Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Brown Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby Radioclare » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:19 pm

6 August
Yesterday I thought it was going to rain so I wore my raincoat to work and it turned out to be a really hot sunny day. Today I decided not to make the same mistake again, so I went to work without my coat and got absolutely drenched :cry:

Russian
My Memrise reviews weren't too bad this morning so I had plenty of time to learn new words. The theme of today's vocabulary was furniture and I only knew basic furniture words like "table" and "bed" before, so that was useful.

While walking in the pouring rain, I got through lesson 20 of Pimsleur 3. It was another of those lessons where I'm not sure what I learned, but overall I still feel like it's good practice.

This evening, as promised, I did the exercises on verbs of motion from chapter 10 of Colloquial Russian. It went about as well as I expected :lol: The problem wasn't so much choosing the correct verb to use, because the examples were all quite basic in that respect, but more conjugating the verbs correctly. I did try quite hard to learn the conjugations yesterday, but they haven't properly sunk into my memory yet. I could probably benefit from doing the same exercises again tomorrow, but I'm not sure whether I'll be able to find the enthusiasm :lol:

Total time = 99 minutes. Streak = 217 days
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:21 pm

Radioclare wrote:Yesterday I thought it was going to rain so I wore my raincoat to work and it turned out to be a really hot sunny day. Today I decided not to make the same mistake again, so I went to work without my coat and got absolutely drenched :cry:

Welcome to England.
5 x
: 6 / 100 100 Italian paperbacks:
: 306 / 75000 Output Challenge 2019 (普通话写作):

Lollygagging Podcast available on iTunes

Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Postby Daniel N. » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:34 pm

vonPeterhof wrote:Only the infinitives are (pronounced) the same, the conjugations are completely different: веду/везу, вела/везла, веди/вези, etc.

SImilar pairs exist in Croatian/Serbian, but only as perfective verbs with prefixes, and their meaning is different:

dovesti, dovede, doveo, dovela = bring (someone)
dovesti, doveze, dovezao, dovezla = come (by a vehicle)

Russian is here much more archaic...
4 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

Radioclare
Brown Belt

Postby Radioclare » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 pm

7 August
I been getting a cold since Saturday and today it was at a really annoying stage. So I don't feel like I've been as productive today as I should have been.

Russian
I worked from home but had lost motivation by about 6pm so stopped and did some Memrise. Lots of reviews again today, so I didn't learn any new words.

I was feeling virtuous now that the 6WC is back on again and decided to check my Croatian Memrise to see how many reviews I have waiting for me there. Anyone want to guess a number?! It was so high that I immediately closed the tab again and decided it definitely needed to wait for a day when I have more energy :lol:

In the evening I watched a new Russian Progress video three times (it was only a short video). I watched once without subtitles, once with the subtitles, and once while reading the transcript. I still can't decide which way is most useful.

I decided to have a day off from Colloquial Russian. If I feel more energetic tomorrow, I'll start chapter 11.

Total time = 46 minutes. Streak = 218 days
7 x

cjareck
Green Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:18 am

Radioclare wrote:Anyone want to guess a number?! It was so high that I immediately closed the tab again and decided it definitely needed to wait for a day when I have more energy :lol:

Well, but from your post, it seems to be so low that you are going to do it in one day. Base on that, I would presume something like 500.
1 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language
FSI Hebrew Basic Course
: 39 / 40

Avigdor Kahalani, עז 77 (Heigths of Courage)
: 17 / 200

DLI MSA Basic Course
: 11 / 140
Polish course Arabic for beginners
: 3 / 40

Radioclare
Brown Belt

Postby Radioclare » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:13 pm

cjareck wrote:Well, but from your post, it seems to be so low that you are going to do it in one day. Base on that, I would presume something like 500.

Sorry, the way I phrased it was a bit ambiguous, but it is definitely more than I will get through in a day...

8 August
Felt a bit better today but have got a very irritating cough. I was lucky that I didn't have any meetings planned for today so was able to work from home again.

