Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Brown Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2019 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby Radioclare » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:19 pm

26 July
Cooler today and my train was running properly again. It was actually half empty in both directions; I think people were so traumatised by yesterday that they decided not to bother even trying to get to Birmingham today.

Russian
More Memrise on the train and I learned some interesting things this morning, like that посетить means to visit a place and навестить means to visit people. I only knew посетить before and would have used it in both circumstances.

I was working at a client which is about a 30 minute walk from the station, so I did lesson 15 of Pimsleur 3 on my way. This lesson was teaching constructions using "before" as a conjunction, which was something that I hadn't encountered before so really useful.

I failed to do any Colloquial Russian this evening - oops :oops:

Total time = 77 minutes. Streak = 207 days

Bulgarian
I practised the numbers again and made some more progress with my Memrise deck, adding some common greetings and expressions and downloading the audio from Forvo.

Total time = 11 minutes

Croatian
I've watched an episode of my series every night this week. The priest has finally kissed the girl and decided to raspopiti se. The moment when he takes his dog collar off is rather dramatic...

5 x

Radioclare
Brown Belt

Postby Radioclare » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:46 pm

27 July
I spent most of today in an Esperanto trustee meeting. The English summer has returned to normal and it rained all day :lol:

Russian
I only just managed to scrape 30 minutes into today because I didn't really have much time to myself. I was antisocial and went and sat in a different room to everybody else for a bit before the meeting officially kicked off, which enabled me to do 10 minutes of Memrise.

I eventually got another 20 minutes done while drinking wine in the late evening.

Total time = 32 minutes. Streak = 208 days

28 July
I was working in the Esperanto library all day today (cataloguing books) so I didn't have any opportunity to do any study until around 7pm once I was home.

Russian
I did a little bit of Memrise so that I don't have to start Monday morning with a huge backlog of reviews and then I felt really tired, so I watched an old Russian Progress video (that I hadn't previously seen) about St Petersburg while drinking coffee. It was quite a long one (over 20 minutes).

By the time I'd got to the end of that video I was sufficiently caffeinated to do some proper study. I reread the section in chapter 9 of Colloquial Russian about dates and then did quite a long exercise which for a list of dates required writing sentences like "Today is the 1st of May. On the 1st of May we are going to Moscow". This was a good test of whether I could remember both all of the ordinal numbers and all of the months of the year, and how to put the months into the genitive, but by the time I'd done lots of repetitions I felt like I was making progress. I actually surpassed my expectations and got most of the exercise correct; it was just my spelling which let me down in a few places.

Once I'd done that, I read the rest of the texts and dialogues in the chapter. It looks like the main grammar point is going to be the future tense, so I stopped when I got to the start of the grammar section and may tackle that tomorrow evening, subject to feeling sufficiently awake.

Total time = 54 minutes. Streak = 209 days

I didn't have time to do anything in Bulgarian or Croatian on either day, unfortunately. Except for listening to some Croatian music to dull the boredom of cataloguing :lol:
6 x

Radioclare
Brown Belt

Postby Radioclare » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:54 pm

29 July
I was in the office today and I had a three-hour internal meeting which drained my will to live.

Russian
I did Memrise on the train and in a wonderful twist of fate, given that I was practising dates the other day, the part of the Memrise Russian 3 course which I have got to is teaching months and ordinal numbers :) Definitely good reinforcement and practising on Memrise should help me to correct my spelling errors from the other day.

I completed lesson 16 of Pimsleur 3 on the way to the office. It was another one of those lessons where I'm not sure what I learned except that the word for translator is переводчик.

This evening I wanted to make some progress with the grammar in chapter 9 of Colloquial Russian. It turns out this chapter is only about the nice future tense, not the horribly difficult one, so that cheered me up. Once I'd made notes on the grammar points I was hoping to get through all of the exercises but there were so many of them that in the end I only got about a third of the way through. There are basically two pages of exercises where you are given a phrase in the present tense and you have to rewrite it, first in the past tense and then in the future. They're really useful exercises, but too much to get through in one evening.

Total time = 98 minutes. Streak = 209 days

Bulgarian
I started reading the Bulgarian phrasebook which I bought last week. The Lonely Planet phrasebooks have quite a good simplified grammar summary at the start. Overall I really like the look of Bulgarian so it's a shame that I won't have more time to try and properly learn some of it before I go to Bulgaria.

Total time = 13 minutes
5 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish+ (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German+, Italian+
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian, Czech; Romanian+, Galician; Danish, Swedish
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Chaucer's English
+ means exploring the dialects/variants

Postby Serpent » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:50 am

Radioclare wrote:It turns out this chapter is only about the nice future tense, not the horribly difficult one, so that cheered me up.
:lol:
I'm guessing the horribly difficult one is сделаю? But it's basically the present tense. I can see how attaching a prefix makes it difficult though :? The good news is that you can pick any perfective form you know and usually it will make sense. Much of the time you can also replace it with закончу делать (писать/читать/etc), or закончу/сделаю/доделаю + noun.

