let's just give up calling this a language learning app and admit that it's Tinder International) My writing is really improving. I've mastered certain subjects that non-natives rarely learn, and several times I've been asked if I was really American and not une française. But thats only writing and my speaking lags behind. And although I don't want to build bad habits, I've dabbled in intentionally making errors that French people make like Sa/Ça s'est/c'est :lol: I've even gotten adept at reading horrible writing like "Tu n'as cas venir" (Tu n'as qu'à venir). I know it's not really fair, but I mostly abandon conversations where people want to speak a lot of English in favor of people who pretty much only want to speak French. I'm ok with a 50/50 split if the conversations are really fun but I get way way way too many invitations to chat every day so I have to be choosy one way or another.. I've had up to 100 new messages in a week, but I usually get about 25-40/week.

One of my goals is to really start speaking more. I'm going to start trying video snaps. I have a couple people who want that (only in French) so I just need to do it. I think my French would be really pretty decent by the end of the year if I converted 25% of my chatting time to oral...

So that's where I am.. kinda. After a few month absence, I feel like I should make some sort of bold statements but um... Don't really feel like it.
Hope you're all doing well. Pop in and tell me because I'll never catch up on logs...
19 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Thu May 02, 2019 7:08 am

Nice to see you back! Hope you and the family are doing well.
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu May 02, 2019 2:54 pm

Hurray, you're back!

Next time I'm in DC I'll let you know.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sat May 11, 2019 1:25 am

Quoted from IronMike's log:
IronMike wrote:Ani, you should join the challenge! Think outside the box: maybe you wanna run a sub-M:SS mile, or you want to run a 5K under a certain time. (Trying to remember what you've mentioned before as your physical fitness routine.) Same with your languages. It doesn't have to be an official test. Maybe there's a website you use to test your French proficiency (DLIFLC?) and you want to score above XX next time? Or maybe you want to do a 15-minute presentation in French on topic X? You can youtube it.

I'm just lucky that I can take the DLPTs, so that makes for something tangible and easy for me to set as a goal.

Join me!

Hmmm... Ok.
I have until the end of the year?
Giving a presentation on a French topic is a great idea. 15
minutes seem looooooong, even in English, but I can make something like that happen. Subject & parameters to be defined over the next couple days/weeks. It would definitely be a challenge from several angles, but I think do-able. And I know some people who would be great to help me with it.

I've been into pole sport lately. I haven't done much running since I broke my ankle, and as I get back to it, it will be just for pleasure (I know, I'm weird, I loooove to run) and not time or distance.

So I've been working really hard on getting my splits. That would be a great goal. I'm pretty sure I can do it. I also announced at some point to someone?? That I wanted to be able to do la planche pompier n'y the end of the year. That's a pretty good goal too and I've already been working consistently for it. Really hard though. Not sure I'll be able to :lol:

I usually focus on challenges that are very possible to succeed at. These physical goals are a little outside that. Even if I do everything I should, my body might not cooperate. But I'm ok with that. So... Ok!
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat May 11, 2019 10:24 am

Ani wrote:Giving a presentation on a French topic is a great idea.

:lol: Yeah, I thought that, until I did it. :roll: The first comment was: Votre français est terrible. Adieu :oops:

1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Sat May 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Hurray! So glad you're going to take part in the Language Fitness Challenge with me. Anyone else with us?
1 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

javier_getafe
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2). In the way to get C1 certificate this year 2022. Wish me luck ;)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10163

Postby javier_getafe » Sat May 11, 2019 6:29 pm

IronMike wrote:Hurray! So glad you're going to take part in the Language Fitness Challenge with me. Anyone else with us?

Hi,
What exactly is the Language Fitness Challenge? :shock:
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Sun May 12, 2019 12:36 am

javier_getafe wrote:
IronMike wrote:Hurray! So glad you're going to take part in the Language Fitness Challenge with me. Anyone else with us?

Hi,

Join us, Javier!

page 33 of my log
1 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sun May 12, 2019 3:12 am

rdearman wrote:
Ani wrote:Giving a presentation on a French topic is a great idea.

:lol: Yeah, I thought that, until I did it. :roll: The first comment was: Votre français est terrible. Adieu :oops:

Je suis désolée que ça ait été une expérience si difficile. :( Il est possible que ça ne se passe pas bien pour moi non plus. :lol: on verra :lol:

Yay :) I'm kind of excited. Now I just need to figure out what the heck I can talk about for 15 minutes... That's like a million years. I don't have that kind of attention span.
Is it similar if I do three 5 minute presentations?

Anyone with ideas is welcome to throw them out here :)
0 x

javier_getafe
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2). In the way to get C1 certificate this year 2022. Wish me luck ;)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10163

Postby javier_getafe » Sun May 12, 2019 10:23 am

IronMike wrote:
javier_getafe wrote:

Hi,

Join us, Javier!

page 33 of my log

Nooooo :lol: . I'm afraid that I dont have what it takes :roll:
But I was taken a look at the stunnig videos I found in the link "swim the suck". Amazing videos! I defenitely love the nature!
Good luck with you challenge.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”