Russian
Between finishing work and having dinner I did Russian Memrise. For some reason I had loads of reviews again today (175) so I didn't learn any new words. I spent some time trying to reduce the number of words flagged as being "difficult" for me (if you practise them enough times and get them right, the "difficult" flag disappears) in the hope that that might reduce the number of reviews I have tomorrow.

After dinner I decided to start chapter 11 of 'Colloquial Russian'. This chapter is definitely 100% new to me and that means I haven't input the vocabulary to Memrise yet for learning. So prepare for lots of log posts with me moaning about how long it takes to input the vocab next week :lol: I decided to just focus on the first dialogue in the chapter today but even in that, there was a lot of new vocab so I made slow progress. I have a premonition that this is going to be the chapter that introduces aspect, because suddenly the aspect of all the verbs in the vocab lists was marked (it hasn't been previously).

Total time = 47 minutes. Streak = 219 days

PS. I'm going camping for the weekend, so I may not update my log for a few days.
5 x

Radioclare
Brown Belt

Postby Radioclare » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:51 pm

9 August
I was working in Birmingham on Friday and had to sit through a really boring presentation about transfer pricing. I spent most of the time trying not to cough :lol: After work I travelled to where I was camping with my boyfriend for the weekend but everything that could go wrong with our journeys did go wrong, so it was quite a frustrating evening overall. And pouring with rain when we did ultimately arrive, so I was very glad that we were staying in a camping pod rather than a tent!

Russian
I did Memrise on my train to Birmingham as usual in the morning and another 20 minutes or so on my evening train to Shrewsbury. When I eventually got a seat on that train, I experimented with reading a bit of Colloquial Russian on my phone. At some point I virtuously paid for the e-book so I can theoretically read it on the Kindle app of my phone, but it doesn't always display perfectly. I don't know whether it would be better if I was reading it on an actual Kindle :? The main problem I was having on Friday night was that in the dialogue I was reading from chapter 11, there were no spaces between any of the words. That was an interesting test of my Cyrillic reading abilities :lol: What else? Earlier in the day I'd already completed lesson 21 of Pimsleur 3. By the time I got to the campsite, I was too tired/annoyed to do anything else and just went to bed.

Total time = 85 minutes. Streak = 220 days

10 August
We'd chosen one of the worst possible weekends for camping and it was threatening to rain all morning. By the evening things had really brightened up though and I was able to sit outside and do some Russian :)

Russian
I decide to make a serious attempt at chapter 11 of Colloquial Russian. The chapter starts with a long text about one of the characters trying to rent a flat in Moscow and it was full of vocabulary I didn't know. I forced myself to copy the entire text out by hand in the end to help me start getting to grips with the words, because I knew it was going to be a while before I got them all entered into Memrise so that I could learn them properly. That text was followed by a couple of dialogues which were a lot easier, or at least felt a lot easier to me. One of them was clearly for the purpose of teaching furniture vocabulary, but coincidentally I'd already been learning furniture vocabulary on Memrise earlier in the week, so that was some nice reinforcement.

As I suspected, the theme of this chapter is aspect, but it approaches it in a rather unusual way. Rather than starting by trying to explain what the difference between imperfective and perfective is in terms of meaning, it just states that verbs exist in pairs, explains how to form the future from perfective verbs and then launches into several pages listing pairs of verbs. The lists are helpful in that they are split between pairs that differentiate by the addition of prefixes and those that differentiate by what it calls internal modification. The second list in particular is really useful, because for me those are definitely the most difficult perfective verbs, and I'm sure I'll get a lot out of the chapter overall. I just thought it was a bit odd to have several pages on the topic without an explanation of when which verb should be used; if I didn't already have some knowledge of that, I think I'd be rather confused about why I was suddenly supposed to be memorising all these extra verbs.