Через пять минут я закончу играть с котом.
В субботу я доделаю каталог книг на эсперанто.
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Radioclare
Brown Belt

Postby Radioclare » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:05 pm

Serpent wrote:I'm guessing the horribly difficult one is сделаю? But it's basically the present tense.

Yep, that's it! Knowing how to conjugate a perfective verb correctly is much harder than just sticking an auxiliary verb in front of an imperfective infinitive. And having a simple future tense (simple in the sense of not being a compound tense, rather than being easy :lol:) causes confusion for me when reading as a beginner. If it's a verb that I'm not familiar with, I don't necessarily know which version is imperfective and which is perfective, meaning that I can't always tell whether a sentence is written in the present tense or the future tense. For me this is one of the things which is making Russian grammar significantly more difficult than Croatian grammar.

30 July
I had a client meeting today but it didn't start until 10am and so I got a lie in until 07.30 :) And then I worked from home for the afternoon and got through a couple of challenging tasks.

Russian
My meeting required two short train journeys. I used the time to do Memrise, clocking up 35 minutes in total which is more Memrise than I manage most days. For some reason I had a shocking amount of reviews waiting for me today, so I needed that time to get through them.

This evening I wanted to make more progress with Colloquial Russian, but I got annoyed with something in my inbox and had some alcohol to wind down. Wine and serious grammar study don't really mix, so instead I watched another Russian Progress video interviewing polyglots about their experiences of learning Russian.

Total time = 56 minutes. Streak = 210 days
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish+ (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German+, Italian+
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian, Czech; Romanian+, Galician; Danish, Swedish
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Chaucer's English
+ means exploring the dialects/variants

Postby Serpent » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:31 pm

Radioclare wrote:If it's a verb that I'm not familiar with, I don't necessarily know which version is imperfective and which is perfective, meaning that I can't always tell whether a sentence is written in the present tense or the future tense.
Umm I think some affixes (prefixes and suffixes) are only possible in perfective verbs and others in imperfective... as a native I don't know how well the rules work :lol:
Imo you shouldn't think of them as different versions of the same verb, but simply related verbs. There are generally multiple perfective forms based on the same root, some of which can be converted back to imperfective with more affixes :oops: :lol:
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Radioclare
Brown Belt

Postby Radioclare » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:11 pm

31 July
I was at a client today, but it was fairly local so it just involved my normal commute. And they locked up at 5, which was good news :)

Russian
I did Memrise on the train and fortunately I didn't have as many reviews as yesterday so was able to learn some new words. I think I'm about two thirds of the way through the Russian 3 course now.

While walking to the client I had enough time to do lesson 17 of Pimsleur 3. There were some pretty long sentences in this one, so I got a bit lost at times. Funnily enough, after me complaining about the perfective future yesterday, that's part of what I was practising today. I guess that was useful.

This evening I tried a bit more writing in Russian. Still painful :lol:

Total time = 100 minutes. Streak = 211 days
4 x

Radioclare
Brown Belt

Postby Radioclare » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:01 pm

Why did none of you tell me that I can't count?! :lol:

Radioclare wrote:28 July
Total time = 54 minutes. Streak = 209 days

Radioclare wrote:29 July
Total time = 98 minutes. Streak = 209 days
1 x

cjareck
Green Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:16 pm

Radioclare wrote:Why did none of you tell me that I can't count?!

Because we can't count either :D
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language
FSI Hebrew Basic Course
: 39 / 40

Avigdor Kahalani, עז 77 (Heigths of Courage)
: 17 / 200

DLI MSA Basic Course
: 11 / 140
Polish course Arabic for beginners
: 3 / 40

Radioclare
Brown Belt

Postby Radioclare » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:57 pm

1 August
I had to go to Milton Keynes for a meeting today, so spent quite a lot of time travelling.

Russian
I did Memrise on my normal train to Birmingham. I needed to work on my second train, but over the course of all today's journeys I got through lesson 18 of Pimsleur. It wasn't ideal, because I did it in small chunks of less than 10 minutes at a time when walking between different places. I feel like I get more out of it if I can do most of a lesson in one chunk.

This evening I finished chapter 9 of Colloquial Russian. There were so many exercises in this one! I counted that in total there were 41 sentences, all of which were given in the present tense and had to be rewritten in the past and future. Some of them were easy but some of them were really hard (and I got them wrong :lol: ). It occurred to me halfway through that it would probably have been quicker to type my answers rather than write them out by hand, but never mind. I'm looking forward to starting chapter 10 because I feel this might be around the point I quit Colloquial Russian last time, so the next chapter may be new :)

Total time = 88 minutes. Streak = 213 days
3 x

Return to “Language logs”