Total time = 50 minutes. Streak = 221 days

Croatian
I spent about two hours reading 'Pakao u Madridu' before the daylight disappeared. I haven't read in Croatian for ages; partly on purpose, because I didn't want to addle my brain before going to Russia, and partly by accident because I've just been a bit rubbish with reading this year. It's a really good book and I think I'm enjoying reading it a lot more now that I know a lot more about Spain than I did the first time I read it in 2012. I got quite excited yesterday when some of the characters went to a cafe which I'd been to last time I was in Madrid :)

11 August
Writing that date, I've just realised that 20 years ago today I was in Switzerland. It was the first time I'd ever been abroad and I hadn't 100% decided whether I liked "abroad" or not :lol: But I remember the date because it was the solar eclipse, which everyone had been extremely excited about in the UK, and I was disappointed to be missing it. Feels like a lifetime ago now; if you'd told me then that one day I'd travel as much as I do now, I'm not sure I would have survived the shock :lol:

Russian
I didn't do any Russian until the evening when I got home from camping. I decided to start by catching up on my Memrise reviews, because I'd only had shaky internet while camping, so I'd completely neglected them. That took upwards of 20 minutes and then I went back to chapter 11 of Colloquial Russian and began the mindnumbingly boring task of trying to get all the vocabulary into Memrise. This is going to be a task which spreads into several evenings this week. Tonight, I managed to type up the vocab lists from the opening texts and dialogues, plus the list of imperfective/perfective verbs which differentiate with prefixes, but I didn't start the (much, much longer) list of verbs which differentiate by internal modification, and I didn't upload audio for any of them. So, definitely a work in progress!

Total time = 89 minutes. Streak = 222 days

Croatian (Serbian)
I haven't posted much about music this year, which is more accidental than deliberate. Over the past few weeks I've started listening to a girlband from Serbia called The Frajle. Girlbands are not normally my thing at all, but this one seems quite cool :)

4 x

StringerBell
Blue Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian: ~ C1 reading/listening and ? speaking
Polish : on hiatus
Latin: beginner

Postby StringerBell » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:11 pm

Radioclare wrote: but I didn't start the (much, much longer) list of verbs which differentiate by internal modification, and I didn't upload audio for any of them.

Where do you take the audio from and how do you upload it to Memrise? I've thought about making a course but I think I changed my mind when I realized it wouldn't have audio; I didn't even realize you could upload audio.
0 x
Italian goal: transcribe 10 episodes of Lucifer : 2 / 10

IronMike
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Current: Russian (2+L/2+R on DLPT5 in 2019; 2+S in 2014)
Maintaining: Italian (1L/2R on DLPT IV in 2019) and Esperanto (C1 on the KER skriba exam, 2017)
Lapsed: BCS (2S/3L/2+R once upon a time...not that now!)
Future?: Old English; Croatian; Cornish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:21 pm

Radioclare wrote:11 August
Writing that date, I've just realised that 20 years ago today I was in Switzerland. It was the first time I'd ever been abroad and I hadn't 100% decided whether I liked "abroad" or not :lol:

Makes sense. We were all about to die with Y2K just around the corner, so I can see why you were holding off on deciding if you liked "abroad" or not. :o
2 x
Language books for sale here. (Admin approved)

SC Esperanto films : 40 / 100
SC Esperanto books : 26 / 100
SC Russian films : 3 / 50
SC Russian books : 7 / 50
2019 365 Day Language Challenge : 172 / 365

Radioclare
Brown Belt

Postby Radioclare » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:59 pm

StringerBell wrote:
Radioclare wrote: but I didn't start the (much, much longer) list of verbs which differentiate by internal modification, and I didn't upload audio for any of them.

Where do you take the audio from and how do you upload it to Memrise? I've thought about making a course but I think I changed my mind when I realized it wouldn't have audio; I didn't even realize you could upload audio.

I download the audio from Forvo. At least for Russian it's really good and has the pronunciation of pretty much every word I've looked for :) When you're adding words to a course you've created, there should be a column for audio on the right and you've got the option either to upload or record. It's pretty easy to do; just a bit of a boring task!

4 x

Return to “Language logs”